S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
So something like this?

Bead blasted sides and brushed aluminum wraparound. That looks nice :)

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Tbh, I would still like the powder coated panels. I just want the 5mm "band" to be silver aluminum.

But this also looks good though.

Reactions: MrNintend0

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Tbh, I would still like the powder coated panels. I just want the 5mm "band" to be silver aluminum.

But this also looks good though.

Your suggestions are much welcomed. I don't have a good path forward to having powdercoating be the base option anymore. All S4 Minis will start their life as anodized, and then I will powdercoat ones and put them up from time to time. These will be special editions. I like the idea for a pearl white...most people HATE that color so it was interesting to see it suggested.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I think I remember somewhere seeing you say the 1070 mini was too tall, was that because it wouldn't physically fit in the case, or because it blocks the barrel connector hole for the PSU?
Maybe both? :p

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Maybe both. I really would love to borrow one from a forum member to test out. I could pay shipping if in the US.

I would buy one myself, but it looks too iffy to make that purchase.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
If it hasn't been tested before I get my hands on one of your cases I'll buy a gigabyte 1060 mini and see how it fits, since it seems to be the same dimensions as the 1070 mini. :)
You could ask firewolfy on [H] if he'd share, though he might be too busy testing his own case for that.

MrNintend0

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2016
Your suggestions are much welcomed. I don't have a good path forward to having powdercoating be the base option anymore. All S4 Minis will start their life as anodized, and then I will powdercoat ones and put them up from time to time. These will be special editions. I like the idea for a pearl white...most people HATE that color so it was interesting to see it suggested.
Well darn. Does this mean this run won't be powdered? I'd like to get one either way, but that's a [slight] bummer if it isn't... If it's only going to be anodized, are there any color options (if many) that you're liking?

Don't understand why people don't like a pearl white, my mother's Ford Fusion is a pearl white and I think it's gorgeous; way better than the plain gloss white I see all the time come through my work.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Well darn. Does this mean this run won't be powdered? I'd like to get one either way, but that's a [slight] bummer if it isn't... If it's only going to be anodized, are there any color options (if many) that you're liking?

Don't understand why people don't like a pearl white, my mother's Ford Fusion is a pearl white and I think it's gorgeous; way better than the plain gloss white I see all the time come through my work.

I love painting and powdercoating...it is very important to me, which is why I am not making it the default. I want it to be done right, and with how things changed, it wasn't being done right or fast enough.

There will be a very small amount of powdercoated S4s available with the preorders, but they will be a bit more expensive to pay for the powder.

I'm bummed about how it turned out too, but this will be the best way and hopefully everyone will win in the end once I get painting/coating figured out again. :)

Reactions: CXH4

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
Sad about the powder coating situation...
I don't have a 1070 mini but if you want to borrow my inno3D 1060 compact for testing you may.
I'd just slap my 750ti back in during testing. I'm hoping to put it in one of your cases eventually.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
That's amazing of you! I decided I needed to get a 1060 to do official testing though for the PSU and all that since it fits so nicely. Thank you VERY much for the offer though!

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
Hey everyone. This is my first post but I have been lurking this forum for some time and have to say I really like this site! Anyway I am currently on the waiting list for an S4 Mini from Josh and really looking forward to it.

(I recently replaced my previous main build with an Ncase m1 with an 6600k and Gtx 1060.)

The old build will be converted to an htpc and will hopefully be fitted inside an S4 Mini at some point in time. The build will include the following hardware:

- i7 3770 HT disabled, Turboboost disabled
- Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz ddr3 2x4gb ram
- Thermolab LP53 with Nocuta nf-a9x14
- P8H77i Asus motherboard

Parts that are still to be considered are GPU and PSU. When it comes to PSU I am definitely thinking about the Pico XT-160 along with the 192W Power Adapter.

I all ready have an HP 230W 19V efficiency V power supply lying around that I could use with a pico-box Z4 200W, however I am unsure about the quality compared with the XT160. Any suggestions are welcome.

When it comes to the GPU I currently have an extra Palit GTX 750ti Kalmx, this is a passive card and I was originally planning to try and fit it with a scythe slipstream slim fan. However I now think that this card with a fan will simply not fit in the S4. Also I do not see it as a good idea putting a completely passive card in such a small case with no airflow. Another plan is to go with the upcoming GTX1050. Hopefully the TDP will be under the 75W mark.

Any suggestions/input about PSU and GPU or other parts of this planned build would be greatly appreciated.

I also would like to thank Josh for already answering some of the question I had about the S4 Mini.

Josh: Will offering the base version of the S4 Mini as a fully anodized case have any impact on price going forward?

Last edited:
Reactions: CXH4

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
Thank you.

I do not have a set budget per say. However I have a few things that are important to me when putting together this build.

- Portability (I will be moving the system around and thinking about getting 2 power adapters)
- Noise (low noise is a priority, it does not need to be silent, but I would like it to be reasonably quiet.)

I will be gaming at 1080p with this computer.

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
Thank you.

I do not have a set budget per say. However I have a few things that are important to me when putting together this build.

- Portability (I will be moving the system around and thinking about getting 2 power adapters)
- Noise (low noise is a priority, it does not need to be silent, but I would like it to be reasonably quiet.)

I will be gaming at 1080p with this computer.

With the build you're planning a 160XT with its accompanying power brick should be just fine, so you wouldn't need 2 power adapters. So the 6600K and 1060 should work just fine. Unless you run both the CPU and GPU overclocked, and do 100% artificial load. Other than that, gaming should be more than okay. :)

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
I see that my first post might have caused some confusion. The build that I will put in the s4 mini is the i7 3770 no HT and a new gpu. The 6600k and 1060 is my main system.

But I find it interesting that it is possible to power a 6600k and 1060 of a single power brick. Makes me a lot more confident about the xt160 and 192w adapter. However I was looking at a little less power hungry option for the S4 Mini, hopefully something with an lower TDP. I am interested in what Nvidia will bring to the table with the gtx1050.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I see that my first post might have caused some confusion. The build that I will put in the s4 mini is the i7 3770 no HT and a new gpu. The 6600k and 1060 is my main system.

But I find it interesting that it is possible to power a 6600k and 1060 of a single power brick. Makes me a lot more confident about the xt160 and 192w adapter. However I was looking at a little less power hungry option for the S4 Mini, hopefully something with an lower TDP. I am interested in what Nvidia will bring to the table with the gtx1050.

I have a shiny new 1060 and a 65w i7 I will be testing tomorrow with my Pico kit INSIDE a S4 Mini. If it passes I will officially recommend it...which isn't really official as I just sell a computer case. But it will be mad scientist endorsed!

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
If I could add that I had the opportunity to purchase an S3 from Josh and currently finishing a build in it. As you can see in the pics I just received my new GTX 1060 which I will be running an I5-6400t (35w) on a 150w Pico PSU. The only drive I have in it is a 128gb samsung m.2. I'll be testing it in a few minutes and hopefully it will be a successful one lol.