Project Retron: The Road to American Manufacturing

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Lease signed, 1800 sq ft.

Hunting for liability insurance is a pain. All of the fancy online services suck, one company ghosted my appointment (coverwallet, F U!). They call you at random hours of the day, they don't have a simple call back number, and they're completely off the mark. Auto liability is 100x easier to buy despite being riskier and more expensive.

This is so dumb.

grant

Cable Smoosher
Jan 21, 2019
This week, I will submit my application to convert my DBA to an LLC. This will grant me more protection, at the cost of increased expenses and accountability.
I'm curious what you think you need protection from?

Good luck in your ventures.

grant

Cable Smoosher
Jan 21, 2019
Lawsuits. It can be some as obscure as someone walks into the store and trips and sues me.
In that case I hope you are also being prudent and purchase adequate liability insurance; even if your personal assets are shielded from a lawsuit It would be terrible if your LLC was made insolvent.

Ugh, the joys of the American legal system. The fact that you have to be covered for BS like that rather than focusing on what you're actually supposed to be doing ...
It's also one of the greatest strengths of America: where people can be held to account for their responsibilities.

Unless you think maintaining a safe business space is "BS" and falls outside of what business owners are "actually supposed to be doing". I disagree with anyone who believes that.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It's also one of the greatest strengths of America: where people can be held to account for their responsibilities.

Unless you think maintaining a safe business space is "BS" and falls outside of what business owners are "actually supposed to be doing". I disagree with anyone who believes that.
You're joking, right? Did you see the example provided? The US is pretty much the only place in the world where lawsuits like that are allowed to proceed, and where the legal definition of "your responsibility" goes far, far beyond any reasonable understanding of the term. One thing is not being negligent (i.e. not digging a hole in the floor and leaving it open and with no warnings so someone can fall in) - that is entirely reasonable - but what was described here is the exact kind of frivolous lawsuit that makes the US legal system a joke. That things like that are allowed to proceed (meaning that even if you don't lose you are spending massive amounts on legal fees) is a travesty.

If you honestly believe people are held more to account for their responsibilities in the US than elsewhere, you need to adjust your view of reality. There are very obviously worse places in the world, but also ones that make clear just how broken the US legal system (both civil and criminal) is.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz