S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2017
You may want to rotate the heatsink so it doesn't exhaust directly on the first memory module. Josh has seen significant deterioration and failure of memory with that.

Everyone still abides by the laws of thermodynamics...Kryonaut is not a liquid metal TIM. Thermal Grizzly's liquid metal is Conductonaut and their Kryonaut is just a standard silicone-based thermal paste.

I did wonder about this, do I need to take the heatsink all the way off? Clean and re apply paste etc. ?
Thanks

Edit to add:
I don;t see at all how to turn it, the bolts are a rectangle shape layout so unboltign it will only flip it 180 degrees. And I don;t think the brackets fitted two ways.
How is it done?
Thanks

Last edited:

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
Tidied the wiring on my build
I did not :)
just swapped the Noctua fan with a bit larger Scythe hoping to move some air around the VRM, too. no temperature tests yet.

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
The backplate on my 1080 Ti Mini literally does nothing and I'm guessing the 1080 Mini is the same way. There's no thermal pads to transfer heat and it is covered in a protective plastic film that actually insulates heat. I removed mine to fit a scythe fan behind it. This requires removing the heatsink first, so keep that in mind.

How did you go about removing the heatsink on your 1080 Ti? I would like to do this, I have the back plate hardware already removed.

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
I have given up! I can't find the egg. I have been though every page and can't find it!
I need hints lol.

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
However I have a couple questions for the seasoned S4 guys. This will be my 3rd S4 build that I am planning and I hated the HDPlex 300 with a passion due to the coil whine. My question is has the coil whine been improved or gone away all together with the new 400w under load? I love this case but I have never found a setup that has worked as my main PC well with noise. The case design is second to none and I love it and haven't found a better looking case in my opinion yet.

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
However I have a couple questions for the seasoned S4 guys. This will be my 3rd S4 build that I am planning and I hated the HDPlex 300 with a passion due to the coil whine. My question is has the coil whine been improved or gone away all together with the new 400w under load? I love this case but I have never found a setup that has worked as my main PC well with noise. The case design is second to none and I love it and haven't found a better looking case in my opinion yet.
I fixed 80% of my coil whine with some epoxy on my HDPLEX300 coils, check my build log in my sig and check the last post. actually its this: Post #64 :)

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
had the hd plex 300w and it only coil whined when i was at max really. I have the 400w one and i never notice any coil whine. But again i down graded from a gtx 1080 to a gtx 1060 and i am much happier with the noise and works for what i need it for.

Reactions: ngriesdo

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
had the hd plex 300w and it only coil whined when i was at max really. I have the 400w one and i never notice any coil whine. But again i down graded from a gtx 1080 to a gtx 1060 and i am much happier with the noise and works for what i need it for.
I have a 1060 ready for this build. The only concern I have is noise and performance on my 1440p ultrawide.

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
I'd say 1080 minimum for 1440*3440. even with a 1080 i would sometimes struggle to max games and stay above 60 fps. i actually just upgraded to a 1080ti for my ultrawide set up and id say that its the perfect GPU got this resolution
I have had a 1080 and with the games I play it doesn’t really matter. If I want ultra then yeah a 1080 is the best but I don’t have the budget or the noise tolerance for a 1080 Mini right now. I don’t really care about max settings all I’m aiming for is medium at 60 FPS and I don’t think I’ll have an issue with that.

Reactions: Biowarejak

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
I have had a 1080 and with the games I play it doesn’t really matter. If I want ultra then yeah a 1080 is the best but I don’t have the budget or the noise tolerance for a 1080 Mini right now. I don’t really care about max settings all I’m aiming for is medium at 60 FPS and I don’t think I’ll have an issue with that.

Yeah I'm the guy they all joke about "59 fps, time to upgrade!"

On another note I got my HDPLEX400 today! It's bigger than I thought it would be but still impressively compact.

I will definitely be ordering a set of SkyWire cables when they are back in stock. The cables that came with the PSU do the job but man is it messy haha.

Unfortunately my Seagate 2TB BarraCuda stopped working after final assembly even though it worked fine on my initial testing... It very audibly spins up for a second then stops over and over again. Anyone have any ideas that I can try before I RMA it? I have tried different SATA ports and plugs. Even moved it to my big rig with the same results.

I ran it through some stress tests and the whole thing is surprisingly quiet and temps are pretty good as well.

I'm thinking about getting the aluminum powder coated soon but I'm not sure. I want a finish that is very durable as this will go in and out of bags very frequently

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'm thinking about getting the aluminum powder coated soon but I'm not sure. I want a finish that is very durable as this will go in and out of bags very frequently
I'm curious about the durability of the powdercoat myself. It should be perfectly fine but I'm terrified of chips and having to pay a large fee to refinish it.