S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
This will never happen. :(

The 5mm wrap around bezel is something most manufacturers wouldn't touch (with the tool-less and clean finish) because of how hard it is to get the material to make those tight bends without fatiguing. With thicker material, I don't want to say it is impossible, but it is practically impossible.

While it might be possible to get a little more room in the stock bezel by milling it out, you would need to leave at least 1.5mm of material, so it wouldn't be enough for the popular cards anyway.

Sorry.

Bezels are up in the store. First come first served.
why not just offer the wrap around with a hole like the 2d bezel and offer vent plates with it :) I know it wouldnt be a flush fit but it would still allow for the 1080

Is there any interest for me to get more of these machined feet made? I would need to sell them for $25 a set (including the hardware):
pardon the double post but I might be interested in a set for my modmini when it comes if you end up still having some I like em

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Broxin

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
Hey Josh ... any chance you can point us in the direction of where to find these deep on/off switches for the 3D bezel to work?

"a deep switch is required to install these. the normal on/off switch in my store will not fasten these to your MINI."

I'll probably order an acrylic 3D bezel and have to cancel the on/off vandal switch I ordered with my S4 mini.

Edit: Nm I just saw you are actually selling the deep switch as an option on that page!

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Beautifull

Some thoughts:
How fragile is the wooden bezel at the milled part? The wood must be very thin there, isnt it?

Any concerns the wood getting cracks/loosing moisture if it is constantly heated up by the hot air of the gpu?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Beautifull

Some thoughts:
How fragile is the wooden bezel at the milled part? The wood must be very thin there, isnt it?

Any concerns the wood getting cracks/loosing moisture if it is constantly heated up by the hot air of the gpu?

These are good questions that I don't have scientific answers to.

The thickness is 2.32mm and all the bezels I produced seem to be rigid and secure to the touch. I wouldn't want to sell them if I felt that they were too brittle or delicate. I haven't tried to break any as they take hours to make and I fall in love with them afterwards and it seems unreasonable to break them for a test when polite care they should be fine. XD

It would be safe to say that these are not intended for rugged use. If you throw your MINI around that is what the invincible wrap-around bezel is for. But they are plenty durable for assembly and putting on your desk and running your hands across them feeling the warm wood grain. Mmmmmm.

As for cracks and moisture, each is wet sanded with 100% tung oil and rubbed/polished by hand over two days. This should protect the wood for quite some time, but it is an organic product that I expect will need care just like a musical instrument or piece of furniture.

Thank you for your questions.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Hey Josh ... any chance you can point us in the direction of where to find these deep on/off switches for the 3D bezel to work?

"a deep switch is required to install these. the normal on/off switch in my store will not fasten these to your MINI."

I'll probably order an acrylic 3D bezel and have to cancel the on/off vandal switch I ordered with my S4 mini.

Edit: Nm I just saw you are actually selling the deep switch as an option on that page!

if you need an extra or a replacement any LED 16mm momentary switch that is long should do.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Josh, thanks for your honest answer. i know what you mean, i just build our bed frame out of raw cherry wood and oiled and sanded it for two days straight :D

i wouldnd want to do anything hurtfull to that finish either as much work and time goes into woodwork like yours ;)
Thanks again.

and your new websitedesign looks great, with all those project photos.. didnt even knew you made so much different stuff :)

Last edited:

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Hey Josh,

Would it be better to buy a 3D bezel now and just email you to cancel the 2D one on a pre order or just email and ask to swap and bill the difference? If I'm reading right it looks like the 3D one may be better for a 1080?

Edit: NVM total brain fart.

Tho that zebrawood is pretty......

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
This will never happen. :(

The 5mm wrap around bezel is something most manufacturers wouldn't touch (with the tool-less and clean finish) because of how hard it is to get the material to make those tight bends without fatiguing. With thicker material, I don't want to say it is impossible, but it is practically impossible.

While it might be possible to get a little more room in the stock bezel by milling it out, you would need to leave at least 1.5mm of material, so it wouldn't be enough for the popular cards anyway.

Sorry.

Dang, so when you actually tried to make that wrap around bezel with the acrylic in your 1080 mini video, that was really like the only time you tried it, right? Well, at least you really did you best, and you did end up figuring out and learning that it would fatigue the acrylic. :( It's sad, but it was all for science and it just wasn't meant to be, I understand. I was hoping for a future wrap-around in acrylic... :/

By the way, @Josh | NFC since I had you hang onto my original S4 Mini's original/black wrap around bezel, have there been any developments on what I wanted to try with it? Like trying to mill/lazer it like the new "3D bezels" you have with the space milled out with enough depth to fit my 1080 mini, but with the GPU vent slats too (my 1080 is the one where you modded plastic shroud & trimmed to fit in my 5mm acrylic bezel with the cutout). Please let me know, because if so, then I'm down for that solution, to be able to use my original wrap-around with my plastic-shroud modded 1080 mini. :)

OR can the GPU cutout that matches the size of the S4 Mini's chassis GPU cutout, be done to my original wrap-around, and can it also have that thin plastic vent cover for it with the GPU vent slats that match the S4's side panels, with the matching brushed aluminum dinoc sticker?

nix

Trash Compacter
Jan 5, 2017
I've had some inquiries about the case after the LTT video, but they usually end with swear words when they find out about the cost! XD

To be fair it actually took me many months of consideration before I finally pulled the trigger and placed an order. The hesitation was mostly price related. I say this as someone who already owned a Ncase M1, so it wasn't my first venture into limited volume SFF builds.

The s4 mini, with a riser cable and button, after shipping, and currency conversion (Canada) ended up costing me $410. If it gets taxes added too when it comes across the border then it will end up being around $460. It's a sizable bill and ends up making it the most expensive component of my system.

Reactions: Purgatory

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I think the problem is that 16mm switches are available in a short body variant that is short enough that the nut doesn't have any threads to screw onto.

On that note, @Josh | NFC, how much thickness do all those panels add up to if they don't allow for short body switches to be used? Would be a shame if Iris 16 didn't work with your 3D bezels, so I'd rather add 1mm to the length now than later if necessary.

Mr Quimper

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 21, 2017
@Mr Quimper If you are going with the 1700X I would suggest picking up the l9a over the l9i. I just started testing the two last night, but so far it appears that the larger size of the l9a does result in a slight cooling advantage. It's also narrower, so it sits a little further away from the RAM which may or may not matter depending on what AM4 board you go with.

Sidenote: You can use l9i with AM4 boards. You can't use the l9a with 1150/51 boards... Food for thought.

Thank you and I really enjoy the content that you are creating for your youtube channel. Keep it up!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
To be fair it actually took me many months of consideration before I finally pulled the trigger and placed an order. The hesitation was mostly price related. I say this as someone who already owned a Ncase M1, so it wasn't my first venture into limited volume SFF builds.

The s4 mini, with a riser cable and button, after shipping, and currency conversion (Canada) ended up costing me $410. If it gets taxes added too when it comes across the border then it will end up being around $460. It's a sizable bill and ends up making it the most expensive component of my system.

The S4 MINI is outrageously expensive and I have incredibly high respect for my customers and want to do anything I can to create value for you.

I'm constantly looking for ways to drop the price but I've come to accept that borrowing 250k is the only way to make that happen, aside from adopting some crazy shipping logistics, which thanks to some help from people on this forum might happen for the next batch.

On that note, @Josh | NFC, how much thickness do all those panels add up to if they don't allow for short body switches to be used? Would be a shame if Iris 16 didn't work with your 3D bezels, so I'd rather add 1mm to the length now than later if necessary.

Yeah it's super close with the short body. Your amazing IRIS might fit as it is now because it's a teeny bit longer, right? I'll PM you later

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'll just post it here in case it is helpful to anyone else, but you need a minimum of 13.3mm of thread to use the new bezels. My current ON/OFF switches have 9mm of thread. And yes, I am more upset than anyone you need new switches to use the 3D bezels....I bought 250 of them for this run so I'm pretty invested in buttons right now...

Reactions: Biowarejak

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I'll just post it here in case it is helpful to anyone else, but you need a minimum of 13.3mm of thread to use the new bezels. My current ON/OFF switches have 9mm of thread. And yes, I am more upset than anyone you need new switches to use the 3D bezels....I bought 250 of them for this run so I'm pretty invested in buttons right now...
Recess the outside of the bezel a few mm so the buttons sit flush?

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
It's a great idea, and I tried it, and I didn't like the look. Could work for others if they like it though.

Thanks for commenting!
This is probably a dumb question coming from someone who obviously hasn't built in an S4 Mini (yet) but what if you did the same thing only on the inside?

only reason I can think of that it might not work is if the hole in the frame is too small (fixed with a stepper drill bit or similar) or if you use the button to hold the bezel to the frame.

Reactions: Biowarejak