S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Wait, you have some in that glacier white still? Hah, guess I need to pull the trigger on this. Emailing.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
OMG I'd love one of the two orange units. Wonder how quickly I can save the $!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That flat orange looks real good. Would be super sweet to go with the B85 Phoenix board.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
I got one, I got one!

So that's an S4 mini and a DAN A4-SFX incoming...

High-level plan:
  • S4 mini - Skylake/Kaby Lake 35-65w + GTX 1050/1060 or RX 470/460
  • DAN A4 - Icelake + Volta GPU

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
I got one of the glacier white ones. I've decided to back off trying to cool a 135W chip and am gonna stick a E5-2680 v4 in there instead. 120W, and allegedly ok up to 86°C. I did check around to see if I could maybe manage to shove an AIO cooler in the 1 pci slot space behind the GPU but ehhhhh that seems pretty dubious. Silverstone has some that are 37mm thin (fan+radiator) but that's as slim as I'm seeing.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
I got one of the glacier white ones. I've decided to back off trying to cool a 135W chip and am gonna stick a E5-2680 v4 in there instead. 120W, and allegedly ok up to 86°C. I did check around to see if I could maybe manage to shove an AIO cooler in the 1 pci slot space behind the GPU but ehhhhh that seems pretty dubious. Silverstone has some that are 37mm thin (fan+radiator) but that's as slim as I'm seeing.

That's actually not a bad idea -- are you talking about the SS Tundra 240mm?

Not sure if you could just mount it if you're using on-die graphics.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=598&area=en is what I was thinking of which I don't think will fit but won't hurt to measure the space once I get my case.

No integrated on the Xeon but the gfx card I'm using is also half height so I have a little more space to play with if I'm making a solution instead of buying, too. If I was trying to put a system together myself, I'd probably see about pulling the fan off the gfx card and cool that in the same loop.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yes i did, what do you want to know?

The only difficulty is to handle proximity between power button and pico psu. Also know that it's provided with dell converter, quite useful.
I used for my first testing on my s4 mini. I replaced by atx extension+sfx power suppy as no mobile power supply was handle to handle power peak of r9 nano.

Reactions: Soul_Est

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Awesome to know, MarcParis. Do you know what the peak stable output of the Z4 (given unlimited input)?

My intended build is:
Either one of:
  • PicoPSU 160 XT + 192W adapter from pico-box.com.au
  • Z4-ATX-200 + Dell adapter or Voodoo 350W
i5-6500 + IS-VC45 + Noctua NF-A9x14
8GB 2133
H170N-WiFi
950 Pro 256 GB
< leftover power limit for GPU >

As for GPU, hoping to use something more power/thermal friendly like future GTX 1050/60.
  1. What do you mean by proximity between power button and the PSU -- is the default cabling not compatible?
  2. As for adapter/converter, I was planning on picking up two (backup) Voodoo 350W power supplies just for nice overhead (and potential use for other projects too).

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
By default you will receive z4 atx 200 with 5-7.4 converter that fits with dell 240w/330w or voodoo 350w.

For proximity, i mean you need to bend wire that output from bulging power button, do not let the button push on dc-dc block.

Otherwise with config, you can go for rx460 or any gpu without any pci express connector, with no big issue.

What i don't know if you will have coil whine on load, I didn't try with gpu. With my core i7 6700k on occt test, there was a very very tiny coil whine (only hearable at 20 cm).

Ps : cool that you are considering id cooling is-vc45+noctua fan, a true beast..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
you can ask directly to pico psu.
By default, it's coming with every connector except pci express connector. If you want a special bundle, contact them directly, they are quite quick to answer. I'll send you by MP, their email

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Josh (or others) - is there a comprehensive list of cooler/fan combinations that will fit in the S4 mini (other than Intel/Noctua/Zalman)?

I'm just looking at your product page and you say the cooler height is 40mm - but the dimensions of an IS-VC45 with Noctua fan measures about 44mm?

Marc, you can probably elaborate since you're actually running it ;)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
On intel socket, 45mm is the tallest cpu cooler you can use in S4 mini.
Josh mentionned 40mm as safety margin and also the quiestest solution (as proximity between S4 cover and fan are creating air perturbation...personnally I'm not hearing them in my living room)

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Ah, I understand.

I believe ID-cooling have other options, one that's essentially their take on the Zalman CNPS2x.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Is that with the standard gauge HDPLEX cables?

I'm really hoping a mini-ITX version of the RX 470 will become available this next month.
Yes, they were actually the only stock cables left in my system. I have no idea what happened except that when i tried to remove the connector it was fused to the socket and all the wires were browned at the edge.