S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
picked up my S4, #107 from UPS today, thanks Josh!

Unfortunately all my parts are too big to build in it right now, but I'm going to start working on solving that asap!
Beautiful case! All the parts are too big? What were you trying to cram in there?

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Beautiful case! All the parts are too big? What were you trying to cram in there?
ok, maybe not all. ;P
I could fit CPU/mobo/ RAM, but I knew going in I couldn't fit the rest, I've got a reference 980 and sfx psu currently, in this build:

I wasn't originally planning on getting an S4, just the A4-SFX (which my stuff does fit into) because I used to be super against external power bricks. But it's so small and pretty I kind of had to~

Once I get the A4 in I'll take a 3-way comparison picture of all the cases!

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Sep 22, 2016
ok, maybe not all. ;P
I could fit CPU/mobo/ RAM, but I knew going in I couldn't fit the rest, I've got a reference 980 and sfx psu currently, in this build:

I wasn't originally planning on getting an S4, just the A4-SFX (which my stuff does fit into) because I used to be super against external power bricks. But it's so small and pretty I kind of had to~

Are you getting the A4 in silver as well?

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
ok, maybe not all. ;P

Nice. I guess the Ncase was your gateway drug to the world of SFF. Power bricks do become a nuisance if you move your pc a lot. The thing is, they are required if you want anything more then an i7 6700 and a GTX 1050 Ti. For this reason I am looking at either getting an A4 or something similiar. At the same time you can't deny the beauty of the S4 Mini. Decisions decisions...

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Nice. I guess the Ncase was your gateway drug to the world of SFF. Power bricks do become a nuisance if you move your pc a lot. The thing is, they are required if you want anything more then an i7 6700 and a GTX 1050 Ti. For this reason I am looking at either getting an A4 or something similiar.
Kind of, I originally built a midtower and was annoyed with how big it was when moving it, then went to a TJ08-E, then wanted smaller and came across the M1 just after the indiegogo cases started getting to people.

the only bad thing about sff for me is I'm a huge noise nerd too, so we'll see how it goes aha

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Sep 22, 2016
Kind of, I originally built a midtower and was annoyed with how big it was when moving it, then went to a TJ08-E, then wanted smaller and came across the M1 just after the indiegogo cases started getting to people.

the only bad thing about sff for me is I'm a huge noise nerd too, so we'll see how it goes aha

Haha my path was much the same, though I started off with a mini-itx board in a Define Nano S. It was my first build ever and I found I was hauling it around a lot more than I thought I'd be, so I quickly changed cases (M1, then ML-08, and now S4). I imagine I'll probably build another, non traveling rig at some point, but SFF is just so addicting

controller

Case Bender
Jan 13, 2017
After a lot of fiddling with parts and cutting my fingers a few times I was able to get the Gigabyte 1070 mini in there. The Thermaltake Engine 27 works really well with the amount of space in this case, and it goes great with the brushed aluminum. I'm thinking about putting some rubber feet on one side so I can sit it horizontally at work.

Chongker

Efficiency Noob
Jan 12, 2017
Hello Chongker,

Congrats on the preorder.
@1461748123 managed to fit the Zotac 1070 with removal of the stock fans back on page 53. He is using that exact card in his S4 Mini as well.

Thanks 3lfk1ng!

Great that the card physically fits, but one problem I could potentially see is the 8-pin power connector. The Zotac is quite a tall card, extending past the pcie bracket about as much as the Gigabyte 1070 mini does, but the connector is not recessed at all. Would this not make it impossible for the card to be plugged in with the default HDPlex cable? Are there low profile right angle connectors available by any chance I wonder.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Thanks 3lfk1ng!

Great that the card physically fits, but one problem I could potentially see is the 8-pin power connector. The Zotac is quite a tall card, extending past the pcie bracket about as much as the Gigabyte 1070 mini does, but the connector is not recessed at all. Would this not make it impossible for the card to be plugged in with the default HDPlex cable? Are there low profile right angle connectors available by any chance I wonder.
It should be fine, there's a little bit of room up there between the PCIE-8-pin power adapter and the wall of the case for the cables to fit. If it's hard to install the power cable after plugging it into the riser, the I'd say make sure you've plugged the cables in before fully inserting the card into the riser.