S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
If it makes you feel better, I just got mine shipped! And I believe I was towards the end of the list. So not much waiting left :)

I got my email a few hours ago as well. I'm pumped to wait some more for the ASUS Strix z270i. If it didn't have those dual m.2s and QVL-4266, I'd just grab the ASRock or MSI board, but I'll just keep on waiting.

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
Sorry for beating the dead horse but I have conflicting reports.
Is the GTX 1060 with a 65W CPU a good combo for the pico 160XT and the bundled Adaptec brick? Or would the 240W brick from Dell work better?

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
I got my email a few hours ago as well. I'm pumped to wait some more for the ASUS Strix z270i. If it didn't have those dual m.2s and QVL-4266, I'd just grab the ASRock or MSI board, but I'll just keep on waiting.
Me too! Ended up not getting the MSI 270i as the lack of USB 3.1 gen 2 rear io was a deal breaker for me. Though the strix z270i does look nicer :/

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Sorry for beating the dead horse but I have conflicting reports.
Is the GTX 1060 with a 65W CPU a good combo for the pico 160XT and the bundled Adaptec brick? Or would the 240W brick from Dell work better?

I'll sum it up as quick as I can:

1. A 1060 (non OC) + a 65w CPU works fine with the 160XT KIT in my tests and several customer builds but you are pushing the upper limit of the brick.

2. If you get a OC 1060, it still might be totally fine, as I have built a couple of these for tradeshow booths, but you are really pushing it, so depending on your particular brick or components, you might want/have to do some tuning.

3. If you don't want to think about it, do any tuning, or have lots of overhead, go with the HDPLEX and a 19v Dell brick. Because this is the most safe option, it is the one I have on my website.

No matter your choice, the Pico 160XT is capable of much more power, but it is the power brick that is the cap here, but I think the Pico 160XT's days are numbered as there are 19v "pico-style" solutions coming out, and 19v bricks are more capable (at lower costs).

Reactions: MJVR1 and flacman

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Having built a 6700T+1060 configuration, I would not recommend past a 65w CPU as Josh has suggested.

There are some hits about 189W now and again for my system.

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
I just can't see spending an extra $100 for a z270 motherboard if your not planning on overclocking. I'll stick with https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130929 for $85. It has 1 less M.2 slot, but otherwise does everything the new Z270 strix board does.

The singular reason I did not purchase that very board is lack of raid support, very use specific but I agree that if you are not OCing you can utilize budget optimally with a non K sku and an H170/H110 chipset.

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
I'll sum it up as quick as I can:

1. A 1060 (non OC) + a 65w CPU works fine with the 160XT KIT in my tests and several customer builds but you are pushing the upper limit of the brick.

2. If you get a OC 1060, it still might be totally fine, as I have built a couple of these for tradeshow booths, but you are really pushing it, so depending on your particular brick or components, you might want/have to do some tuning.

3. If you don't want to think about it, do any tuning, or have lots of overhead, go with the HDPLEX and a 19v Dell brick. Because this is the most safe option, it is the one I have on my website.

No matter your choice, the Pico 160XT is capable of much more power, but it is the power brick that is the cap here, but I think the Pico 160XT's days are numbered as there are 19v "pico-style" solutions coming out, and 19v bricks are more capable (at lower costs).
Thank you, that cleared it all up for me. Just one thing, is this the Pico style psu you were talking about?
http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-160W-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I just can't see spending an extra $100 for a z270 motherboard if your not planning on overclocking. I'll stick with https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130929 for $85. It has 1 less M.2 slot, but otherwise does everything the new Z270 strix board does.

Aesthetics and resale value. A lot of the top end ITX boards hold their value over time as they become scarce. I sold my old Asus P8Z77-ITX Deluxe board for more or less what I paid for it a couple of years ago. There's no way a lower chipset board would have fetched me that kind of price.

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Just got my S4 today and I'm doing a test build now :D
So I'm using the zotac 1070 without the shroud and fans. I have to remove the front bezel in order to install it because it is just tooooooo long to fit directly. But I ran into some problems removing the bezel. There are 3 nuts and 2 screws on the back securing the bezel in place, but I found out it is almost impossible to remove the bezel because I cant pull the bezel away from the screw. @Josh | NFC any ideas?

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I'll email you a video since you are having trouble.
Thanks! Got it :p
And, it fits!!!

Btw, the header on the GPU is small 4 pin header, the one on the fan is large 4 pin, so I gotta rework that. For now Im just gonna plug it into my mobo :p

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Did you have to cut anything off the Zotac to get it in there? Also how far past the case does the heatsink stick (exactly). Cheers!