Completed Project Thin-X case: Super small, super flexible

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
Just curious, and not to distract from the work already done, but was there a reason the design was aimed to house 2x 2.5", instead of say, 1x 2.5" and rely on an M.2 for OS, or better still, 2x M.2 and no SATA drives at all? The thin-mini does produce interesting advantages for the height of the board itself, but by removing any need for SATA mounts you can free up the entire "upper deck", so to speak, for the GPU, potentially making mITX more attractive as there are some with 3x M.2 slots if I haven't gotten myself confused...

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Just curious, and not to distract from the work already done, but was there a reason the design was aimed to house 2x 2.5", instead of say, 1x 2.5" and rely on an M.2 for OS, or better still, 2x M.2 and no SATA drives at all? The thin-mini does produce interesting advantages for the height of the board itself, but by removing any need for SATA mounts you can free up the entire "upper deck", so to speak, for the GPU, potentially making mITX more attractive as there are some with 3x M.2 slots if I haven't gotten myself confused...

Thin Mini-ITX boards do not usually come with an m.2 slot, and if they do it usually doesn't accommodate the 2260 or 2280 modules. They do come with mini PCIe though. I only have one SSD that I'm using right now for all my storage and trying to get a 2.5" hard drive restored and properly wiped out since the seller told me it has been formatted but really it still had a Windows OS so I could not boot my own OS with this hard drive plugged in.

A single m.2 drive would work wonderfully with Ryzen APU builds, although I may have to make changes to the mount locations to actually fit one 2.5" drive in a way that does not interfere with most CPU coolers. Otherwise you should go m.2 only with the Ryzen APUs. The upcoming ROG Strix X470-I would be better, since it provides a video out (finally, Asus) and two m.2 slots. But the mounts themselves should not interfere with mITX I/O or the CPU cooler.

I have two mITX boards, Gigabyte GA-H110TN and AB350N that I can use to test different CPU cooler and power connector layouts. I had a working m.2 SSD at one point but it went on the fritz a few months ago and would not boot up anymore.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
A single m.2 drive would work wonderfully with Ryzen APU builds, although I may have to make changes to the mount locations to actually fit one 2.5" drive in a way that does not interfere with most CPU coolers. Otherwise you should go m.2 only with the Ryzen APUs. The upcoming ROG Strix X470-I would be better, since it provides a video out (finally, Asus) and two m.2 slots. But the mounts themselves should not interfere with mITX I/O or the CPU cooler.

Right, just thinking out loud in items of where extra volume could be saved and removing all drive mounts would be a nice option for a "Model 2" kinda thing, for those who don't need bulk storage but would like to get their PPL up as it should make way for some creative placement of the GPU. An i5 T-series 8400 or an undervolted Ryzen 5 would presumably facilitate a nice extra-LP cooler and then everything north of that could be strictly GPU-territory, giving a lot more orientation options and/or chances to squeeze down the volume even more.

There are mITX boards with 3x m.2 slots? I thought that was online micro-stx.

There's an X299 ITX from ASRock, so, it's in on someone's mind at least.. :))

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The parts for the frame are done printing, with no problems this time and have finally went out for shipping today, so it's about time :) It's gonna be until next week when I can fully assemble the case.

Reactions: jujudk

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So, @CC Ricers , I plan to get one of these, and build THIS system in it. What power brick do you recommend? Also, that blower CPU cooler you were using, where would I get that (if it's better).

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
All right, I have not yet gotten around to start a build in the case, but I've unpacked the parts and have started assembling pieces of it. Here are some pics of the unpacking and some of the assembled parts.

The entire album with all the pics can be seen here:

There are some kinks to be worked out which can mostly be resolved with minor updates to the 3D printed parts. However, there is an issue with the bottom panels. They are a bit too short, by 6mm from side to side, and some of the mounting holes do not align. Therefore, I will need to have the bottom panels re-done with the correct dimensions.

The other pieces came out just as they should, and I could at least put them together so I can demonstrate some kind of build. But I cannot ship and use the case as is as without the bottom panels they won't be sturdy enough.

So continuing today and tomorrow I will try to get as much of the case done as possible and work out how to install the parts. The hard drives may be a bit tricky, but as with other very small cases like the S4 Mini, a specific order of installation is preferred.

So, @CC Ricers , I plan to get one of these, and build THIS system in it. What power brick do you recommend? Also, that blower CPU cooler you were using, where would I get that (if it's better).

I have used the WX 4100 with a G4400 which has a higher TDP, but has stayed in the 90-95 watt area drawing power from the wall. With your system, having a T processor, you should be comfortably below 100W of power in normal gaming and benchmark loads. So a 100W power brick will do, though you could use 120W if you want to be extra safe.

As for the cooler, here is the exact same cooler that I bought. There's still plenty of them available, and will really work well for your CPU.

By the way, I could probably sell you my WX 4100 at a reduced price, as I no longer use it. You could PM me about it if you're interested.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Is that cooler quiet? Also, I may want that wx4100, if the price is good! what power brick do you use? @CC Ricers

It's not quiet at full speed. But for web browsing, videos and even most gaming it's pretty quiet, at least quieter than even the GPU that I'm currently using it with. When combined with the WX4100 the GPU is slightly quieter at idle but you can adjust its fan curve, too.

Reactions: jujudk

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
It's not quiet at full speed. But for web browsing, videos and even most gaming it's pretty quiet, at least quieter than even the GPU that I'm currently using it with. When combined with the WX4100 the GPU is slightly quieter at idle but you can adjust its fan curve, too.

Or, I may replace the fan...... DMing about WX 4100.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have assembled four sides of the case and, with a motherboard installed, it feels more solid. Still need to re-order the new bottom panels for it, especially since all the other units will be sold.

Now for the fun stuff- building a complete system in it. With the just a thin Mini ITX motherboard and blower CPU cooler, it feels sturdy enough to hold in your hands or stand on its own. I did some strength testing with the frame, by setting the case upside down.

There's no noticeable bending in the standoffs in this 3D printed frame, or any wobbling. The screws thread into the material very well. This also shows the advantage of having the standoffs separate from the bottom panel. You can easily install backplates for your CPU cooler, or an m.2 drive if supported, without removing the entire system.

Side and top view shots of the case with motherboard and cooler....

I left the paper backing on the gloss side on for most of the panels as I didn't want to completely smudge them until I test parts thoroughly.

I took it back to my desk and plugged the SSD back in. It's currently running GPU-less right now but that's a matter that I'm still working out. There's still lots to do to make sure this case is as user friendly as possible so there are still potential improvements. However it runs very cool and quiet especially with the top lid closed.

Now for some important stuff about the case and future production...

My observations and issues encountered so far:

• Installing an SSD directly onto the mounting holes is not impossible, but I found it rather cumbersome to put your hand in and around it to prop it up as you screw it on.
  • I will design a SSD tray to ease installation, that can still fit around the frame. As usual, you screw the SSDs onto the tray, then the tray to the case. The tray will sit flush to the top, with countersunk holes for screws.
    • For my own case, this will be made of a thin 1.6mm derlin (acetal) sheet.
    • For future production cases, the frame will be updated to support thicker 3mm acrylic.
  • The hole for the power switch is a tad too small, meaning you need to apply quite a bit of pressure to push it through, or attempt threading it using the switch itself. Holes need to be filed or enlarged. However...
  • I may forgo the idea to use vandal-style switches altogether. I'm thinking either a custom made 3D printed switch like what @K888D uses for his LZ7 case, or a capacitive sensor switch with a label engraved on the panel.
    • Either of these options I will want a switch that is pre-soldered on a breakout board to make wiring a lot simpler.
  • The ASL GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti cards are probably the longest cards that'll fit in this case and they need a bit of work to install.
    • You'll need to unscrew the I/O bracket and then replace it as the card needs to be inserted separately.
    • Shorter cards (~170mm) shouldn't have this issue and won't need to have the bracket removed.
  • The front PCB I/O panel fits, but just barely. The USB cables run into the motherboard and it's definitely going to be too much of a hassle to run these cables through.
    • I'll either just supply a blank (no I/O) front panel, or one supporting just one or two USB 2.0 connections on the front.
Notes for producing these cases:
  • Incremental updates like ones suggested above can be done more immediately with changes to the 3D printed frame. While bulk discounts are not possible for 3D printing, it has the side benefit of being able to iterate more frequently for case improvements.
  • Different colors are not out of the question, especially if I could sell several more (5+) cases. The most straightforward to produce will be white panels with white frame. I would also like to offer clear side panels for flashier case builds.
  • Currently, the most cost effective way to produce these panels is for 5 cases at a time unless I come up with a more efficient part layout.
  • A PCIe riser will not come standard with the case. That will be a separate cost. I may offer this as an option to purchase, estimate about $30 for a 4x riser with this case.
  • As vandal-style switches may be discarded for the final production model, the new switches will be built-in as part of the case.
  • Standard cases will be sold in one solid color. Additional custom color/clear side panels will cost extra.
    • By default, the front side exterior will be gloss, and all other sides matte.
  • Currently I am not considering to try other vent patterns, but custom ones may be an option.
  • All the screws for the case will be M3 hex screws, except for a few 6-32 screws on the back (for panel replacement) and standard motherboard screws. Hex keys will be provided for them.
  • Packaging? I don't know if I'm going to ship in plain boxes or get a bit fancier by using custom graphics. Well, that's still something in the backburner, I haven't even given this case a proper name :p
There's still a lot of work to be done in testing out parts and compatibility with the case. The frame I received to build this case isn't perfect, and will need to figure out the kinks more as continue.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I have assembled four sides of the case and, with a motherboard installed, it feels more solid. Still need to re-order the new bottom panels for it, especially since all the other units will be sold.

Now for the fun stuff- building a complete system in it. With the just a thin Mini ITX motherboard and blower CPU cooler, it feels sturdy enough to hold in your hands or stand on its own. I did some strength testing with the frame, by setting the case upside down.

There's no noticeable bending in the standoffs in this 3D printed frame, or any wobbling. The screws thread into the material very well. This also shows the advantage of having the standoffs separate from the bottom panel. You can easily install backplates for your CPU cooler, or an m.2 drive if supported, without removing the entire system.

Side and top view shots of the case with motherboard and cooler....

I left the paper backing on the gloss side on for most of the panels as I didn't want to completely smudge them until I test parts thoroughly.

I took it back to my desk and plugged the SSD back in. It's currently running GPU-less right now but that's a matter that I'm still working out. There's still lots to do to make sure this case is as user friendly as possible so there are still potential improvements. However it runs very cool and quiet especially with the top lid closed.

Now for some important stuff about the case and future production...

My observations and issues encountered so far:

• Installing an SSD directly onto the mounting holes is not impossible, but I found it rather cumbersome to put your hand in and around it to prop it up as you screw it on.
  • I will design a SSD tray to ease installation, that can still fit around the frame. As usual, you screw the SSDs onto the tray, then the tray to the case. The tray will sit flush to the top, with countersunk holes for screws.
    • For my own case, this will be made of a thin 1.6mm derlin (acetal) sheet.
    • For future production cases, the frame will be updated to support thicker 3mm acrylic.
  • The hole for the power switch is a tad too small, meaning you need to apply quite a bit of pressure to push it through, or attempt threading it using the switch itself. Holes need to be filed or enlarged. However...
  • I may forgo the idea to use vandal-style switches altogether. I'm thinking either a custom made 3D printed switch like what @K888D uses for his LZ7 case, or a capacitive sensor switch with a label engraved on the panel.
    • Either of these options I will want a switch that is pre-soldered on a breakout board to make wiring a lot simpler.
  • The ASL GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti cards are probably the longest cards that'll fit in this case and they need a bit of work to install.
    • You'll need to unscrew the I/O bracket and then replace it as the card needs to be inserted separately.
    • Shorter cards (~170mm) shouldn't have this issue and won't need to have the bracket removed.
  • The front PCB I/O panel fits, but just barely. The USB cables run into the motherboard and it's definitely going to be too much of a hassle to run these cables through.
    • I'll either just supply a blank (no I/O) front panel, or one supporting just one or two USB 2.0 connections on the front.
Notes for producing these cases:
  • Incremental updates like ones suggested above can be done more immediately with changes to the 3D printed frame. While bulk discounts are not possible for 3D printing, it has the side benefit of being able to iterate more frequently for case improvements.
  • Different colors are not out of the question, especially if I could sell several more (5+) cases. The most straightforward to produce will be white panels with white frame. I would also like to offer clear side panels for flashier case builds.
  • Currently, the most cost effective way to produce these panels is for 5 cases at a time unless I come up with a more efficient part layout.
  • A PCIe riser will not come standard with the case. That will be a separate cost. I may offer this as an option to purchase, estimate about $30 for a 4x riser with this case.
  • As vandal-style switches may be discarded for the final production model, the new switches will be built-in as part of the case.
  • Standard cases will be sold in one solid color. Additional custom color/clear side panels will cost extra.
    • By default, the front side exterior will be gloss, and all other sides matte.
  • Currently I am not considering to try other vent patterns, but custom ones may be an option.
  • All the screws for the case will be M3 hex screws, except for a few 6-32 screws on the back (for panel replacement) and standard motherboard screws. Hex keys will be provided for them.
  • Packaging? I don't know if I'm going to ship in plain boxes or get a bit fancier by using custom graphics. Well, that's still something in the backburner, I haven't even given this case a proper name :p
There's still a lot of work to be done in testing out parts and compatibility with the case. The frame I received to build this case isn't perfect, and will need to figure out the kinks more as continue.

It APPEARS that even with a GPU installed, an 80mm fan could be fit above the cooler. I cant wait, and I would gladly help design packaging/instructions (I like mundane tasks). Check out U-Line- they have alot of packing stuff, looking forward to the update with a "FOR SALE" sign

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It APPEARS that even with a GPU installed, an 80mm fan could be fit above the cooler. I cant wait, and I would gladly help design packaging/instructions (I like mundane tasks). Check out U-Line- they have alot of packing stuff, looking forward to the update with a "FOR SALE" sign

Yeah, it looks like you could fit a 80mm or 92mm fan above the cooler. Especially if used with a low profile copper heatsink.

Thanks for the suggestion. U-Line looks affordable to me. I was originally considering PackLane since their custom packaging is intuitive. But quantity matters for pricing.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, it looks like you could fit a 80mm or 92mm fan above the cooler. Especially if used with a low profile copper heatsink.

Thanks for the suggestion. U-Line looks affordable to me. I was originally considering PackLane since their custom packaging is intuitive. But quantity matters for pricing.

IMO, nobody will care about labeled packaging. I would just as soon save a few dollars toward thermal paste than have custom graphics on the box that I'll probably just throw away. That's my 2C-

Windfall

Reactions: MultiDoc

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
IMO, nobody will care about labeled packaging. I would just as soon save a few dollars toward thermal paste than have custom graphics on the box that I'll probably just throw away. That's my 2C-

Windfall

I'm just wondering if these kinds of finishing touches will be great for promotional purposes, like if I give someone a review sample so they can talk about it in their blog or video. Some of the indie-made cases here use custom graphics on their packaging, and some don't so I'm still deciding.