S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
For anyone who is interested, zotac 1070 mini will fit in the S4 if you remove the stock fans and use a 120mm slim fan instead:

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
...and the S4 just got a lot more powerful. Nice find @1461748123.

How long is the PCB itself?
Could the end of the heatsink be cut down from ~200mm to the 186mm required to fit in the LZ7?

Between this and the G-Unique 400w Slim, I'm excited to see your build thread ;)

I can't wait to start my builds as well, waiting on Josh's S4 and hoping I can get them by Chrismas, it will be the best presents I can get :p
And yes, the PCB is even smaller at less than 7 inch, which means if you saw off the excess heatsink it will fit in the LZ7 nicely!

Reactions: 3lfk1ng

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
For anyone who is interested, zotac 1070 mini will fit in the S4 if you remove the stock fans and use a 120mm slim fan instead:
Awesome. I wanted to get a 1070 but the Gigabyte cards are notorious for being loud. Given the MUCH larger heatsinks of the zotac, this is a great relief.

NotungX

Caliper Novice
Nov 3, 2016
How do you deal with cable lengths to the HDPlex 250w and to the GPU? Do you use cablemod or something similar? Which lengths are appropriate?

Thanks!

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
Nice! Just curious, though how do you know if the the de-shrouded GPU will fit in the case with the added fan? Is their a standardized max width for GPUs?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Nice! Just curious, though how do you know if the the de-shrouded GPU will fit in the case with the added fan? Is their a standardized max width for GPUs?

No, but it is a pretty good bet it will fit with a 12mm Scythe. Heck, a 15mm might even fit.

This is SFF afterall, so absolutes should never be used. :)

Reactions: Curiosity

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Isn't there a little leeway up and down with GPU's anyway?
I imagine with the flexible riser and some careful shimmy-ing you could get an extra .5mm or so if you tried. :p

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
95W TDP might be bit toasty. That being said, a quad or even hexa core version of Ryzen could be a possibility. Vega is looking decent as well if present speculation is anywhere near accurate.

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
95W TDP might be bit toasty. That being said, a quad or even hexa core version of Ryzen could be a possibility. Vega is looking decent as well if present speculation is anywhere near accurate.

I don't believe that a 95 watt TDP would mean that the CPU would get toasty. Intel's Broadwell-E 6900K consumes 140 watts at stock, and I would assume that the amount of cooling required for RYZEN would be less than the 6900K. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm hoping that AMD's solution brings about greater technologies for us PC enthusiasts to tinker with; more specifically, greater power in small form factors.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
We'll have to wait for actual testing of Zen outside vendor-run benchmarks. How well it can throttle-down and power-gate during idle probably will play more of a role in effective thermal output in normal use than the maximum power draw under full load does.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
OK So yesterday afternoon I got the MINIs in.

However the finish on the bezel turned out different than the prototypes. Naturally the last thing in the world I would ever want to do is sell something different than what I promised. So I am thinking about what to do. Everyone I have shown so far in person doesn't really know, and I am so close to the project its hard for me to be objective.

So I'm asking you, my friends, first. What do you think?

As a side note, I know people will ask...I used my Fuji for this so it looks super edited, but its pretty much out of camera. A couple shots I had to darken the silver S4 a bit so you can see the detail more, but nothing fancy. I want to be accurate.

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
OK So yesterday afternoon I got the MINIs in.

However the finish on the bezel turned out different than the prototypes. Naturally the last thing in the world I would ever want to do is sell something different than what I promised. So I am thinking about what to do. Everyone I have shown so far in person doesn't really know, and I am so close to the project its hard for me to be objective.

So I'm asking you, my friends, first. What do you think?

As a side note, I know people will ask...I used my Fuji for this so it looks super edited, but its pretty much out of camera. A couple shots I had to darken the silver S4 a bit so you can see the detail more, but nothing fancy. I want to be accurate.

THEY ARE FUCKING SEXY :D It is kind of hard to see the different with all the water droplet on them though

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
THEY ARE FUCKING SEXY :D It is kind of hard to see the different with all the water droplet on them though

Yeah I immediately regretted it. It is just a 130 dollar camera and I didnt see them on the tiny little screen until I got to the PC. Keep hunting and see if you don't like anything. Mechanically they are fine and they aren't damaged, but the bezel was finished differently than spec.

nfilipac

Chassis Packer
Nov 11, 2016
They look pretty awesome, just wasn't completely sure if there were water droplets on them or if they had some sort of funky rough finish Haha. I'm assuming it's the former. They look great!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
What's the difference between what you promised and what you got? I'm having a hard time finding a flaw with the case in the photos you've provided. Is the brushing on the front bezel a bit deeper than on the original mini or something? That's the only thing I can think of after looking at the photos.