S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
If there's an ITX AM4 board that has dual M.2 and quad core Ryzen is indeed 45W, I'd be all over that.

Reactions: noobi3st and cmyk78

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
I took my parts out of the pots shortly after your reply. Ended up being SUPER disappointed with the results. Switched gears to spray paint and hoping for the best. Primer x 2, Paint x 2, Clear Coat. Hopefully all of the coats aren't too thick and don't ruin the efficiency of the Noctua fan. Also praying it's even and there is no humming or rattle.

You're correct. It's completely terrible and basically an abomination that needs to be put down. Dyeing and painting are both terrible routes. Maybe not for larger fans that aren't designed for noise optimization and efficiency, but for Noctua, definitely a tall order.

I've started exploring another option and it seems like a good one, in my opinion.

The following is the "little white lie" I just sent to Scythe. Crossing my fingers that it works. :)

Hello,

I have a Shuriken Rev. B (SCSK-1100) (http://www.scytheus.com/product/shuriken-revb/) and I need a replacement fan. I don’t want to have to buy the whole unit, as the heat sink is fine. I searched everywhere for just the fan. I even searched other brands, but the only 100mm PWM slim fan (under 20mm) I could find anywhere is the the one that came with my cooler. Can you please let me know if I can purchase the fan, by itself, at a reasonable price? I can buy the whole cooler for $27 with free shipping, so I was thinking somewhere around $10. Please let me know if you can help.

Thank you.

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I've decided to to forego the new fan and run with it. It's my fault that I didn't benchmark the sound before painting, but I can't hear it and there is no shaking or rattle, so fingers crossed.

A tip for you: use plastidip to mod your parts! For people like me that messed up paint all the time I can just peel it off and try again. Really convenient! :D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Especially since Noctua fans are developed with tighter physical tolerances than most, so it might be very detrimental to performance.
With spray paints I've been using I couldn't manage to make something measurably thicker, maybe the primer or coat are applying too thickly ?

The paintjob on my Nebula C casemod (albeit not a good paintjob) was maybe a dozen fine layers of primer and paint coat, where it flacked (due to scraping panels), it was still "thinner than a hair".

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Sep 22, 2016
Just got my mini no 107 so long to my enthoo evolv itx
You may want to PM or email Josh, as he had a number mix-up at the beginning of the batch. There were three orders designated as 107, mine being one of them, @Curiosity being another, and it seems that you're the third. If it doesn't matter too much to you, it's no big deal, but I'll be starting a build log once all of my components come in and don't want anybody to get confused.

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
You may want to PM or email Josh, as he had a number mix-up at the beginning of the batch. There were three orders designated as 107, mine being one of them, @Curiosity being another, and it seems that you're the third. If it doesn't matter too much to you, it's no big deal, but I'll be starting a build log once all of my components come in and don't want anybody to get confused.
I don't really understand whats happening.. mind explaining to me?

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Neat!
Also I swapped my 980 for a 1060SC today, it actually improved my Timespy score by 300 points
It's pretty cool that the case the GPU will end up in is barely bigger than the box it came in!

edit:
it runs a lot cooler too!
and here's next to the Ncase v2

Last edited:

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
@Josh | NFC do I remember correctly that you're working on a horizontal stand for the S4 mini? Also do you think there would be a benefit to use a longer PCIe riser to be able to flip the GPU in the horizontal orientation (case modding aside)?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I know I'm currently building my own case (kinda froze the process) but that silver S4 mini is sooo on my wishlist when I can get the money again. I will want to replace the panel facing the CPU fan with a custom clear acrylic panel, with the same vent pattern cut out on it.

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Here's the two other comparison shots I took for anyone interested:

I'll definitely be getting good comparison pictures of the M1, S4, and A4 together once the A4 arrives.

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
Neat!
Also I swapped my 980 for a 1060SC today, it actually improved my Timespy score by 300 points
It's pretty cool that the case the GPU will end up in is barely bigger than the box it came in!

edit:
it runs a lot cooler too!
and here's next to the Ncase v2
Silver mini looks fantastic! Makes me wish i ordered it in silver instead of black :\

kana_69

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 30, 2016

i didnt get a 107 lol