Concept Devotion: Thin ITX Laptop

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
@Essence of Flowers - The OpenUPS is a 12v battery only, with proper charging and discharge controls. You'll need a 12-24V charger for input to it, and the PicoPSU to power the board via ATX and PCIe power as much as it's capable (within the ~5A limit).

Might be less than ideal for the full gaming system, but with a low enough power use, it could certainly do the trick.

The original OpenUPS (also at the above link) does ~6A with a 10A peak.

Essence of Flowers

Cable Smoosher
Jan 12, 2024
@Essence of Flowers - The OpenUPS is a 12v battery only, with proper charging and discharge controls. You'll need a 12-24V charger for input to it, and the PicoPSU to power the board via ATX and PCIe power as much as it's capable (within the ~5A limit).

Might be less than ideal for the full gaming system, but with a low enough power use, it could certainly do the trick.

The original OpenUPS (also at the above link) does ~6A with a 10A peak.
Alright, that's about what i was thinking, i had planned out a low profile PSU, probably pico but I may need to go with a larger one depending on goal and space budget, followed up with the OpenUPS + a charging board. I'm slightly considering the idea of a dGPU, its just it adds a lot of complication to the concept given it adds more to heat management, space management, and power management. The most power budget friendly one I can find is the RX 6400, and even that kinda blows the power budget out of the water to a degree, so I'd have to consider larger power supply units which only makes space management more of a nightmare.

Truthfully I'm most likely going to just settle with using an APU and not overcomplicating the build with a dGPU, but a small part of me does like the idea of a dGPU in this thing since I'm going to be traveling a lot in time and having a desktop stuck at home nonstop when i want my vidyas sucks.