S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
That's looking very well done, nice and understated !

+1

This is one of the best S4 Mini's I've seen; certainly beats my work. The thermal padding for the M.2 is genius!

Where did you find that right angle connector for the SATA cable? That looks amazing, I could certainly use them!!!

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
+1

This is one of the best S4 Mini's I've seen; certainly beats my work. The thermal padding for the M.2 is genius!

Where did you find that right angle connector for the SATA cable? That looks amazing, I could certainly use them!!!

Looks like the silverstone super slim cable. They are really nice (I just bought 2) but they are a bit pricey at $10 a piece! The ones I bought measure 300mm.

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
Along those lines... Does anyone know what the heck the connectors that go TO the picoPSU are? I was thinking of making some of my own cables, but I don't know where to get the right headers for it. The power IN cables are soldered on I guess, but the other ones click on with some kind of molex I guess. If anyone has tried, do you think you could fit 18 AWG on there?

Any help is appreciated! :D

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Along those lines... Does anyone know what the heck the connectors that go TO the picoPSU are? I was thinking of making some of my own cables, but I don't know where to get the right headers for it. The power IN cables are soldered on I guess, but the other ones click on with some kind of molex I guess. If anyone has tried, do you think you could fit 18 AWG on there?

Any help is appreciated! :D

The white and black cables? They use a 4 pin CPU molex connector. You could easily use 16AWG.

*edit*

If you mean the accessory cable harness, you would have to be amazing to use 16AWG. Doable, but microsoldering is required. Use a high end plastic welding gun and seal up the connections when you are done. They only get SUPER hot in a couple different areas.

loc125

Caliper Novice
Jun 21, 2016
thanks guys, the right angle SATA cable is the Silverstone super slim (CP11B-300) "amazon" as zhl146 has stated. I got all my wires, tool and connectors from mod-one (sorry if im not suppose to say name of websites), and you can go to element 14 site, they have connectors super cheap. amazon is raping you with their independent prices.

ps: I was not to happy with the 20AWG wire so upgraded all the wire in the system to 18AWG

loc125

Caliper Novice
Jun 21, 2016
on another note....that Asus GTX 970 DirectCU mini had me a little annoyed how asus did their cooling....4 out of the 8 ram chips are cooled so I changed the thermal paste and added thermal pad thick enough to help the chips they neglected to cool. -__-

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com
finished and completed build, added thermal pad material to the case touching the Samsung M.2 SSD.

You sir, are hitting it out the park! That looks tremendous! Quick question for you, does the higher temps kicked out by the 970 have any effect on the SSD? What sort of temps are you reading from your SSD?

EDIT: I've started reading this thread from the beginning.. seems even with HDDs the temps don't reach a dangerous temp.

J.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I would,but I don't like the idea of the solid heatsink. I much prefer the heat pipes and the size of the AMP and at 8.27" maybe it just will fit!

Sorry, 8" is a hard cap. :(

The 1060 Mini might not need a fancy cooler; I've heard rumors it has a TDP of 100w. I don't know for sure, but it sounds reasonable.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Sorry, 8" is a hard cap. :(

The 1060 Mini might not need a fancy cooler; I've heard rumors it has a TDP of 100w. I don't know for sure, but it sounds reasonable.

The Zotac mini is 6.85" long, so it should fit into the case quite nicely. Besides, the GPU sits by itself unlike the CPU surrounded by VRM/DIMMs, so the 1060 should be able to breathe easy anyway (Nvidia official TDP is 120W).

Reactions: kgh00007

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Quick question. I currently have my S4 positioned horizontally underneath a glass monitor stand. Needless to say it doesnt get the best airflow, but i don't suppose a peak of 70C on my SSD and HDD, 95 on my CPU, and 90 on my GPU is healthy huh?

Is there a pressing need for me to rearrage my setup

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Just check the maximum temperature of your thermal paste. The electronic components should be fine up to 100C.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
a peak of 70C on my SSD and HDD, 95 on my CPU, and 90 on my GPU
Modern overtemp protection actually works, so this is very unlikely to cause any actual damage. However those temperatures, on the CPU and GPU in particular, are likely causing the CPU and GPU to throttle their performance back in order to avoid exceeding their maximum temperatures.

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
Hey guys, thanks for the reply. By header I meant this thing:

There are two more on the other side I think as well. Two of them are the same and I think the other is different. I looked on the pico wires and I think they say 22 AWG?

Anyways, does anyone know where I can buy the plastic header for the accessory harness and 4 pin CPU power as well as the metal pins that go inside of them?

Thanks!