S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
2. Even if you, right now, begin with a 1060/1060 mini, would you recommend getting the HDPLEX 400W if I'm unsure if I want to upgrade to a more powerful GPU in the future? Or do you still recommend the 160W Pico?
Don't use pico with 1060. By itself it's already a 120w part. With a 65w cpu you're prob looking at 250w total system wattage. 400w is a safer bet. You can just use a 330w brick.
Josh recommends 160w pico for 1050ti class which is 75w.

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Don't use pico with 1060. By itself it's already a 120w part. With a 65w cpu you're prob looking at 250w total system wattage. 400w is a safer bet. You can just use a 330w brick.
Josh recommends 160w pico for 1050ti class which is 75w.

Oh? On his website it says 160W is enough for 1060 and a 65W CPU but maybe that's incorrect?

Dubnobass

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2017
You can try, 160 pico can handle 200+ as long as the brick can support it.

Btw, we are talking about 160 pico from hdplex, aren't we?

I hope the hdplex 160 works for this setup, I am using the dell 330w brick. I finally have all my parts minus the case and will be firing it all up this week. The HDplex 160 I just got has a kmpkt plate on the front and looks really slick, too bad it faces the ram.

Dubnobass

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2017
I had an HDplex 400 but couldn't get it to fit in my logic Supply mc600. So Larry who is awesome let me exchange for the 160. After doing that I returned my logic Supply since the S4 is the main reason I found this forum and will just wait for the next preorder.

If the 160 is inadequate for my power needs I will probably buy the 400 again and save the 160 for my son's build and just dump a 1050ti in his.

I even purchased ram that was too tall so even when I get an s4 I'll need to cut a hole for it like the Linus tech build. So far my SFF experience has been a bit of a roller coaster. But I am super pumped to get everything fired up this week, I have a beautiful old HP case from 1999 or so that was my moms I'll be using in the interim. Not SFF and not pretty in any way haha.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I had an HDplex 400 but couldn't get it to fit in my logic Supply mc600. So Larry who is awesome let me exchange for the 160. After doing that I returned my logic Supply since the S4 is the main reason I found this forum and will just wait for the next preorder.

If the 160 is inadequate for my power needs I will probably buy the 400 again and save the 160 for my son's build and just dump a 1050ti in his.

I even purchased ram that was too tall so even when I get an s4 I'll need to cut a hole for it like the Linus tech build. So far my SFF experience has been a bit of a roller coaster. But I am super pumped to get everything fired up this week, I have a beautiful old HP case from 1999 or so that was my moms I'll be using in the interim. Not SFF and not pretty in any way haha.
You'll need to read this : https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/kmpkt-dynamo-dc-12v.1628/

This unit basically passes its input dc (from an external brick) to your 160 unit while powering your gpu separately, all synchronized. With this configuration it basically does what hdplex 400 does in 2 separate unit. While it sounds like complicating things, in small builds like the s4 it can possibly save some cabling headache. Because you don't need 24 pin to 24 pin like you would with an hdplex 400.
Instead it'll be 6 pin from dynamo to pico which plugs to mobo, another 8 pin from pico to mobo's eps, 6 pin from dynamo to gpu (so you don't use the 6 pin pcie in your pico) then 6 pin from dc input to the dynamo.

Dubnobass

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2017
You'll need to read this : https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/kmpkt-dynamo-dc-12v.1628/

This unit basically passes its input dc (from an external brick) to your 160 unit while powering your gpu separately, all synchronized. With this configuration it basically does what hdplex 400 does in 2 separate unit. While it sounds like complicating things, in small builds like the s4 it can possibly save some cabling headache. Because you don't need 24 pin to 24 pin like you would with an hdplex 400.
Instead it'll be 6 pin from dynamo to pico which plugs to mobo, another 8 pin from pico to mobo's eps, 6 pin from dynamo to gpu (so you don't use the 6 pin pcie in your pico) then 6 pin from dc input to the dynamo.

This was a thread I just stumbled on to. Sounds exactly like what I'd need. I really like the direct plug for the 24 pin. Thanks.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
@Dubnobass , me too - S4 is the first reason I'm here. I've been planning a build which I've been buying one by one, and fortunately while waiting for the next S4 preorder, good stuff keeps propping up. It's really building up to be quite a christmas present lol. If I really can get kmpkt's dynamo mini from hdplex I'll order right now.