S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Quick question. I currently have my S4 positioned horizontally underneath a glass monitor stand. Needless to say it doesnt get the best airflow, but i don't suppose a peak of 70C on my SSD and HDD, 95 on my CPU, and 90 on my GPU is healthy huh?

Is there a pressing need for me to rearrage my setup

As was mentioned, most the parts are good to operate at 90C, and I have some industrial units that operate that 24/7. However, your memory is not good to operate at high temps...(70 should be OK/in spec) for the ram and SSD, but heat does kill memory as I have definitely found.

Keep an eye on the system during overwatch...I've seen that game and HoTS kill PCs (luckily no S4s yet) from heat...and I haven't put my finger on as to why yet...but just do some googling...its actually a thing. it's weird to me cause Crysis 3 and MWO pull more power than those two do on average.

Hey guys, thanks for the reply. By header I meant this thing:

There are two more on the other side I think as well. Two of them are the same and I think the other is different. I looked on the pico wires and I think they say 22 AWG?

Anyways, does anyone know where I can buy the plastic header for the accessory harness and 4 pin CPU power as well as the metal pins that go inside of them?

Thanks!

QinX mentioned before that they might be JST connectors...I actually don't know:

loc125

Caliper Novice
Jun 21, 2016

There are two more on the other side I think as well. Two of them are the same and I think the other is different. I looked on the pico wires and I think they say 22 AWG?

Anyways, does anyone know where I can buy the plastic header for the accessory harness and 4 pin CPU power as well as the metal pins that go inside of them?

Thanks!
I think your only limited to the 22AWG gauge wire, 18 AWG wire is to thick for that connector, unless you Frankenstein mod it. when there's a will, there's a way!

Last edited:

MrNintend0

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2016

Thanks!
QinX mentioned before that they might be JST connectors...I actually don't know:
I just made an account to answer this; I'll try and keep myself on the board though, I'm loving the S4. Anyways, Josh is correct, they are JST fittings, I'm planning on making some custom cables as well; the links are below. It's entirely possible to fit slightly larger gauge wire in them, I plan on doing it myself and have on different connectors. Might not be able to fit 18AWG, but it's worth trying, I certainly will.

Edit: Thanks to zhl146; they pointed out that the picture on Digi-Key wasn't matching up to the header on his Pico, I looked and sure enough, I had it wrong... sort of. The P4 ATX header uses this Housing and Pins, which is what I linked to before. The peripheral header(s) on the other hand use this Housing and Pins, which is what zhl146 was talking [typing?] about.

Last edited:

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
As was mentioned, most the parts are good to operate at 90C, and I have some industrial units that operate that 24/7. However, your memory is not good to operate at high temps...(70 should be OK/in spec) for the ram and SSD, but heat does kill memory as I have definitely found.

Keep an eye on the system during overwatch...I've seen that game and HoTS kill PCs (luckily no S4s yet) from heat...and I haven't put my finger on as to why yet...but just do some googling...its actually a thing. it's weird to me cause Crysis 3 and MWO pull more power than those two do on average.

Yep Its when I play Overwatch that it happens :eek:

I'd also like to add that anything important is on my m.2 which never goes past 40C. So as long as they dont die after the 3 year warranty XD

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I frame-limit most of my games, no need for 300fps while waiting in-menu and 90fps in-game while my monitor can only display 75 frames per sec.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
(sorry if im not suppose to say name of websites)

You are absolutely allowed to do that, it only helps other builders find the stuff better.

I frame-limit most of my games, no need for 300fps while waiting in-menu and 90fps in-game while my monitor can only display 75 frames per sec.

Via vsync in the graphics options or are there better ways? I have precisely that issue where some menus just go up to 300fps, maxing out the GPU (and causing noise), while they stay at 60 in-game with vsync turned on. The Steam Big Picture overlay is particularly taxing when it comes to this.

Reactions: loc125

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
With AMD you can set FRC (Frame Rate Control), per game or global. I even noticed with The Division, which renders the menu and movies at >200fps, that limiting the framerate, improved my load times.

Reactions: iFreilicht

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Via vsync in the graphics options or are there better ways? I have precisely that issue where some menus just go up to 300fps, maxing out the GPU (and causing noise), while they stay at 60 in-game with vsync turned on. The Steam Big Picture overlay is particularly taxing when it comes to this.
Adaptive Vsync is the option you want (successor to the Frame Limit option in Nvidia Inspector). On AMD cards it's the aforementioned Frame Rate Control option.

Reactions: iFreilicht

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
Does anyone here know the latest pinout for the HDPlex? I know Josh had made sleeved cables for the HDPlex so maybe he can help. I posted a picture of the pinout for Z97I and HDPlex 250W in the Sleeving and Crimping subforum so you can check that out. They're almost the same except for 1 pin, which is -5V for mobo while 12V for the HDPlex. HDPlex seems to have missing -5V pinout.

Thanks!

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
Does anyone else run a Gigabyte z170n wifi? I am having issues with getting the PWM fan control for the CPU fan to do anything normal. It doesn't show up on speedfan and I even tried using the in-house utility with little success. I'm running a noctua NHl9i and my fan seems like it's stuck on max.

Any help is appreciated! :D

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
RenG,

I love HDPLEX. They provide all the info you could ever want on their website! Big shoutout to them. Here is the pinoutsheet I use and it is up to date:

As for your fan issue, zhl146,...man, it is so hit or miss with motherboards and speedfan... :( Sometimes you get a board that JUST WILL NOT cooperate with PWM.

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
RenG,

I love HDPLEX. They provide all the info you could ever want on their website! Big shoutout to them. Here is the pinoutsheet I use and it is up to date:

Hi Josh,

It is the same diagram I saw. But what if the motherboard is something like this?

As you can see, it needs -5V rather than the supplied 12V by the HDPlex in one pinout. I'm planning to use extension cables for the HDPlex but this one pinout is stopping me from that plan. Any ideas?

Thanks!

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I'm running the HDPlex DC-DC PSU on a Z97I-Plus right now without any issues.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
What the hell does that board need -5 VDC for?
My understanding was that it was phased out with ISA slots since that was the reason for its existence.

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
I'm not sure either. I just don't want to fry anything if I used extension cables.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
What the hell does that board need -5 VDC for?
My understanding was that it was phased out with ISA slots since that was the reason for its existence.

Wait, that is weird. I have the Z97I-Plus too and I never had a wire plugged into that -5V pin before and have always used it with no problems. I'm using the HDPlex 160w DC-DC board that has the obsolete -5V pin empty (no white wire). RenG, you should be good without it.

Last edited:

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
Wait, that is weird. I have the Z97I-Plus too and I never had a wire plugged into that -5V pin before and have always used it with no problems. I'm using the HDPlex 160w DC-DC board that has the obsolete -5V pin empty (no white wire). RenG, you should be good without it.

I think I read somewhere that some motherboards need it while some don't. I'm trying to find that list but sadly I can't remember. :(

Anyways, should I remove the wire connecting those pins in my extension cable or do you think it is safe?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I think it is perfectly safe. Worst case scenario your motherboard will be like WHOA, WTF? And not turn on.

*edit*
My lawyer made me add that I have *only* blown up like...five powersupplies. Six at the most. They had it coming I swear!