Realan i3s passive cooling mod

Spartoz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2018
Hi
I always wanted some cheap tiny PC that would make no sound at all while using it

So recently i bought some parts for cheap

That's what inside the PC today

- i3 3225 (55W TDP) with intel HD4000
- Prolimatech Megahalems cooler
- 8Gb DDR3
- Asrock H77M ITX
- KingSpec P3 120Gb SSD
- Chieftec 120W ITX power supply
- Realan i3s case

An now for the build Log

The case

Looking for how much place I have for the psu

Screws diddn't match so hot glue it is

Inside done

Test fitting before cutting the metal panel

The final product

I'm happy with the result and the temperatures are good too, after 15-20 minutes OCCT + Furmark / Aida 64 CPU+GPU torture test, im getting max 67°C on the cpu

Reactions: Soul_Est and Nanook

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Well when I started clicking through pictures I started asking myself "how is he going to passively cool this?" Then I came across the photo of the tower sticking out of the case.. not the direction I thought it would go! But it looks really cool, kinda like an old tube amp!

Realan makes a really great case, I've got a i3 3245 in mine with that ASRock board.

Realan makes DC-ATX power supply boards that should fit in the mounting holes provided in the case if you ever have issues with the one you purchased. They are pretty cheap and widely available.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
That's an interesting build. I have to ask: could you retry the torture test with the case stood on its side, to see how much (if any) difference the easier airflow path through the cooler would make?

Also: why no I/O shield?

Spartoz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2018
Yes I am going to do a torture test again and will post the results but not imediately, it's more than 15°c hotter inside my room now than 20 days ago, :confused: I will wait until the heat wave stops

And for the I/O shield, I dont have it, I bought the CPU, mobo and cooler secondhand and it diddn't came with it

Spartoz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2018
So, little update
I did an hour test with OCCT

Still really good temps :)
After 40 minutes they stabilized and stopped rising

Then I tested with the case vertically and I lost about 5°c, not a lot but still noticeable :)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
So, little update
I did an hour test with OCCT

Still really good temps :)
After 40 minutes they stabilized and stopped rising

Then I tested with the case vertically and I lost about 5°c, not a lot but still noticeable :)
73 degrees max with passive cooling is nothing to scoff at! You've even got headroom for a (slightly) faster CPU should you want/need it :)