fma965

Cable Smoosher
Dec 21, 2019
So i replaced my SFX 650 PSU with a Seasonic 140mm ATX PSU, works well
Woops forgot to say it's a 1000w Gold 140mm Seasonic PSU

Tschungle

Efficiency Noob
Feb 26, 2021
Sorry, I accidentally typed the "Hi" there above ..
So, I also got a Thetis case and I got some thermal problems with it.

First of all my spec:
i7 9700k @ stock
Asus Dual RTX 3070 OC
32GB Ram
Only 1 nvme SSD
Corsair RM550X PSU

My CPU Cooler ist a Raijintek Mya and I got the original white IRIS casefan (exhaust) and added 1 Iris fan on the bottom spot as intake and 2 Iris fans as exhaust on the top.

The problem is that the GPU is pushing hot air into the CPU cooler (because the mainbord is upside down..) and everything is getting hotter and hotter..

I just bought a 240 aio (Enermax Aquafusion) so I can install it in the top.

1. What would you guys say, should I install the fans in the top and underneath to it the radiator to maximise the gap between Radiator and GPU (shouldnt be a problem since I dont got any connectors to the top just like USB and Power SW) and then, would you prefer these fans as exhaust (to blow out the hot air out the case), as intake (onto the radiator). But then the hot air from the radiator will get blown into the GPU fan ..

2. Installing 2 fans into the top, then the radiator and then my 2 iris fans as "sandwich". But how should I do it? as intake or exhaust.

3. Installing the radiator first into the top and then the 2 fans underneath it to blow through the radiator into the outside. My concern here is that the gap between the GPU and radiator fans is to small and this wil cause air noises ...

4. I think using 1 fan in the bottom center as intake is good and the standard case fan as exhaust too, right?

Sorry for all these questions but maybe someone here als had these problems and can give me some nice advices there!

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
I'd go reverse airflow in your case... set bottom and rear fan to blow inward, and rad fans at the top to push air through the rad and out the top of the case.

Tschungle

Efficiency Noob
Feb 26, 2021
Okay thanks for your reply, I will try that when my aio will arrive.

But since the GPU is pushing hot air into the bottom of the case, wouldn't it be better to do these two fans as exhaust?
As I mentioned, it's my first sff case and im quite unexperienced with airflow and stuff like that.

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Oh, right, the 3xxx series has that blow-thru fan... I guess try top down first and run prime95 and furmark together for 30mins and see what your temps are, and then reverse the fans and see if they are any better/worse...

Tschungle

Efficiency Noob
Feb 26, 2021
Alright, thank you for your help! Did you get your hands on a Cerberus X already? Maybe I can get a cheap one from eBay in Germany, but I dont know if it's worth. I really hate the thermal problematic in the thetis ..

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
No, but I've been contemplating it... the main thing holding me up is that I'm on year 6 of this hardware, ready to refresh it, but I can't get any stock of the CPUs or GPUs I want to build it with.

I instead bought a used 6950x and replaced my 5930k with it and will just use the extra cores as a stop-gap till I can get new hardware.

fma965

Cable Smoosher
Dec 21, 2019
Oh, right, the 3xxx series has that blow-thru fan... I guess try top down first and run prime95 and furmark together for 30mins and see what your temps are, and then reverse the fans and see if they are any better/worse...
only FE cards have that, my pc temps seems fine how i have it :)

Cicciobello

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 29, 2018
Hi, I have updated my Thetis
I built an air duct to expel the heat from the VGA at the top
I inserted a magnet for the grille, due to a broken clip, I also added a small handle

Config: Asus Crosshair VI, Ryzen 2600, Scythe Ashura, RX570 Pulse, Sharkoon SFX-L 500W, one HD 2,5”, one SSD 2,5”, one HD 3.5”, one SSD nvme

vid:

Reactions: anew742

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Nice!

I really like that magnetic cover. I've already started to have parts on my break from all the times I removed it.

I've been debating buying this AC Infinity fan cover/grill and cutting out the top of the case to install this with a bit more offset to better fit my radiator:

I'm not sure if the above link is embedding properly, so here's the raw link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010FAW5KM/

Pics:

I think it'll match just fine and then gives me standard fan mounts. I could even raise it a tad to make more space inside the case possibly...

This could also be useful on the front of the case to mount a fan or two.

fma965

Cable Smoosher
Dec 21, 2019
Woops forgot to say it's a 1000w Gold 140mm Seasonic PSU
Guess what guys, i'm back again!

CUSTOM LOOP TIME!

Before

AFTER

The 1000W PSU died, not sure why, awaiting SeaSonic RMA, it tripped my electric and blew multiple fuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: anew742

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Nice! Now you just have to ditch that 3.5in drive for a 2.5in ssd ;)
I recently dropped a 4TB samsung SSD in mine.

fma965

Cable Smoosher
Dec 21, 2019
Nice! Now you just have to ditch that 3.5in drive for a 2.5in ssd ;)
I recently dropped a 4TB samsung SSD in mine.
I already have a 2TB 2.5" HDD and 1x2TB NVME and 1x1TB NVME lol, the 4TB is excess but may aswell use it

Also that shelf looks dirtier on the pictures than it is, thats celotape residue lol

anew742

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 27, 2021
Thanks AcquaCow and everyone else on this thread for the detailed posts!
All of these photos and explanations are what helped me choose this case earlier this year.

Here's a quick and dirty photo of my setup at the moment:
Yes, I know the fans should be the other way around for better airflow - I only realized after getting them to fit! But it runs quiet and doesn't throttle, so it's good enough for now lol

I've done quite a few little mods to this case and hope to post a proper build log soon.

But first, I'm going to install a third 2.5" SSD; I may even use the SATA mod described in this thread.
I love how many drives this thing can fit; I'm up to seven drives and counting!

(Here's the PC Part Picker list for those wondering. Ignore the 2060 there - I sold it and haven't had a permanent or long-term replacement since)

anew742

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 27, 2021
Thanks AcquaCow and everyone else on this thread for the detailed posts!
All of these photos and explanations are what helped me choose this case earlier this year.

Here's a quick and dirty photo of my setup at the moment:
Yes, I know the fans should be the other way around for better airflow - I only realized after getting them to fit! But it runs quiet and doesn't throttle, so it's good enough for now lol

I've done quite a few little mods to this case and hope to post a proper build log soon.

But first, I'm going to install a third 2.5" SSD; I may even use the SATA mod described in this thread.
I love how many drives this thing can fit; I'm up to seven drives and counting!

(Here's the PC Part Picker list for those wondering. Ignore the 2060 there - I sold it and haven't had a permanent or long-term replacement since)
Update: I'm borrowing a 3070 FTW3 and it fits!

(I also rotated the PSU housing to hide the ugly warning labels)

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
I swapped my 1080Ti FTW3 with a 3080 FTW3 Ultra with a new water block and it's actually smaller than my 1080Ti was =P