S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
... Good catch, I'll have to change that soon. I just looked at my Pico, and the connector I was basing it off of was the one attached to the P4 ATX connector. Those links are correct for the P4 ATX side, but the peripherals side is different. I'll get some links up for the correct connector housing. As far as experience, I just ordered the connectors and should receive them in a week tops (again, thanks for pointing that out, otherwise I would be sitting here wondering why the square peg won't fit in the round hole...) Another thing is I don't have a Mini yet, I've sent Josh an email to see if he has any left unclaimed from this current batch/run (hoping for a blue one), so it'll be a while until I can wire it up for the correct lengths of wire, but I will report back when the connectors come in and let everyone know if they fit or not.

Edit: Links updated/found, I'll post them here as well for convenience.

PicoPSU Header Connectors:

P4 ATX Header: Housing & Pins

Peripheral Header(s): Housing & Pins

*Note these connectors work for the Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT, other models I'm unsure of... would be kinda stupid to use completely different connectors on other models though if it's the same brand...

**The peripheral housing link also has a schematic of a 5 pin housing, don't be confused, it's just a generic schematic pic for that series of connector. If you look at the "Product Attributes", it is correctly listed as a 4 pin (listed as 4 "position" 1 "row").

***These pins are very small, so for a proper crimp, you'll probably want a crimp tool for these smaller pins (or use the one you've already got or even a pair of small needle-nose pliers might work). Digi-Key sells the official tool for this, but I doubt most of us are willing to pay 500 USD for one tool, so use this LINK to find some alternatives if you wish; or just Google "JST crimp tool" for more/other options.

I ordered a bunch of the pins and headers. I have a normal crimper which I suspect may do the job since I have 3 different sizes on my die, but we'll see. I'll report back once I get everything and try it :D

Shaun

Chassis Packer
Apr 23, 2016
The issue is not exactly the pico but rather the power brick you have driving it. The pico can be viewed as simply a power distribution block with the main power coming from the power brick. In my testing (65 watt cpu (undervolted and IGPU disable for 45 watt operation) and the 120 watt GPU) my system peaks at 215 watts under artificial stress testing and around 180 watts while gaming. So that 192 watt power brick might not be up to par with powering the system for extended periods of time near its max power output. Pair the Pico with a stronger 12 volt power adapter (like the xbox one adapter I am using) and you should not see any more issues (I have not come across any issues with my rig).

For any interested, here is the link to my build log where I detail my power numbers and some of the modifications I did to the pico.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-systems-s4-mini-72-build.740/

Seems like you're right - I've just run some numbers on my watt meter, my setup running unigine is already pulling somewhere around 190 W. Which is right at the limit of the adapter that came with the Pico. I guess we'll have to stick to the 240W and 330W adapters, or use lower TDP GPUs if we want to stick with a sub 200W adapter.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Unigine valley is not a big wattage consumer even on gpu.

If you want to stress your psu, it's prime 95 on all cpu core + furmark @ max resolution.

BUT, it's not recommended as you can exceed too much pico psu limits and melded it. Some feedbacks mentionned melted plugs using gtx 970 even with hdplex.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Unigine valley is not a big wattage consumer even on gpu.

If you want to stress your psu, it's prime 95 on all cpu core + furmark @ max resolution.

BUT, it's not recommended as you can exceed too much pico psu limits and melded it. Some feedbacks mentionned melted plugs using gtx 970 even with hdplex.

Hey Marc, on your build using the VC45 - what thermal grease did you use? ID-cooling/Noctua/Arctic?

Last edited:

loc125

Caliper Novice
Jun 21, 2016
hey guys, any news on the Gigabyte GTX 1070 ITX OC edition? placed my order....expecting delivery on Friday ;D, wanted to know if anyone installed it into the S4 Mini yet.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I'd be interested to know if it fits, especially with a HDPlex 7.4mm x 5mm barrel connector on PCB.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Yeah, I suppose you could relocate the power plug to the vent area right behind the GPU, next to the 2.5" drive mounts.

kirin

Chassis Packer
Jul 1, 2016
Does anyone have an EVGA 1060 SC in their S4 case? I'm finding that without external cooling (fan/ac) the card gets really toasty in certain games. Albeit it is summer time and it just one game ((Metro Last Light) specifically.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Does anyone have an EVGA 1060 SC in their S4 case? I'm finding that without external cooling (fan/ac) the card gets really toasty in certain games. Albeit it is summer time and it just one game ((Metro Last Light) specifically.

Mine's just arrived - but I don't have my S4 yet.

Are you using yours with a PicoPSU setup; what is the power draw on Metro LL/what res?

Planning to do some load testing over the weekend (open air).

Last edited:

kirin

Chassis Packer
Jul 1, 2016
Using an HDPLEX 250 with the Dell 330w and 180-195 watts at 100% load. Everything is stock settings and the power limit is at 100%. At 55% fan speed, closed case and no active external cooling it runs around 86c. The Metro Redux series have always been quite rough on gpus though. Was running at max settings at 1080p, no AA.

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Using an HDPLEX 250 with the Dell 330w. I don't have my wattmeter with me but everything is stock settings and the power limit is at 100%. At 55% fan speed, closed case and no active external cooling it runs around 86c. The Metro Redux series have always been quite rough on gpus though. Was running at max settings at 1080p, no AA.
I'm waiting for the SSC (to put in a A4) as I don't like the orientation of the cooling fins on the SC heatsink. Maybe try removing the shroud (unless the fan comes with it) to see if that helps the temps? See also https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/s4-25.390/#post-6171 for @Josh | NFC having his way with a Zotac 970 IIRC.

kirin

Chassis Packer
Jul 1, 2016
The problem is that in closed case environment the fan just isn't pushing enough cool air and heat just builds up. Fortunately, I am running a table fan 24/7 nearby which does help. In this case, I'm getting around 77-80c in Last Light. Keep in mind every other game (BF4, Witcher 3) I am getting temps within the 70s, it just the 4A engine that a killer lol. The 86c was really a worst case scenario that I was testing. I might consider removing the shroud in the future though. Thanks for the suggestions and comments guys.

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
I have the new inno3D GTX 1060 (compact) card and am running it with an HDPLEX 250 and the Dell 330w adapter with the rest of the system geared toward low wattage/low voltage. It seems very stable so far.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yes i noticed inno 3d was using radiators with vertical fins which is optimal for s4 mini...in fact that's the only one gtx 1060 i 've found with vertical fins.
On the contrry i've found no rx460 with vertical fins...a shame.

What about noise on inno3d, does it have passive cooling at low load?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
vertical fins which is optimal for s4 mini

Why is that optimal for the S4? Horizontal fins allow more airflow over the parts most distant from the fan and allow a lot of air to exhaust through the back. Vertical fins restrict the airflow to the heatsink area underneath the fan, so part of the heatsink is barely used at all, and a lot of heat gets pushed towards the mainboard.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
What you are saying is true also about vertical fins. Horizontal fins blows half of heat (r9 nano) inside the case...it's just missing front grid/cutout for optimal cooling..:)

So I'm ok for horizontal fins but with offseted fan on right of gpu for best cooling.

MrNintend0

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2016
I'm kinda hoping they come out with an RX470 mini instead no matter which way the fins are pointed... Also, as an update, I got the connectors an pins in, I can confirm they fit the PICO-160XT. No pictures yet though, still waiting for an S4 to make the wires.

Reactions: zhl146