S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

fjbruening

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2016
So I've got everything for my s4 mini build - except the mini, but that arrives by Friday. :-)

A quick question about CPU coolers. I bought an i5 6600 3.3 Ghz 6MB Cache LGA151

I didn't realize it comes with a fan already, and I also bought a Noctua NH-L9i

I'll be using an EVGA 1060 SC.

Assuming 1080p gaming, should I keep the Noctua, or is the standard Intel fan OK?

Thanks!
Francis

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
So I've got everything for my s4 mini build - except the mini, but that arrives by Friday. :-)

A quick question about CPU coolers. I bought an i5 6600 3.3 Ghz 6MB Cache LGA151

Assuming 1080p gaming, should I keep the Noctua, or is the standard Intel fan OK?

Thanks!
Francis
Keep the Noctua! Not only it is quieter, it also provides much better cooling performance compare to the stock heat sink.

Reactions: fjbruening

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Another day, another two power brick resets with my 6700T+1060 combo. I feel like whenever I turn on AA and disable Vsync it has a high chance of happening.... @Josh | NFC should I just get another 192W brick or step down to the 1050 Ti?

You should be nowhere near peaking with that setup. A stock 1060 pulls about 180W on my bench with a 65w CPU under load. It's possible you have a bad brick. Why don't you try playing with afterburner some more and lower the clock (but not the voltage) on your 1060? I notice you put "non SC mod" I really don't know what your tuning settings are but something is funky with the card for you to get resets.

What is the software scenario when you get a reset?

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Another day, another two power brick resets with my 6700T+1060 combo. I feel like whenever I turn on AA and disable Vsync it has a high chance of happening.... @Josh | NFC should I just get another 192W brick or step down to the 1050 Ti?
why not just move up to the 300W HDPLEX and a 330W Dell Power brick? if you have the room in your S4 mini it's just a matter of having the funds.

EDIT: Nevermind, i thought you were pushing the power limits of your setup but @Josh | NFC says you shouldn't be peaking with your current setup... dang, that sucks. I'd make sure your gpu power target is not above 100% so it doesn't pull more power than normal? i used to have issues where my CPU would crash my PC under heavy load due to the some "auto" voltage setting in the bios, make sure you have voltages set to a fixed number in all places where you can to avoid spikes from an auto setting or a voltage range?

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net

Thanks!
Francis

Mine is arriving today. Super pumped to open it up and wait some more. :) Still waiting on the ASUS Strix Z270i Gaming motherboard and two 500GB Samsung 960 Evos (on order) to come in. Then, I'll be buying my Pelican case and praying I can fit everything inside. Check my signature for the part list and, eventually, the completed build.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Mine is arriving today. Super pumped to open it up and wait some more. :) Still waiting on the ASUS Strix Z270i Gaming motherboard and two 500GB Samsung 960 Evos (on order) to come in. Then, I'll be buying my Pelican case and praying I can fit everything inside. Check my signature for the part list and, eventually, the completed build.

THANK YOU for your patience and support and I hope you love your MINI.

Please run all your hardware outside your MINI first to test it and set it up. I am so freaking jealous of your raided 960s... XD

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net

Please run all your hardware outside your MINI first to test it and set it up. I am so freaking jealous of your raided 960s... XD

I always test everything in my test bench and with my Kill A Watt meter. :)

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015

Even though the 1060 + 6700T is MUCH less power hungry than my 970 + 4690K, I'd still go with a higher rated brick like the Dell 330W or HP 350W, particularly one that doesnt immediately freak out over power spikes

I had this problem happen semi-regularly with a 240W brick, it was unusable

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Even though the 1060 + 6700T is MUCH less power hungry than my 970 + 4690K, I'd still go with a higher rated brick like the Dell 330W or HP 350W, particularly one that doesnt immediately freak out over power spikes

I had this problem happen semi-regularly with a 240W brick, it was unusable

If you are trying to get away with minimal wiring, @flacman, then you can try a different brick. Going back in the thread I saw that you were undervolting your GPU without reducing the clockrate, so I am not sure if you are getting a BSOD because you are hitting your power limit, but if you are, then I think you got a dud when it came to your brick.

Naturally going with an HDPLEX + a 330w brick is going to give you the safest results, but I think most people are trying to tune down, and I think it is completely unnecessary for your build.

The new 24-Pin Module 160 from HDPLEX will allow you to use 19v bricks and still retain the simple wiring of a PICO unit. In fact, it is a little cleaner, as you have a dedicated hookup for the GPU. My concern is that you will dump money to fix the problem, but it might not if you have an unstable card or card settings.

You might even try disabling any tuning on your GPU and seeing if it runs more stably. It will heat your brick up but I have now built too many 1060 builts with 65w CPUs using the 192w Adaptec to think it is a peaking issue. However, this is just anecdotal evidence meant to give you hints on where to look next.

I'm hoping you can get it figured out!

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Absolutely love this community, so many responses! :)

I'm not actually getting a BSOD at all - the machine just "loses" power and turns back on again. Event Viewer logs show a kernel power loss event right at the time the Mini dies. I play primarily Company of Heroes 2 and BF1 -- resets have only occured on these games, normal usage has never had any issues.
  1. The 24-pin 16-24V HDPLEX looks awesome! Will definitely check it out and potentially buy one just to have a backup PSU. (My Mini is now my main PC for work/play and I'm about to finish moving to another country!)
  2. If I went down the HDPLEX 300W path, wouldn't I need the extra drilling near the power inlet to fit the HDPLEX power connector?
  3. As for Non-SC mod, it's essentially flashing the 1060 BIOS with the EVGA "Gaming" SKU BIOS vs. Superclocked
  4. Strange, as I did some pretty heavy testing with the 1060 after I flashed it and it seemed to hold its own with no tunings to PrecisionX.
  5. By different brick, do you mean another Minibox 192W brick, as the PicoPSU is 12V input only?

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
Reactions: eutholevonik

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net

Thank you so much, Josh. My S4 Mini arrived safe and sound. My Portable VR masterpiece is almost complete!

As a side note: I didn't have a card with a number in mine. Not a big deal. Don't really "need" the card, would just like to know which number I am for signature purposes.

P.S. Oculus Touch not pictured, but I already have it and it will be in final build pictures and in Pelican case. I hope it all fits...

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Don't ask. I'm embarrassed... :(

Sharpie.

I was going to use red spray paint, but my hands don't seem to be delicate enough for the intricacies of the GPU shroud when trying to use painter's tape. I'm ashamed.
I wonder if that voids your warranty