Question about power usage and the HDPlex 200w DC-ATX + AC-DC units

Dstrm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
Working on a small file server and I'm wonder if the the HDPlex 200w combination would be enough?

Mostly spare parts, but so far the list is;

Motherboard; ASUS STRIX Z390-i
CPU; Intel i5-9400
RAM; Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
HDD; 4 x WD Red 8TB 5400 RPM
SSD; Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
ODD; LG BluRay Drive ( WH14NS40 )
and 1 random PCIEx1 to 4xSATA board

Stock CPU cooler, possibly 1 or 2 120mm fans although it'll have plenty of airflow coming from the system below it so I may just not worry about the fans.

I know it can handle the base system more than fine. But I guess my biggest question really comes down to powering all of the sata drives as it only comes with 1 plug with 2 sata connectors. If it can handle this stuff would a sata splitter be the way to go? Seems like a bit much to split that little plug into 6.

Or should I just go with another power supply?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Overall yes 200w is plenty for this build. However, like you said it doesn't come with enough connectors. I'd email Larry at HDPlex and ask what the max draw on the sata rails is and compare. I'd risk it either way assuming you get reputable connectors/splitters. The HDPlex stuff is solid and has all the electrical protections you need built in so as not to fry your equipment.

Edit; does the PCIe board also have power connectors for the SATA drives or just data connectors? If it has the power connectors then it is doing the 12v conversion and the HDPlex will be plenty powerful. If not, ask Larry as I mentioned above.