S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
So I found a BluFixx pen lying around. It seals the screwholes very well, and is very easy to sharpie over. Problem (mostly) solved :p

Psyphil

Case Bender
May 21, 2016
Hello, first post here!

I'm planning to build a "Console PC" to bring to parties and stuff, playing games like Rocket League and Dungeon Defenders 2 as the most demanding ones. But I have no experience building SFF computers and certainly not using DC-DC PSUs.

My planned parts so far are:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KTD6nQ

• CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor
  • Motherboard: Asus H110I-PLUS D3/CSM Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
If I've done it right it should fit the S4 Mini but I need help with picking PSU, Chassi fan(s), Power button (?) and whatever else I'm missing that normally comes with the chassi :)

Ty in advance!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Welcome to S4 mini club..:)

As PSU 2 choices for your setup :
  • mini box pico PSU 160W+power brick 192W
  • Pico box Z4-ATX-200 + dell poer brick 240W
Quite a good start to jump into SFF world..:)

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2016
  • Scythe slipstream low profile 120x120x12
  • Zalman cnps2x
  • Picopsu 160xt
  • 192w power brick
  • Any 16mm vandal switch you like

Reasons for choices?
Those particular Scythe + zalman units both combine to be less than 40mm. Any tighter than this combo and others have noted that you get an annoying whine from the fans being too close.

The psu/power brick combo on the minibox site is a tried and proven combo, and is more than enough to run your system.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
  • Scythe slipstream low profile 120x120x12
  • Zalman cnps2x
  • Picopsu 160xt
  • 192w power brick
  • Any 16mm vandal switch you like
Reasons for choices?
Those particular Scythe + zalman units both combine to be less than 40mm. Any tighter than this combo and others have noted that you get an annoying whine from the fans being too close.

The psu/power brick combo on the minibox site is a tried and proven combo, and is more than enough to run your system.

Thanks, MrTiny! I agree 100%--I would say that you won't even need the Scythe fan for that CPU and I wouldn't bother with it. Nice hardware picks! The S4 Mini will run super cool and quiet.

Peace

Last edited:
Reactions: MrTiny and Psyphil

Psyphil

Case Bender
May 21, 2016
Thank you for the replies! That was quick :D

Man the Zalman fan is sexy. I guess the only thing left is to order and find a cool name for the pc!

Would love to have a Paypal option on the website though Josh :/

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thank you for the replies! That was quick :D

Man the Zalman fan is sexy. I guess the only thing left is to order and find a cool name for the pc!

Would love to have a Paypal option on the website though Josh :/

Just send me an email, I take Paypal--squarespace doesn't though XD

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Seriously? Not even via a plug-in or something?

Squarespace is a moneymaking machine. They make money off the plan AND take a cut of the sales (then I have to pay the credit card company too!).

I could probably embed a link or something...I really want to redo my site and rebrand anyways as soon as I can get a breath of air. Squarespace is way too expensive to do business with.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
How much does SquareSpace hosting cost, just out of curiosity? I hear about them all the time being name dropped in videos like crazy, but I tend to just code my own websites so I haven't used them. Are they one of the "premium" website builders compared to other places like Wix?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
How much does SquareSpace hosting cost, just out of curiosity? I hear about them all the time being name dropped in videos like crazy, but I tend to just code my own websites so I haven't used them. Are they one of the "premium" website builders compared to other places like Wix?

I pay like 216 a year + 2% of sales. I need to upgrade to their $480 year plan but that's a hard tack to swallow...I can't pay for that right now anyways.

If you want to see what my handmade website was before Squarespace use the wayback machine. XD

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
LOL!!

Oh man, I feel so bad but it's funny.

As I've mentioned several times you should be able to remove the center studs (in order to mount the HDPLEX) with you fingers after unscrewing the nut.

Whelp.

I just had three in a row where the studs were reverse threaded. No idea what happened there, but that would definitely cause some problems if you were expecting (as I was) to be removed by standard rotation.

XD

Those poor, poor guys who said they were having problems. I'm sorry. >.<

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Better shot of the white. I actually like it in person. It is called "Glacier White" because it is SUPPOSED to be a color shifter to give off a blue glow like a Iceberg.

It works on curved surfaces better than flat though (you can kind of see it in the vent holes at the bottom). My flashhead does NOT give off blue cast, so any blue tinging you see is not a white balance issue, it is the paint. I shot it against a white backdrop so our brains can see the tone difference.

It was literally impossible to photograph but next to bright objects it does this subtlety:

This will be a limited color as I have another white coming up.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
LOL!!

Oh man, I feel so bad but it's funny.

As I've mentioned several times you should be able to remove the center studs (in order to mount the HDPLEX) with you fingers after unscrewing the nut.

Whelp.

I just had three in a row where the studs were reverse threaded. No idea what happened there, but that would definitely cause some problems if you were expecting (as I was) to be removed by standard rotation.

XD

Those poor, poor guys who said they were having problems. I'm sorry. >.<

I just gave up completely trying to get those studs out and put the HDPLEX in on an angle, made the fit tighter but managed to get everything in eventually.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I just gave up completely trying to get those studs out and put the HDPLEX in on an angle, made the fit tighter but managed to get everything in eventually.

Next time you have it apart try unscrewing it the opposite way--it might work. Sorry about that...I'm still trying to figure out how this happens at the factory.