S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I believe ID-cooling have other options, one that's essentially their take on the Zalman CNPS2x.

For anyone wondering (images are links to product page):

They are much taller than the CNPS2X is, though. The DK-01 is 52mm, the DK-01S is 43mm tall. There's also the DK-01T which seems to just be the DK-01 with a worse fan. Not sure if I'm a fan of those units.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
For anyone wondering (images are links to product page)
(images removed)

They are much taller than the CNPS2X is, though. The DK-01 is 52mm, the DK-01S is 43mm tall. There's also the DK-01T which seems to just be the DK-01 with a worse fan. Not sure if I'm a fan of those units.

I was referring to the IS-25i which linipc did a review on. It's not a circular design, but it does have two heatpipes to the singular one on the CNPS2x. Additionally, the fan is screwed on vs. pressure mounted.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Got my case today - looks fantastic. I'm still waiting on a couple parts (I ordered a SM961 but that's looking like August now, alas) and still trying to find a short PCI-E extender but I'm looking forward to trying to shove this build in it. Have a couple things I'll be trying for cooling, we'll see what works out.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That flat orange looks real good. Would be super sweet to go with the B85 Phoenix board.

Quoting myself because the newly announced Gigabyte ITX sized 1070 fits the color scheme. Now I want a black and orange Gigabyte themed build with the case.

I can now build a rig this size with something more powerful than a 980 without the power spike BS that the R9 Nano has.

Man, I really didn't need another slim mini ITX rig but here we are :eek:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hehe 1070 itx size will rock inside the s4 mini!
My only concern is related to those feedback with burned hdplex power supply using gtx970...
At least it's still possible to use external sfx..:)

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I'm not thinking the Gigabyte 1070 ITX will fit...it is taller than the Asus 970 ITX DirectCU, and Josh had to make modifications to make that work. The only possibility of it working is if the PCB is the only part that reaches that high (the shroud is angled down where the power connector would be) and the PCB doesn't interfere with the power connector.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I can't say for certain but the sloped heat sink looks promising. If someone wants to send me one I'll test it and make the mods for you and send it on your way!

A couple of customers have helped me test fit cards in this manner...my customers rock!

The card is huge though...makes me wonder if I need to make the next run of the minis taller. I really hate the oversized PCBs not just cause of the mini but because it sucks for most small form factor cases.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Could you put the power input just above the GPU PCI bracket slots next to the rear I/O cut-out for the motherboard? That way it opens up all of the space above the GPU.

Edit: I was thinking possibly a third PCI bracket slot would be ideal, from a modularity standpoint, on the back above the other two, but then I looked closer at the spacing and it looks like there would need to be at least a few more millimeters for something like that.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
And here is now gtx 1060. However, despite first rumors, it requires pci express 6 pins.
It should be faster than rx 480, but also 150$ more expensive than rx 480

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Josh, for the builds that you've done with the 6700T - what is the typical power consumption (e.g. gaming) versus the 65w TDP counterparts?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Josh, for the builds that you've done with the 6700T - what is the typical power consumption (e.g. gaming) versus the 65w TDP counterparts?

Great question. TL;DR heat is what you want to manage. As even on the Dell 330W the build below runs fine from a power draw perspective. Every watt counts.

I don't have the greatest metrics, as for most of the systems with 45w CPUs I was using the 285 and 380 ITX systems which can soak alot of juice. For most users there isn't a HUGE difference between the two, but some games that 20W difference can give you an edge--personally just for heat management I think it nice. I do have lots of good metrics for for following system, as I seem to always be building one for a customer:

(highest sustained point at least 1 second long, micropeaks not measured)

65W CPU + z170 system and Asus GTX 970 (5 systems averaged)

Web browsing: 48W
Youtube: 56W
Prime 95: 107W
Valley Bench : 215W
Valley + Prime95: 255W
Most Gaming: 220W
Mech Warrior Online: 245W

45W CPU with GTX970:

Mech Warrior Online: 222W

That's pretty much what I have for wattage measurements.

However I DID measure system performance between 45W CPUs and 65W CPUs for REAL LIFE gaming, and I found that there is barely a difference even in MWO, which uses more of the CPU power. The biggest difference came on the Forest Colony 2.0 map with lots of stupid particle effects and physics, where I could gain up to 7 FPS between the 6700-T stock vs a 5820K @4.2Ghz (all features enabled).

Now that is impressive to me...

I'm a content creator so I like CPU power more than GPU power myself, but it is impressive to me that you can buy a 45w CPU and have it on par with a 145w CPU (base clock!).

CONSIDER HEAT

All of the custom builds I have done the customer has requested 970s (earlier this year it was the 380). The system will get ridiculously hot without air circulating in the room and touching the system. Here is a chart I made of the current system I have in my office I am building for a customer. Please note that all these were taken in the vertical orientation with the black bezel pointed down (heat difference is almost 25% less if you flip it around the other way!)

Ambient was measured via my thermostat on the other side of the room, meaning where the system was obviously would be much warmer. The point of this run wasn't to be scientific, but rather to see at what point the system would crash or throttle to a stop. Neither happened, but you can see how much throttling can happen with no room cooling!

What is interesting though is how little throttling impacts games. I played Overwatch on Sunday for like...5 hours. I followed a similar regimine and took heat measurements between matches. For two hours I played without air conditioning and the room got to 81F and the S4 Chassis front bezel (which can act as a heatsink for the HDPLEX if you butt it against without the velcro which is my standard practice now) reached 51C!!!!!! However the game ran perfectly smooth at 2560x1440 with AA and vsync enabled with zero system lag spikes, something I would have expected seeing a 25% throttle in heaven under lighter conditions. It is worth noting that RealTemp put the CPU at 55C at the hottest point, which is unexpected but very nice. With a 85w CPU I would be seeing 70s-mid 80s depending on the game, which could also spill over to the GPU...

SIDE NOTE: This was done with a Ribbon Cable that was NOT mine (for testing purposes.) I ran the test one more time right after the last one in the graph and it scored 4730 at 102FPS! I am very happy with the performance of my cables, to say the least!

So you reach a point where you want to decide one of three things.

1. Go with a 750ti/950 and a 45w/65w CPU and dont have throttling but lower base scores
2. Go with a really fast build like the one above, and have bursts of raw power and then throttle down to lower GPU speeds
3. Air condition your room and have no throttling, but still a hot system!

This is why I test these builds for half a week before shipping. I need to know they can withstand these really hot temps and remain stable. My goal here is not to convince anyone that these temperatures are ideal...they aren't! But you need to make tradeoffs somewhere and some people choose power over heat management.

One final note about heat. I hear that people experience throttling with their 950PROs, but I've not found it to be an issue with the S4 Mini, at least in any metric that I have measured. Possibly sustained transfer of video files for hours at a time, but I've even tested that for an hour and when the system reaches these stupid hot temps it still runs strong:

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Thank you Josh.

I'm basically at a point where I'm trying to figure out the best setup I can build without using the HDPLEX.
I'm preferring the cleaner builds using the Z4-ATX-200 or the standard PicoPSU 160 XT.

As a performance baseline, I'm currently using a gaming laptop (MSI GS60) which draws about 170W (i7-6700HQ + GTX 970M) on load - it only has a 150W adapter so the internal battery drains during gameplay. This is a noticeable flaw pointed out on at least one review.

So - I'm looking to use either 6600/6700T plus any GPU (RX 460, GTX 1050 Ti) that will give the baseline performance of a GTX 960 desktop (970M slightly under) without pushing the 180-220W envelope. Motherboard will either be H or Z series, but I assume the power draw won't differ too much given I won't be overclocking at all.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Yeah your build is pretty much what I am waiting for myself. Trying to save up for my own Mini!

I think it's fairly reasonable as I have got a 960 and 65w i7 to run off the Pico 160 KIT and remain stable even in MWO. (This is PUSHING it though at 202w...10w over the bricks capacity)

I want more SSDs though...waiting on some nice sized M.2 drives to come out. :D

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Anyone here done any legitimate stress testing on the Z4-ATX-200 yet? I'd love to know where it caps out and what kind of heat it produces before trying it out in my own system.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Anyone here done any legitimate stress testing on the Z4-ATX-200 yet? I'd love to know where it caps out and what kind of heat it produces before trying it out in my own system.

I got in touch with the Pico-Box rep and the word is:
  • 200W lab tested provided you cool it with a 80mm chassis fan
  • Recommendation to keep load at 160W
As for stress-testing, I'll hand this back to MarcParis as he actually owns the Z4...

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Do you know vaguely when you'll have more of the PCI-E cables available, Josh? I've not had much success finding anything that's not super long.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Huh. So by my measurement with my single slot pci-e card in bottom slot I have 38mm of space above it, and the Silverstone TD03-SLIM AIO cooler is 37mm high... I'm guessing there might be airflow issues with actually pulling adequate air through that 1mm gap though?