S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The extra M.2, M.2 heatsink, native (QVL) 4266 MHz RAM support, and obviously, the aesthetics more than justify it for me. The QVL G.Skill 4266 MHz RGB RAM supports ASUS' Aura Sync so the RGB lighting on the motherboard and the RAM will be synced up. It's gonna be sweet.
The dual M.2 on mini ITX is a truly welcomed feature..even if I've doubt about the cooling of the M.2 on top on Z270 chipset..:) Poor M.2 will receive heat from both gpu and chipset..:D but it should work at the end.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I definer have my eye on that RAM too.
So we know if the RGB version is going to have a silver heatspreader option too? I only saw black on Newegg.
We have all the same problems.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I have purchased my fair share of normal Trident Z modules and they are two tone--black on one side, gunmetal on the other. Is it going to be different for the RGB version?

Reactions: 1461748123

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I have purchased my fair share of normal Trident Z modules and they are two tone--black on one side, gunmetal on the other. Is it going to be different for the RGB version?
I think that's the norm for Trident Z modules, but I could swear I've seen some with all silver or all black. I'll see if I can find it.

These look like they're all silver, but I was probably tricking myself with wishful thinking and they're black on the other side.
Really it doesn't matter, but all silver would be really cool, I think.

hopefully a review of the RGB version shows what the bare PCB looks like. If it's just a regular stick + LEDs underneath I'm definitely moving my EK monarch spreaders over to them.
I looked at the Vengeance LED sticks and they've got weird horns the LEDs are mounted on, so they're out of the running.

Edit: here's a link to a picture of the vengeance LED's PCB (source)

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
@1461748123
I think so.
They're taller than the officially recommended height, but josh did make a video he posted here quite a while ago measuring the space between the slots and the lid is roughly 45mm.

edit:
ps, sorry for taking the whole weekend to pay my invoice for y'all's PSU, I was away from the computer and couldn't get it done til today after work

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I have a set of the silver Trident Z RAM on the way and will check them for colour and hopefully S4 fit when I get them.

Reactions: Curiosity

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
@1461748123
I think so.
They're taller than the officially recommended height, but josh did make a video he posted here quite a while ago measuring the space between the slots and the lid is roughly 45mm.

edit:
ps, sorry for taking the whole weekend to pay my invoice for y'all's PSU, I was away from the computer and couldn't get it done til today after work
No problem :D. But I think the video link is wrong..

Reactions: Curiosity

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
Hi guys, a quick build query:

I will be using a i5 6600 + gtx 1060 combo. Will this Mobo be okay https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018XP37TY/

I don't need onboard WiFi as I have some external USB WiFi dongles lying around. I just need the cheapest Mobo that doesn't throttle my other components and has atleast 1 x M.2 slot (ahci)

That motherboard would be fine, as long as it's a Mini-itx board it'll be fine. It says in the description that it has an M.2 slot, but I would double check to be certain.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Looks like it does have one:

Reactions: CXH4

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
For those that have the Engine 27 cooler, have any of you tried installing a 120mm scythe fan over the top? If so, has this impacted cooling or noise in any significant way?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
For those that have the Engine 27 cooler, have any of you tried installing a 120mm scythe fan over the top? If so, has this impacted cooling or noise in any significant way?

It might make things work better, but the scythe isn't a quiet fan, and the Engine 27 is LOUD, so both together is... notquietloud XD

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I figure someone needs to put an Engine 27 into a clear acetal enclosure to function as a pump and heatsink at the same time. Add a few LEDs and you've got a winner.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Another day, another two power brick resets with my 6700T+1060 combo. I feel like whenever I turn on AA and disable Vsync it has a high chance of happening.... @Josh | NFC should I just get another 192W brick or step down to the 1050 Ti?