RTX 3060Ti Aero alternative? Meet the DIY PALIT StormX 3060Ti ITX Edition

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
I'm researching SFX cases and I found this Peeress Rider R2.
It is aesthetically good, fairly cheap and minimal liter.
I'm currently looking at the Densium 4...
It's wooden front plate makes it pretty attractive, and would seem to meet your needs.

Reactions: Valantar

noobita

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 28, 2022
today I completed my mod with a DIY backplate - nothing fancy, just for protection

I doubt it will help anything but I also put some thermal pads behind the area of the VRMs

next up I will move the card in my MIT1 build and see how it performs there...

PS: as you can see, I made two of those backplates. If someone is going to replicate this mod and should need one - just let me know.

edit: here are the test results with the backplate - a little bit cooler but this could also be the weather today

Hi, how di you make that backplate? Is it made of metal?

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
those are solid caps - they usually don't get that hot and with the PALIT cooler mod you can probably get away with cooling them only by the airflow the fan is pushing against them
hey, i have stupid question

but now my rtx a4000 has audible coil whine while idling (like annoying level since it is louder than the gpu fan at 1000 rpm)

definitely not 7660b coil whine i am sure

is it possible that becasue i didnt cool those solid caps properly thus make them whining?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
hey, i have stupid question

but now my rtx a4000 has audible coil whine while idling (like annoying level since it is louder than the gpu fan at 1000 rpm)

definitely not 7660b coil whine i am sure

is it possible that becasue i didnt cool those solid caps properly thus make them whining?

As the name suggests, coil whine comes from high frequency vibrations inside the coils (inductors) not caps. But you can try to apply some thermal pads to caps and inductors and see if it dampens the noise a bit.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
what about 3060ti Colorful mini?
What about it? The 3060 and 3060ti from Colorful are already ITX sized.

You can check out the teardown over here. 4 heatpipes, but the closed up design of the card does affect the temperatures, according to users, but it is generally fine.

Based on the link’s pictures, Colorful also uses a custom PCB design for their cards, which the StormX cooler might not fit without dremeling.

To my knowledge, there are no listings for Colorful’s coolers as well.

Reactions: george5

Oizon

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
Saw interesting stuff in reddit today

Single Fan RTX 3070 mod

TLDR: not really worth hassle
- had to get broken rtx 3060 pheonix to use its heastink
- it is 2.5 slot so it is not relevant in conventional case anyway
- Asus RTX 3070 SI is hard to get

From what i see is

our Palit/PNY RTX 3060 heatsink would fit on reference pcb of RTX 3070

it just need to install some additional thermal pads on some areas

but cooling wise? definitely need undervolt
An interesting mod. That guy says he is using that phoenix cooler which is just taller than StormX cooler as I understood. That Phoenix cooler seem to have 3 heatpipes just like StormX. I wonder if that "tallness" does actually make much difference... Also I know that 3060ti coolers come with 4 heatpipes. Not sure how tall they are but most likely same as StormX. I hope someone would test some of these coolers for the community 😁

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
So to be clear, all branded A4000's are using identical reference designs right? They'd all line up with the Palit cooler?

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
@REVOCCASES Thank you for this content/thread. Tonight I completed my 3060 TI ITX Custom. I rescued an OEM Dell 3060 TI from the mines on eBay for $285, and paired it with the PNY ITX version of the single fan cooler / also from eBay ($54 shipped). While the PNY version of the cooler is actually louder vs. the stock Dell twin fan cooler, temps are not that different. I'm pretty happy with this thing so far, I'll be even happier once it's home in my Velka 3. Thank you again for the inspiration.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Rebuilt my 4.2L PC from 2014 with a DIY 3060Ti. Fantastic mod!

slowboytommy

Efficiency Noob
Mar 31, 2022
@REVOCCASES Thank you for this content/thread. Tonight I completed my 3060 TI ITX Custom. I rescued an OEM Dell 3060 TI from the mines on eBay for $285, and paired it with the PNY ITX version of the single fan cooler / also from eBay ($54 shipped). While the PNY version of the cooler is actually louder vs. the stock Dell twin fan cooler, temps are not that different. I'm pretty happy with this thing so far, I'll be even happier once it's home in my Velka 3. Thank you again for the inspiration.
What kind of temperature are you getting? I modded my OEM Dell 3060 Ti with the Palit cooler and getting 80C full load. The problem is my hotspot temp jump all the way to 95c - 100c. Is this normal?

slowboytommy

Efficiency Noob
Mar 31, 2022
What kind of temperature are you getting? I modded my OEM Dell 3060 Ti with the Palit cooler and getting 80C full load. The problem is my hotspot temp jump all the way to 95c - 100c. Is this normal?
Also, the included mounting screw are quick long. Is this a problem of inadequate mounting pressure?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Also, the included mounting screw are quick long. Is this a problem of inadequate mounting pressure?

Already replied to you on Reddit. 100C hot spot seems a bit high. My card stays well below 90C. I'd check if the cooler makes good contact with the die and memory / VRM chips. Maybe you also need to set a custom fan curve for your DELL OEM card.

Reactions: slowboytommy

slowboytommy

Efficiency Noob
Mar 31, 2022
One more question: do I need thermal pads for these? The old cooler came with pad that I couldn't remove without destroying them, so I left it without pads.