S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well I didn't resist long...:)
All my components are ordered (thanks to very good deal..:))

So I'm planning to put these component in a S4 mini :
  • MB : gigabyte ga z170n Gaming 5
  • RAM : 2x8Go Corsair LPX vengeance 3200Mhz
  • CPU : Intel core i7 6700K
  • CPU cooler : ID cooling ID-VC45
  • Storage : SSD M.2 nvme Samsung 950 Pro 512go
  • GPU : Sapphire R9 Nano
Everything powered by :
  • HD plex 250W + Voodoo 350W powering R9 Nano
  • Z4-ATX-200W + Dell Slim 240W powering motherboard
Noticeable point :
  • I won't put any I/O shield, orienting cpu cooler on rear of case
  • No SSD/HDD on top on R9 Nano
It should be a interessant, and I hope impressive configuration, but many challenges (fan noise, coil whining, throttling, etc..:))
My target is to replace my enthousiast gaming pc, just compressing its size by 6...

As soon as I will more news I'll open a dedicated thread in builds topic.

Reactions: Tek Everything

tomternal

Cable Smoosher
Apr 28, 2016
Im considering grabbing one of these cases for a build but had a few questions. First is the CPU cooler compatibility 40mm total or 40mm + 12mm for a slim fan like a slipstream(I want to use a cryorig c7)? Also how does it work with the HD plex? It seems like I install the HD plex and plug it in to the motherboard and then plug a laptop style power brick into it to power the whole system, but im not clear on that part.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hi tom,

For cpu cooler, max height to consider is 45mm. Cryorig c7 with its 47mm seems a bit too high.

As far as we know, maximum cooler is id cooling is vc 45. I'll give it a try.

Anyway, for 65w cpu, the best choice seems to be noctua nh l9i

Reactions: Josh | NFC

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Hi tom,

For cpu cooler, max height to consider is 45mm. Cryorig c7 with its 47mm seems a bit too high.

As far as we know, maximum cooler is id cooling is vc 45. I'll give it a try.

Anyway, for 65w cpu, the best choice seems to be noctua nh l9i

I can confirm that 45mm total is the absolutely maximum you can fit with Intel parts but I honestly don't recommend a 45mm cooler because of the turbulence noise from having the fan so close to the vents.

Marc are you going to try the VC45 with the Noctua fan? I will be eager to hear if it makes a difference to the noise. I would try myself but I cannot find one here.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sure I can try, but first I nee to receive everything lol
Noctua fan of 14 is available in France..I'll order for testîg.

I've just received id-vc 45 yesterday..I'm impressed how tiny it is..:)

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Sure I can try, but first I nee to receive everything lol
Noctua fan of 14 is available in France..I'll order for testîg.

I've just received id-vc 45 yesterday..I'm impressed how tiny it is..:)

Great, I am moving to Europe in 2 months time so I will pick one up then.

How is the finish on the bottom? My IS-40pro was beyond terrible so I had to lap it before I installed it.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've just check surface plate on my IS-VC45..I would say it's not mirror finish..but I'll see what will be impact on performance anyway.

Just as trial, I've also order noctua 14mm fan.

tomternal

Cable Smoosher
Apr 28, 2016
I can confirm that 45mm total is the absolutely maximum you can fit with Intel parts but I honestly don't recommend a 45mm cooler because of the turbulence noise from having the fan so close to the vents.

Marc are you going to try the VC45 with the Noctua fan? I will be eager to hear if it makes a difference to the noise. I would try myself but I cannot find one here.
Thanks for the response. Im more concerned with cooling than noise and I want to avoid the noctua cooler so I might just try and modify the c7 if I go that route.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Noctua fans aren't too bad. ID Cooling on the other hand makes absolutely hideous fans.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

Exactly this. I list 40mm on my site because fans need some space in order to work properly. I'm worried that by putting the height in the chassis (which could benefit coolers with fans that blow up through the heat sink) that I could cause problems for people.

Reactions: michaelmitchell

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
if ever id-vc45 is too loud, or not effective in s4 mini the second best combo I've found is : id cooling i25+slim 120mm fan (12mm thickness).

We will see...pretty soon now as all material is in transit..:)