S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well r9 nano was coiling like hell...this card was already a returned card..now I understand why..next one..:)

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Well r9 nano was coiling like hell...this card was already a returned card..now I understand why..next one..:)

Can't you stop the source of the coiling? When I owned a HD 6990 - I remember reading here you could apply nail polish to the inductor coils and that would alleviate the buzzing sounds.

Reactions: Ceros_X

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
in fact, I can compare the noise I faced like motoricycle in load...bro-bro-bro...:D Never heard such loudest coil whining.

I'm returning this GPU, unsaleable for my point of view.

I've ordered another one which I know it's not loudly coiling in load (just some buzz on heaven valley credits)...ok..ok i've bought Vision Tek R9 Nano that Josh was showing in his video..:) I prefer that because I'm so lucky that I'll pick all failing R9 Nano instead of good ones..:):)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
"Buzzing" coil whine on high framerates (like the Heaven Valley credits) are very normal in my opinion and hard to eliminate (seemingly). But the Bro-whine is a new one :D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I tried heavy details on Heaven valley benchmark. My framerate was about 60-75 fps..not crazy fps thus..:)

I guess R9 Nano has a quality issue to be honest...:)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
AMD makes the GPU cores, board partners make the cards, it's their duty to do the final QC. So it's not the R9 Nano that has a quality issue, it's the specific card from the one of the manufacturers that has an issue. Coil whine isn't a standalone problem either, the combination of certain components can cause coil whine. You could very well replace your PSU and it could disappear. Or so people on the internets are saying.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Coil whine is more down to circuit design than individual components: while a vibrating potted coil will be quieter than a bare coil, it's preferable to design power delivery circuitry that doesn't have switching harmonics in the audible range to start with. The downside is that requires more phases and more smoothing components, so is more expensive and can take up more PCB area.
In the case of the R9 Nano, the cards are all reference designs like the R9 Fury X.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
And also depending on game settings. Coil whine is more evident at very high framerates, so even on the same game someone with settings turned down and an uncapped framerate will experience whining almost all the time, someone with settings turned up and capped framerates will experience it far less often.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
And also depending on game settings. Coil whine is more evident at very high framerates, so even on the same game someone with settings turned down and an uncapped framerate will experience whining almost all the time, someone with settings turned up and capped framerates will experience it far less often.
That's why I've chosen to avoid from now all monitor with high refresh rate (my previous screen was 1080p144Hz Asus VG248QE) because my R9 290X coil whine was bigger at higher framerate.
Now with freesync (and also gsync), playing @60fps is really smooth and provokes less coil whine...:)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Does that really help? You could just use a 144Hz Monitor and use double-buffered Vsync (half framerate), that would do the trick as well, right?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'd choose freesync/G-sync, adaptable frame rates seem to be the best solution for most people and something I'd like to see standardized. Although in the case of G-sync you now have to also keep V-sync enabled in order for it to properly handle frames faster than the display's max refresh rate.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
First post, yay!

To the topic, being a recent S4 owner and completing my build. I was eyeing the R9 nano since it's come down in price in Europe quite nicely.
I stumbled upon countless threads about coil whine, but the lack of HDMI 2.0 port was the final deathblow for me. I can't imagine why they crippled a HTPC / mini-itx system oriented very powerfull card like that. I really hope future brings us more cards like the nano but with a better design / components.

Lack of HDMI 2.0 means no 4K @ 60hz, and there are literally no high res televsions with a displayport connector on them.
I know most ppl don't use their TV's as monitors so it's not a problem. I have a 30" HP monitor for serious gaming, but I also enjoy hooking up the mini to my downstairs 65" 4K tv, grabbing a controller and playing. Much more laid back and I really enjoy it.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sure lack of HDMI 2.0 is not a drawback for gaming in 4K/60Hz as club 3d adaptor is making TRUE & FULL convertion from Displayport 1.2 to HDMI2.0. Only missing point will be HDCP 2.2, but only useful for 4K protected content playback...I thought it was a drawback...but in fact not really as almost (if not all) 4K TV has access to application to playback directly 4K content..:)

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
They did promise 2,5x performance per watt increase, so atleast it's possible. I'm hoping the card manufacturers will take the opportunity to make small, silent as well as powerful GPU cards.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016