S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

8BIT

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 16, 2016
I'd say that most people have been interested in the ASUS 970, but my actual customers have used a fairly wide spread of brands. The Gigabyte one has the most users. I'm trying to rotate out and try them all myself for my full build customers.

Here is the build I am doing this week--the motherboard and SSD work great together and I am sticking with it as I know it works well for the S4.

Cooler - NHl9i
Samsung 950 PRO -Series 512GB
Asus GTX 970 Mini DCU
HyperX FURY DDR4 2666
Motherboard - GA Z170N - Wifi
Windows 10 (64) Home Premium
Premium bulgin switch & wiring
S4 Mini (LE Powder)
NFC-Systems PCIe 16x Ribbon
HDPLEX HiFi 250W
Dell 330w or Voodoo 350w
CPU i7 6700 (65w TDP)

I like how the Asus 970 has a backplate and uses a vapor chambor for its heat plate. I'm not sure about the omni-directional cooler...It doesn't seem ideal in the S4 Mini at that high of a TDP. It might work out fantastic--I dunno, which is why I am trying it.

I noticed how you have a Voodoo 350w I am new here and interested in building in one of the S4 cases. Do you know where I can buy the Voodoo 350w in the US. Also I plan on throwing a 6700 non k with a R9 nano is the HDPLEX enough to handle it?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've already the answer..:)
If you go for a R9 Nano there are 2 major consequences :
  • your CPU 6700 has to been underclocked/undervolted to match core i7 6700T (feasible, but on proper motherboard, any Z170 should be ok)
  • Disabling AA on R9 Nano seems to generate power peak up to around 483W. That means you have to force somehow AA in the game
  • Total power consumption on this setup : CPU (35W) + GPU (185W) + RAM (5-10W) + 1xSSD (5W)
  • Advice : go for Z170 motherboard + RAM DDR4 @3200MHz minimum (eurogamer review with high speed ram)
Clear and sensible advice is to wait for a couple of weeks now to get polaris (R9 480 announced) or Pascal GPU. This new generation integrates for both companies, efficient power control.
However if you want to wait for the next short, pinnacle GPU generation (R9 Nano replacement), i'm pretty sure we will have to wait for HBM2 cards that will arrive by 2017 only (for both competitor) (ie I'm not speaking of professional products that will arrive earlier..:))

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
I've already the answer..:)
If you go for a R9 Nano there are 2 major consequences :
  • your CPU 6700 has to been underclocked/undervolted to match core i7 6700T (feasible, but on proper motherboard, any Z170 should be ok)
  • Disabling AA on R9 Nano seems to generate power peak up to around 483W. That means you have to force somehow AA in the game
  • Total power consumption on this setup : CPU (35W) + GPU (185W) + RAM (5-10W) + 1xSSD (5W)
  • Advice : go for Z170 motherboard + RAM DDR4 @3200MHz minimum (eurogamer review with high speed ram)
Clear and sensible advice is to wait for a couple of weeks now to get polaris (R9 480 announced) or Pascal GPU. This new generation integrates for both companies, efficient power control.
However if you want to wait for the next short, pinnacle GPU generation (R9 Nano replacement), i'm pretty sure we will have to wait for HBM2 cards that will arrive by 2017 only (for both competitor) (ie I'm not speaking of professional products that will arrive earlier..:))

The only set up that has shown something close to stability with an R9 Nano requires a 35W 6700T CPU, you cannot change the multiplier on a regular 6700 so you would have to under volt and under clock a 6700K on a Z170 board to try and match but it would be a long shot at best. R9 Nano is not a very good choice at this time especially with new cards around the corner.

It is important to note that the HDPLEX has a full load rating at 192W and a peak load at 228W on the 12V rail according to specs which the CPU & GPU primarily use, even though the HDPLEX has rated totals of 250W and 400W peak when actively cooled not all of that power is available at 12V so take that into consideration when planning your build. I have an unconfirmed theory that this may have contributed to the R9 Nanos instability in previous attempts to power via HDPLEX but do not have one to test with myself, I am hoping Josh can investigate this further when he has some spare time but either way the current tests show the R9 Nano is punching well above its 175TDP rating in a not so friendly way even compared to cards rated at higher TDPs so I would stay clear of it personally.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Just got some exciting news from Pico Box that is good news for the S4 mini and other DC-ATX cases for the future, they will creating a version of the X3-ATX-300 with a board layout to match the HDPLEX 250W size and mounting holes as a cheaper, more powerful drop in replacement. It will take 2-3 weeks to finish and they will be sending me a prototype to test and review.

I'm very curious about this. I know HDPLEX oddly rated the 250W quite a bit so hopefully someone will go out and compare them side by side for us. If it can handle a GTX970+4690K, it'll be the next step in making S4 builds not prohibitively expensive. :p

All we need now are risers that don't cost $20-30 and a price drop on the S4 itself.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm very curious about this. I know HDPLEX oddly rated the 250W quite a bit so hopefully someone will go out and compare them side by side for us. If it can handle a GTX970+4690K, it'll be the next step in making S4 builds not prohibitively expensive. :p

All we need now are risers that don't cost $20-30 and a price drop on the S4 itself.

But you are part of an elite owners club where they drink champagne and enjoy fine cigars while being motored around in a Rolls-Royce.

...I at least assume. I don't know because I can't afford a Mini yet.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016

When they send me the prototype I will compare them side by side but I am almost certain a GTX970 + 4690K will be no problem. I am currently thinking of a way to artificially test different loads with the limited hardware I have.

But you are part of an elite owners club where they drink champagne and enjoy fine cigars while being motored around in a Rolls-Royce.

Well I blew all my money on one and now live on the street... totally worth it though.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

8BIT

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 16, 2016

Hey can you help me come up with a build I want to build in the S4 but I want a R9 Nano what components should I use?

Looking to use a i7 with 16gb of ram and a 500gb + ssd with a nano of course

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well coming from watercooling, I don't find at s4 mini as crasy expensive. Your case + power supply are investment, and well future proof. You can keep the same case over several configurations. it's the same principal for watercooling that can be carried over.

For information, there are many cases above s4 mini price.
HDPlex + Dell power brick is expensive but you are paying for their mini size and efficiency.

To conclude S4 mini is not the most expensive case I've ever bought, it's not the smallest one, but it's the smallest one where I can fit high end component in it, with Easy upgrade on all parts.
The closest product I've found is zotac nen steam box, a bit smaller, but finally more expensive than a fully new s4 mini equal configuration, but/and not with great upgrade option.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Well coming from watercooling, I don't find at s4 mini as crasy expensive. Your case + power supply are investment, and well future proof. You can keep the same case over several configurations. it's the same principal for watercooling that can be carried over.

For information, there are many cases above s4 mini price.
HDPlex + Dell power brick is expensive but you are paying for their mini size and efficiency.

To conclude S4 mini is not the most expensive case I've ever bought, it's not the smallest one, but it's the smallest one where I can fit high end component in it, with Easy upgrade on all parts.
The closest product I've found is zotac nen steam box, a bit smaller, but finally more expensive than a fully new s4 mini equal configuration, but/and not with great upgrade option.

Couldn't put this better myself, I paid a premium on shipping just to get this case and its still worth every penny and when you consider the build quality and attention to detail $150 is a deal beyond compare. If you are expecting a price drop on the S4 mini you would probably be better suited to a case of lesser quality, if anything I find it amazing that Josh is selling it so cheap and at cost I believe.

When you consider that your alternative right now is a $3000+ gaming laptop of higher total volume that will only become out dated, the S4 mini ends up being a great deal if you require a portable powerhouse for things like VR.

I do agree that there is plenty of space in the market for a cheaper lower quality case in this form factor but the S4 mini does not fit that description in the least, it is a premium case through and through and you might just have to wait for cheaper alternatives if they show up.

Until then there is always the Logic Supply MC600

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hey can you help me come up with a build I want to build in the S4 but I want a R9 Nano what components should I use?

Looking to use a i7 with 16gb of ram and a 500gb + ssd with a nano of course
Well, first of all, R9 nano is possible but with several warning not to ignored. Even with proper equipement, you have to put anti aliasing in every 3d app or you are risking a hard reboot of system.

As mandatory equipement, here is it :
  • Voodoo 350w power adapter
  • Hdplex 250w
  • Cpu 35w : natively or use for example core i7 6700k underclocked/undervolted
  • Low profile ram ddr 4 3200 (advice)
  • Ssd : sm941 or 950 pro (m.2 nvme/pci express 4x)
  • Motherboard : advice is gigabyte z170n wifi (no big radiator on top on motherboard that blocks air flow out from cpu)
  • Cpu cooler : noctua nh-l9i
  • Screwdriver and patience lol...:)
Again use R9 nano carrfully. On average power consumption of R9 nano is 185w, you have to face power peak of 483w...especillay without aa activated...strange but c'est la vie..:)

As easier pick you have r9 380 4go from sapphire or several gtx970 compact.

8BIT

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 16, 2016
Well, first of all, R9 nano is possible but with several warning not to ignored. Even with proper equipement, you have to put anti aliasing in every 3d app or you are risking a hard reboot of system.

As mandatory equipement, here is it :
  • Voodoo 350w power adapter
  • Hdplex 250w
  • Cpu 35w : natively or use for example core i7 6700k underclocked/undervolted
  • Low profile ram ddr 4 3200 (advice)
  • Ssd : sm941 or 950 pro (m.2 nvme/pci express 4x)
  • Motherboard : advice is gigabyte z170n wifi (no big radiator on top on motherboard that blocks air flow out from cpu)
  • Cpu cooler : noctua nh-l9i
  • Screwdriver and patience lol...:)
Again use R9 nano carrfully. On average power consumption of R9 nano is 185w, you have to face power peak of 483w...especillay without aa activated...strange but c'est la vie..:)

As easier pick you have r9 380 4go from sapphire or several gtx970 compact.

Would you say its better for my to build a smaller system with less powerful card now and wait for the new lineup of cards from each side to make a choice?

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Would you say its better for my to build a smaller system with less powerful card now and wait for the new lineup of cards from each side to make a choice?

That is what I am doing and I stand by it being the best decision right now, even if the R9 Nano was more stable with the Hdplex + Voodoo I would still hold out for the new cards. Do you have any specific needs for a more powerful card right now? GTX970 is a perfectly capable card, even for VR, I personally chose to save more money and get a GTX960 since I won't be getting my hands on a VR headset until closer to the end of the year.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Yeah, check this thread out if you are considering the R9 Nano. Marc, MichaelMitchell, and QinX have done a really great job summing up the trade offs/pitfalls/risks of going with that card.

I love my R9 Nano--it is one of the best GPUs I have owned and I prefer it over my FuryX--but I do NOT recommend it for the average user who wants a plug and play power brick. You are probably much better off with a GTX 970 or a cheap 750ti and waiting for next gen.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Personally I cannot go for gtx 970 as it's quite not good for 4k due to vram limitation, and lacking of hdmi 2.0 and, I'm a red supporter lol..:)
I'll wait for r9 480 for mid range gaming. Next gen with premium performance and short pcb will arrive with hbm2 usage from both nvidia and amd...but as hbm2 is late, it won't be before 2017.

As cpu I'll go for core i7 6700k as I'll adjust it to cooling/power restrictions..:)
My clear aim is to have a high end htpc/steam box..:)

Reactions: Soul_Est

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016
So the 480 Nanos will be released this summer. How will these compare to the first Pascal cards? I'm aiming to build one of these at Thanksgiving this year and I'm considering your strategy.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well, too early to say. Polaris will start with mid range gpu, whereas Pascal will start with high end expensive cards apparently.
Let's wait for end of june to discover that

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
After Josh video powering R9 nano with 2 power bricks, I'm planning to put my current enthousiast gaming computer into s4 mini, with of course, r9 nano...:)
I want to prove viability of s4 mini even for enthousiast setup...:)

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
After Josh video powering R9 nano with 2 power bricks, I'm planning to put my current enthousiast gaming computer into s4 mini, with of course, r9 nano...:)
I want to prove viability of s4 mini even for enthousiast setup...:)

I am giving serious thought to this myself, but I think I can still wait for new cards...

Might I suggest the Dell PA-9E 240W + Dell 330W combo for dual bricks, they have roughly the same profile so stack well and look good together. You could also make a holder more easily like I suggested in the Dual Pico PSU Set Up thread since they are the same width & length.