S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
And my 7700K is stable at 4.8/4.9 and 5GHz with no AVX offset, but gets to 90c VERY FAST if over 1.30volts when stress testing it with a custom x264 16T Loop, ROG Realbench, and Prime94 v27.9, Linpack (a custom XTU load) & other stability testing programs and setup from this Kaby Lake Overclock.net thread, I'm going to do some more temperature testing today, reapply my thermal paste and see if it was that, swap back to the stock NH-L9i fan and see if it helps... so I can get some stable stock and OC temperature readings, before I delid, cuz I can't go back from a delild to compare temps. I suspect that the small cooler and limited space is to blame for the high temperatures, even with the scythe at 100% 2000RPMs. So I might absolutely have to delid if I'm going to run this thing at 5GHz below 90c with such a small cooler and once it's in the S4, too.

For what it is worth, I get the same temperatures with the NH-C14S in dual fan mode blasting on at 2000RPM when I overclock my i7700k outside the case with similar settings. It is annoying that the temperature appears to spike from 30 to 60 to 90 not caring what my settings are on the cooler. I really miss that feeling of responsiveness from the 2600k.
It will be interesting to see if a delid will improve my temperatures.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
When I delidded my 3570K @ stock clocks under a C7 nothing actually changed aha
That was in an Ncase M1, and i'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere. Nothing detrimental but at least something that gave me no positive benefits.

Or maybe the heat was soaking the C7, I'm not sure.

Just again to be clear, I blame myself for my lack of results, and it definitely didn't get worse.

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Looks like it will be a nice build. However running a 7700K, OC'd, with an NH-L9i, and 1080 in a mini seems like it will be problematic.
Sadly, yes I will certainly see some CPU heat issues.
Right now though at the BIOS's auto voltage of 1.296 its idling at 39c
with the original voltage of 1.240 it idles at 37-39c.

BTW I swapped back to the Original NH-L9i fan and i think my temps dropped a bit (like 3-4c at idle), probably because this fan seems to be operating at a higher default RPM on the same fan curve, while being noticeably more silent when the CPU hits full load and the fan spins up near 100%.... HMM... I really like the look of the Scythe but if its performance isn't good enough I'll stick with the stock NH-l9i fan. I will double check the fans though, since when I reapplied my thermal paste i noticed my first application wasn't perfect, now I think i nailed it, so it's just a matter of swapping the fans around the checking temps.

A delid is inevitable with the 7700k in sff cases lol.
YUP, I'm just itching to do it at this point. I dont know if i should wait to have the PC all built with S4 and 1080mini, or just do it now, lol.

EDIT: So I was able to be at stock 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 with the stock 1.24v, with zero idle temp gain and using a custom x264 loop from overclock.net, I averaged (at 90c stock), 90.5, 91, 91.5, 92.5, 93, 94c. Gonna try for 4.9 stable if not I'll see what vcore I need to reach it and if it's worth it.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I really want to buy a Delid tool, but the good ones are all not in production.

It doesn't make a huge difference for small air coolers though...I don't think it is worth the risk or hassle. But once your CPU block reaches room temperature under load with heavy duty cooling setups then it can make a huge difference.

Also yes, Cublan Legend is certified nuts with this build. So we make a good team. :)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I really want to buy a Delid tool, but the good ones are all not in production.

It doesn't make a huge difference for small air coolers though...I don't think it is worth the risk or hassle. But once your CPU block reaches room temperature under load with heavy duty cooling setups then it can make a huge difference.

Also yes, Cublan Legend is certified nuts with this build. So we make a good team. :)
I bought a Rockit Delid and Relid tool from their site here: https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/collections/all There's a popup that they've temporarily halted production but will be back today, so see if you can snag one delid/relid set from them? :)

I think if my current stress test temps are correct, I will probably be hitting 80's or 85c at load during gaming once I'm in the S4 mini, pre-delid. With a delid I could dorp those temps to the mid-low 70s, and my stress test temps could potentially drop to low 80's mid/high 70's. Possibly a worthy $40 investment for longterm CPU life with an overclock. :)

Reactions: winterfart1

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
HMM... I really like the look of the Scythe but if its performance isn't good enough I'll stick with the stock NH-l9i fan. I will double check the fans though, since when I reapplied my thermal paste i noticed my first application wasn't perfect, now I think i nailed it, so it's just a matter of swapping the fans around the checking temps.

I am going to do a color change on my NF-A9x14 sometime next week. I will post methodology and results in this thread. We have a very similar color theme so I hope to return with good news.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Maybe I can buy yours off you ;)
Good idea, makes sense actually, once I delid my i7-7700K properly I wont need that delid kit anymore, as a proper CLU application and relid sealing should last the life of the CPU. :D I'm itching to delid it but I really should wait until I run some stress/temp comparisons inside the S4, pre-delid so I can have the open testbench and S4 mini temp comparisons before I go through the point of no return.

I am going to do a color change on my NF-A9x14 sometime next week. I will post methodology and results in this thread. We have a very similar color theme so I hope to return with good news.
This is great news! I hope it works well and doesn't unbalance the fan. :D

Reactions: ricochet

Calvin

Chassis Packer
Feb 5, 2017
YUP, I'm just itching to do it at this point. I dont know if i should wait to have the PC all built with S4 and 1080mini, or just do it now, lol.

You should delid now so if anything goes wrong you can stick it back together and return it as a faulty cpu lol.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Apparently, from an interesting article I read, deliding is extremely easy to detect I doubt any manufacture or retailer would fall for that one... at least one would hope! ;-)

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I'd assume "running out of specifications" would include the physical specification, as well as the operational spec. They aren't too clear, but with the vagueness of their terms, it should leave it open to this.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
So while researching Intel CPU's, i noticed the 7700t has a T-Junction of 80c while the 7700k has a T-Junction of 100c.

T-Junction is listed as: "Junction Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die." Which says to me: "This is the temp we will start thermal throttling you".

https://ark.intel.com/products/97122/Intel-Core-i7-7700T-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz
https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz

So i was wondering if it would be better to get a K series CPU instead and just undervolt / underclock it. What do you guys think? How do you figure out when you've undervolted enough to be down to around the 35w level of a T processor anyhow? What are the odds my final clock speeds will be comparable or better than the T variant? I haven't really touched a motherboard since before Intel started doing K variant CPU's (still rocking an i7-920), have they taken all cpu clock/voltage options away from non Z motherboards? Would a Z motherboard be required to do it this way?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
So i was wondering if it would be better to get a K series CPU instead and just undervolt / underclock it. What do you guys think? How do you figure out when you've undervolted enough to be down to around the 35w level of a T processor anyhow?

This is the approach I'm planning on taking. (Currently have a 4790K, may upgrade.)

How do you figure out? Well, you measure! There are software tools that can measure but they're allegedly pretty unreliable. Besides that, you can just straight-up measure the total Wattage your computer is pulling from the wall without a GPU installed. You can get a pretty good estimate of how much the CPU specifically is pulling since that'll be the heaviest hitter without a GPU.

According to software, with a locked 34x multiplier (from 36x) I was able to undervolt my CPU enough to be a ~65W chip according to software. Which, again, that's allegedly unreliable, but my temperatures under a Noctua NH L9i are comfortably under 80C at all times unless I really stress test the chip.