RTX A2000-X3 | a cool&quiet tripple fan mod for the A2000

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
I wonder, I read you guys saying that the stock paste is crap, so is it worth it to repaste the stock thermal paste if I don't intend on modifying it otherwise?

bingsoo

Chassis Packer
Feb 8, 2023
I wasn't really planning to sell this but just share the design files for DIY. However, I may consider to run a small batch for the community if there's some interest. Price for the heatsink, shroud with fans and 1.5mm aluminum memory pad would be somewhere around EUR 110,- plus shipping.
Awesome! I'd love to purchase one if it goes on sale.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Did you manage to use the original fan header while getting around the 3k RPM minimum?

I've been thinking of ways to use the header myself without this minimum but can't get around it. AFAIK, the firmware keeps upping the PWM duty cycle until either the tachometer reports 3k RPM or the duty cycle is at 100%. Spoofing the tachometer would effectively disable the fan curve if it was a static RPM signal. Altering the duty cycle externally wouldn't work as it would still expect 3k RPM.

Perhaps you know of a device that could spoof the tachometer dynamically, based on the input, eg. report the input RPM * 2?

EDIT: So I may have found a solution. There are very small configurable PWM signal generators with a thermal sensor as baseline, specifically made for fans. They take the 12v from the fan header and generate the PWM signal themselves based on your defined settings. I may attempt with these things: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001709663472.html

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Did you manage to use the original fan header while getting around the 3k RPM minimum?

I've been thinking of ways to use the header myself without this minimum but can't get around it. AFAIK, the firmware keeps upping the PWM duty cycle until either the tachometer reports 3k RPM or the duty cycle is at 100%. Spoofing the tachometer would effectively disable the fan curve if it was a static RPM signal. Altering the duty cycle externally wouldn't work as it would still expect 3k RPM.

Unfortunately not. I'm using a motherboard fan header and Rem0o/Fan Control which works great.

Only downside is that you have this small program running in the background but on the plus side, the A2000 pulls a little less off the PCIe slot (which might be good if I'm going to OC / shunt mod it?)

Perhaps you know of a device that could spoof the tachometer dynamically, based on the input, eg. report the input RPM * 2?

I've discussed this with Gunique / Gurywah long time ago in order to "cheat" some DELL Platinum Server PSUs, but even he didn't know of any solution... :\

Another idea for the A2000 was to make a 0-RPM fan mod adapter to get rid of the noise at least in idle, but overall I think Rem0o Fan control & motherboard fan header works best for me.

1679409742894.png

Reactions: b_force

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
EDIT: So I may have found a solution. There are very small configurable PWM signal generators with a thermal sensor as baseline, specifically made for fans. They take the 12v from the fan header and generate the PWM signal themselves based on your defined settings. I may attempt with these things: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001709663472.html

Sure, this would be a possible workaround. I've also used those small fan controllers in some of my projects but if you have a fan header on the motherboard left, I'd just use Rem0o Fan Control which seems to be the overall easiest solution.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Sure, this would be a possible workaround. I've also used those small fan controllers in some of my projects but if you have a fan header on the motherboard left, I'd just use Rem0o Fan Control which seems to be the overall easiest solution.

Of course, it's how I set it up too and it's very flexible. But I can't help but feeling that it's not a 'complete' standalone product because you're still depending on external connections and software. Perhaps I'm just nit picking too much :D

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Of course, it's how I set it up too and it's very flexible. But I can't help but feeling that it's not a 'complete' standalone product because you're still depending on external connections and software. Perhaps I'm just nit picking too much :D

that's fair :) on the other hand, an extra fan controller adds complexity, risk of failure and cost... usually I try to keep things as simple as possible... :p

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
One of the reasons I like my low profile Asus GTX 1650 so much, and I paid a good premium - zero RPM fan mode.

bingsoo

Chassis Packer
Feb 8, 2023
Hi @REVOCCASES! I am a big fan of your work! Thanks for your generosity when it comes to sharing your designs with the community.

Can you comment on what equipment and training is needed to reproduce this mod? I understand that a 3D printer and something to cut metal seems to be necessary.

If you can also point me to some resources that will go beyond reproducing your mods and enable me to come out with my own mods, that will also be much appreciated. I understand I will at the very least have to learn (i) the make-up PC components (e.g. requirements for heat sinks and fans for a GPU, as you have shown in this mod), (ii) how to make precise measurements and (iii) how to design components using 3D-printing and machining software.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hi @REVOCCASES! I am a big fan of your work! Thanks for your generosity when it comes to sharing your designs with the community.

Can you comment on what equipment and training is needed to reproduce this mod? I understand that a 3D printer and something to cut metal seems to be necessary.

If you can also point me to some resources that will go beyond reproducing your mods and enable me to come out with my own mods, that will also be much appreciated. I understand I will at the very least have to learn (i) the make-up PC components (e.g. requirements for heat sinks and fans for a GPU, as you have shown in this mod), (ii) how to make precise measurements and (iii) how to design components using 3D-printing and machining software.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

hmmm... for replicating I think you could (almost) get away without any special skills or equipment if you can find a local "maker space" or some online service for 3D printing and CNC machining. If you want to do something like that all DIY you'll need at least a 3D printer and maybe a hand tool to machine the heatsink. Here is a good example how the cutouts on the heatsink can be done without a CNC: Custom heatsink for the RTX A2000 | SFF.Network (smallformfactor.net)

if you want to do your own, similar mods there's a lot to learn. Like: CAD, soldering, 3D printing, CNC machining, etc...

as a starting point I would probably first try to get familiar with CAD (e.g. watch some YouTube videos and try designing some own parts). Afterwards I'd get a cheap 3D printer & a caliper and see where it goes from there...

Reactions: bingsoo

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I would be interested to hear how the A2000 shunt mod goes, what little I have read says that it isn't as effective as modding the A4000

a little late but here is the update concerning the shunt mod...

1) Stock Settings, no Mod

Screenshot 2023-03-23 144900.jpg

2) OC via Afterburner, no Mod

Screenshot 2023-03-23 154317.jpg

3) OC via Afterburner and JK&G proposed shunt mod

Screenshot 2023-03-30 122532.jpg

Honestly I am a little bit disappointed with the results after the shunt mod. Especially since @SFFMunkee told me he is getting over 7000 GPU points without any mods. Well, maybe it's the silicone lottery or my 11700T is the limiting factor but every attempt to push the card higher, results in a driver crash.

For those interested, here are my Afterburner settings used to get the 6884 GPU Score...

Screenshot 2023-03-30 122704.jpg

Reactions: BaK and Arboreal

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
a little late but here is the update concerning the shunt mod...

1) Stock Settings, no Mod

View attachment 2439

2) OC via Afterburner, no Mod

View attachment 2440

3) OC via Afterburner and JK&G proposed shunt mod

View attachment 2441

Honestly I am a little bit disappointed with the results after the shunt mod. Especially since @SFFMunkee told me he is getting over 7000 GPU points without any mods. Well, maybe it's the silicone lottery or my 11700T is the limiting factor but every attempt to push the card higher, results in a driver crash.

For those interested, here are my Afterburner settings used to get the 6884 GPU Score...

View attachment 2442
I’ll tell you what’s screwing you. Your curve goes back up. Needs to be DEAD FLAT ! Don’t give up!

Last edited:
Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I’ll tell you what’s screwing you. Your curve goes back up. Needs to be DEAD FLAT ! Don’t give up!

Thanks for the tip. I've also tried the flat curve with similar results. The thing is that my A2000 cant go over 1600 Mhz without crashing and the shunt mod seems to have little effect improving this issue.

Maybe it also has something to do with temps? Not that mine is running hot with 65C but I saw yours was running well below 50C during benchmarks...