S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Could you machine a few mm recess into the rear of the bezel to make room for the 1080 heatsink in a rectangular shape? Perhaps even take it 1 step further and allow the GPU heatsink to make contact with the bezel as a giant heatsink extension for extra thermal performance?!

NotungX

Caliper Novice
Nov 3, 2016
Here is how I recommend you go about it:

If you have a unit without threadlocker, they will unscrew by hand. If they don't, and you have given it a good try, then use some tape or a cloth so you dont scratch your chassis, and use channellocks (or whatever you call them in your neck of the woods).

The channellocks did the trick!! Thanks a ton mate!

Reactions: ricochet

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Wait a minute... isn't it possible to just mount the wrap around bezel a few mm away from the interior case? with like a longer standoff or something? (im not sure on how the bezel is mounted, sorry). In order to fit the 1080mini without modding it or the S4 mini? @Zero @Josh | NFC and then just tape some thermal pad between the end of the card and the gap to the wrap-around bezel so the bezel can dissipate heat from the card too?

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I think the biggest issue is that fanm if we're talking about keeping the card in tact.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Damn, that will be nice having the HDPLEX cabling sleeved.

I hope that was a typo because I thought I was building an all black 2" 24 pin, not sleeving it. I'm nowhere near skilled enough to sleeve 2."

sounds like a good reason to cut a hole in the bezel :)

If you are going to cut a hole in the bezel, I agree, this is a reason for it. Or alternatively, because it sounded good at the time.

Wait a minute... isn't it possible to just mount the wrap around bezel a few mm away from the interior case? with like a longer standoff or something? (im not sure on how the bezel is mounted, sorry). In order to fit the 1080mini without modding it or the S4 mini? @Zero @Josh | NFC and then just tape some thermal pad between the end of the card and the gap to the wrap-around bezel so the bezel can dissipate heat from the card too?

You could do that with a flat bezel but it wraps around the chassis so there is no way to do this.

Could you machine a few mm recess into the rear of the bezel to make room for the 1080 heatsink in a rectangular shape? Perhaps even take it 1 step further and allow the GPU heatsink to make contact with the bezel as a giant heatsink extension for extra thermal performance?!

I think cutting out the bezel and adding a second decorative LAZER bezel might work. If only I knew a guy who did LAZER work. ;)

---------------------------------------------

I'm TRULY 100% honored to have customers and fans that want to get a 1080 in a S4 MINI despite all the challenges. At the same time I want to remind everyone that there are LOTS of really cool indie SFF projects out there that already fit the Zotac 1080 mini, especially on this forum. So if you were linked here from NFC stuff check 'em out first!

Thanks everyone. :)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I hope that was a typo because I thought I was building an all black 2" 24 pin, not sleeving it. I'm nowhere near skilled enough to sleeve 2."

If you are going to cut a hole in the bezel, I agree, this is a reason for it. Or alternatively, because it sounded good at the time.

You could do that with a flat bezel but it wraps around the chassis so there is no way to do this.

I think cutting out the bezel and adding a second decorative LAZER bezel might work. If only I knew a guy who did LAZER work. ;)

---------------------------------------------

I'm TRULY 100% honored to have customers and fans that want to get a 1080 in a S4 MINI despite all the challenges. At the same time I want to remind everyone that there are LOTS of really cool indie SFF projects out there that already fit the Zotac 1080 mini, especially on this forum. So if you were linked here from NFC stuff check 'em out first!

Thanks everyone. :)
About the sleeving comment, I understand not sleeving the 24pin, but the rest of the HDPLEX wires are both cut to length and sleeved as part of the "wire mod", correct?

I also thought this, now that Josh mentioned that we'd still have to worry about that wrap around end of the bezel disallowing it to be mounted further out.

Then again... Now I'm starting to think about what if we just shave a recess into the bezel where the card would touch it, so the bezel can be installed in it's original spot and the card can fit inside the recess. @Josh | NFC I think you were the one who mentioned cutting a recess into the bezel, (maybe I'm remembering wrong)... but how HARD would it be to do that? What kind of tool would one need to accomplish this? I know I'm getting ahead of myself as I dont yet know exactly how much would need to be trimmed/shaven off the inside of the bezel to fit the card.

Or what about this metal mesh from Caselabs? I bought one and recieved it recently, I was thinking about extending the GPU cutout on the S4 mini to mount this and just run the S4mini without a bezel. But I think it's too big of a cover, I might consider cutting the cover, and rebending it to fit inside the current cutout. But this would be a last resort if I really couldn't get the bezel to fit over the card, and had to run the case without a bezel, lol. I'm sorry guys, I'm just too in love with the Wrap-around bezel that I'd do anything to keep it and the 1080mini!

But aside from all this bezel talk, as a sidenote, @Zero was technically able to show us that the 1080mini DOES fit inside the S4 mini if you remove the bezel and it DOES require removing the bezel in order to slide it in... so I'd say it's safe to say that it does fit inside the S4 mini (with a caveat). If someone doesn't mind not having the bezel and having the card slightly stick out the front, it WILL fit without modding the card, which is awesome. :)

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
It's your fault for making such an attractive case, @Josh | NFC! I think your personality, interactivity, and efforts into marketing (i.e. YouTube and the nice site) give you a nice edge.

Really, on paper there isn't much that my (relative) layperson's eyes can tell between your case and the Logic Supply MC600--but your product is a lot more aesthetically pleasing, it's designed by an enthusiast, and I know that I can talk to an actual human (who certainly shares a common language) who has probably tried or thought of what I'm asking about. The MC600 is 'a product that would probably work' but it doesn't have the same experience and aesthetic associated with it.

And I'm picking on a finished, 'industrial' case here, but I think the S4 Mini's big edge over other custom cases is how close it is to (re)production/how tangible it is. What's scary to me (for Indie projects like this) is how saturated this market might become with cases by manufacturers either this year or the next.

But, to spring off of Josh's suggestion of seeking out other cases, I'm happy to see the Sentry and !nverse get far along enough to start crowdfunding. They're both catered towards using full-size GPUs. Definitely check out the Custom Cases & Project section, there's a ton of cool projects here and in most cases you'd be interacting directly with the designer in their respective thread.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I'm not trying to poopoo on the Sentry or the !nverse... but I honestly feel like the S4 Mini marries form and function better than those two. (Sure the S4 mini has the DC-DC power supply and the power brick as a HUGE caveat for some buyers) But I feel like the S4 is a work of art that functions superbly as a SFF PC case smaller than consoles (at 4.3L), where the other two are SFF PC cases might allow for SFX PSUs and no power bricks but sacrifice case size and don't execute the art side of the design as sharply and beautifully as the S4.

Here's how I illustrate how I feel, if you put the S4, Sentry and !nverse next to each other in an art gallery with fancy lighting and asked me which one I preferred, I'd say the S4, and I wouldn't look back at the other two even after telling me it would require an external power brick. I do recognize I'm biased (call me a bezel-whore if you want, lol) but that's life, certain art pops out at some people but not others. I've seen countless times how a person can walk into my cousin's art gallery and see a piece of art they just had to have and wouldn't take no for an answer, willing to pay any price for it. And in that same vein, I could see someone pick the Sentry or Inverse over the other two if presented with all 3, but I just can't see myself picking the other two when the S4 exists.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Or what about this metal mesh from Caselabs? I bought one and recieved it recently, I was thinking about extending the GPU cutout on the S4 mini to mount this and just run the S4mini without a bezel. But I think it's too big of a cover, I might consider cutting the cover, and rebending it to fit inside the current cutout. But this would be a last resort if I really couldn't get the bezel to fit over the card, and had to run the case without a bezel, lol. I'm sorry guys, I'm just too in love with the Wrap-around bezel that I'd do anything to keep it and the 1080mini!

This is the exact mod I am planning for the S4 Mini. I'm trying to find a machine shop right now that can do a really good job rather than chancing things with my dremel skills.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Bwahaha! That's teenage Josh's motherboard budget at work there!

P.S. the heatsink on the backside on the PCB of the 1070 can reach 75C on an open air bench in light gaming. I love the sticky rubber bumper idea, but its going to get really gross really fast.

Reactions: Phuncz

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Anybody else have trouble getting their ASUS Strix Z270i Gaming motherboard to post? :-P

XD That reminds me, I ordered one SY1212SL12H-P and SY1012SL12H-P directly from that Scythe email you posted, for 10$ each, free shipping. They are on their way now. Can't wait to get everything together, eventually. I feel like I've truly got the best possible combo to cool the 7700K inside the case, I can't wait to get it all built eventually and to temp/overclock tests both pre and post delid. thanks for the idea to mount that 100mm scythe on top of the noctua Heatsink for better cooling. What did you need to mount it btw, did you have to buy any extra stuff?

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
Just for taunting us, I hope you got a dud!

Awwww, sad words make me sad. I am individually sleeving and shortening the 24-pin, both 8-pins, and the 6-pin PSU cords. Figured since I'm sure there's at least another couple week wait for the board, I can get as much done as possible before that time comes. Wasn't to taunt. :) Already desoldered, shortened, sleeved, re-soldered and heatshrunk the CPU Cooler fan.

Bwahaha! That's teenage Josh's motherboard budget at work there!

P.S. the heatsink on the backside on the PCB of the 1070 can reach 75C on an open air bench in light gaming. I love the sticky rubber bumper idea, but its going to get really gross really fast.

I already have a plan to remove them. It involves drilling into the GPU's PCB, so wish me luck. :)

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
XD That reminds me, I ordered one SY1212SL12H-P and SY1012SL12H-P directly from that Scythe email you posted, for 10$ each, free shipping. They are on their way now. Can't wait to get everything together, eventually. I feel like I've truly got the best possible combo to cool the 7700K inside the case, I can't wait to get it all built eventually and to temp/overclock tests both pre and post delid. thanks for the idea to mount that 100mm scythe on top of the noctua Heatsink for better cooling. What did you need to mount it btw, did you have to buy any extra stuff?

No extra hardware required at all. The 100mm fan has 92mm and 100mm mounting holes already on it.

Reactions: CubanLegend

nfilipac

Chassis Packer
Nov 11, 2016
Another question, hopefully this one is less dumb: have any of you guys installed LED strips in the case? If yes, how so? I was looking to buy a molex powered strip and pinning out the wires to a fan connector, but I'm not 100% sure that would work and really don't wanna blow up my mobo. Thanks!

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Another question, hopefully this one is less dumb: have any of you guys installed LED strips in the case? If yes, how so? I was looking to buy a molex powered strip and pinning out the wires to a fan connector, but I'm not 100% sure that would work and really don't wanna blow up my mobo. Thanks!
I haven't installed it in this case yet since I'm still using my ncase, but look into dark side LED strips.
They have lots of options for how to power them out of the box, including fan headers.