S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
For anyone who's wondering about the temp with a 120mm slim fan:

This is the temp with both side panels off. I don't think it will increase 20 degrees when the panels are on so there shouldn't be any thermal throttling :p

Reactions: BrainTaste

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
The GPU connector squeezed in with some effort, but it doest fit!
Nice! How about the connector for connecting to the external PSU brick?
Is there any reason to worry about the HDPLEX 300W going out of stock in the foreseeable future? It would really be a shame to not be able to get one.
Mine took about two weeks to ship so I would order one ahead of time.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016

Test build :p gona power it up and see how well the GPU stands. Will have to do some custom cable job for sure! Wayyyy to long!
Oh sweet, the little engine that could! How are you liking a low profile cooler?

Thanks! Got it :p
And, it fits!!!

Btw, the header on the GPU is small 4 pin header, the one on the fan is large 4 pin, so I gotta rework that. For now Im just gonna plug it into my mobo :p
Damn, you squeezed it in alright! Good job!

Why only two screws for the 120 mm fan? Just testing for a fit at the moment?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Are the dimensions on the 1070 Mini the same as the 1080 Mini (estimated)?

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Oh sweet, the little engine that could! How are you liking a low profile cooler?

Damn, you squeezed it in alright! Good job!

Why only two screws for the 120 mm fan? Just testing for a fit at the moment?
Yep, testing for a fit atm:D

Think they concluded that the 1080 mini is probably going to be slightly longer. Hence some chopping of the heatsink (and possibly) will be required.
There is still about ~10mm space left, so if the 1080 is just slightly larger, it will still fit!

Reactions: ricochet

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Sounds like I should consider a 1070/80 again, I'm really glad to hear it didn't burn up.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
There is still about ~10mm space left, so if the 1080 is just slightly larger, it will still fit!
Hey bro, could you measure the card's length from the backplate where the inputs are, to the end of the heatsink? Or just take a picture of the card next to a ruler, please? A picture from the perspective centered on the end of the card would help.

I'm now curious if the 1070 mini's length was measured from the inputs backplate, or from the end of the metal piece that sticks out where the mounting screws are?

Note the Zotac site says the 1070 mini is 210mm
and the Zotac site says the 1080 mini is 211mm

thats only a 1mm difference. IT MIGHT FIT, AFTER ALL! :D

Last edited:

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
I just can't see spending an extra $100 for a z270 motherboard if your not planning on overclocking. I'll stick with https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130929 for $85. It has 1 less M.2 slot, but otherwise does everything the new Z270 strix board does.

The extra M.2, M.2 heatsink, native (QVL) 4266 MHz RAM support, and obviously, the aesthetics more than justify it for me. The QVL G.Skill 4266 MHz RGB RAM supports ASUS' Aura Sync so the RGB lighting on the motherboard and the RAM will be synced up. It's gonna be sweet.

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2016
The extra M.2, M.2 heatsink, native (QVL) 4266 MHz RAM support, and obviously, the aesthetics more than justify it for me. The QVL G.Skill 4266 MHz RGB RAM supports ASUS' Aura Sync so the RGB lighting on the motherboard and the RAM will be synced up. It's gonna be sweet.

Sucks that the gskill RGB ram is too tall for the s4 mini :(

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
I think it's just going to fit, actually. 43.7mm seems to be the limit, and it says 44mm. We'll see when it releases.

I just measured my other Trident Z RAM and it is, in fact, exactly 44mm in height. The 43.7mm that Josh mentioned is from the top of the RAM slot to the lid, so accounting for the ~2mm into the RAM slot the DIMM will go, there should be about ~1.5mm of clearance. That being said, if it's "too close for comfort," I have a brand-new Dremel. The three-fin layer design goes above and beyond the actual RGB lighting effect enclosure so shaving one fin off would give me about an additional 2mm.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I definer have my eye on that RAM too.
So we know if the RGB version is going to have a silver heatspreader option too? I only saw black on Newegg.