Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Currently debating on one of the two press brake choices:

35" servo electric
48" hybrid hydraulic

I am concerned that the smaller one will have increased setup time due to being shorter. If I had a bigger budget, I would go for the new trumpf 2100 10 footer.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Of course, if I had the budget I would also buy the Trumpf ?

We have a pretty small CNC bending machine and this is perfectly enough for something like computer cases or our industrial products. It doesn't take too much time for setup as to justify the higher machine price. As a startup I would go smaller/cheaper at the beginning. If things are running well, you still can upgrade after a few years.

Is it possible to rent machines in the US, based on yearly contracts? That's what many smaller companies in Germany are doing if they need e.g. a Trumpf punching or laser machine.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Of course, if I had the budget I would also buy the Trumpf ?

We have a pretty small CNC bending machine and this is perfectly enough for something like computer cases or our industrial products. It doesn't take too much time for setup as to justify the higher machine price. As a startup I would go smaller/cheaper at the beginning. If things are running well, you still can upgrade after a few years.

Is it possible to rent machines in the US, based on yearly contracts? That's what many smaller companies in Germany are doing if they need e.g. a Trumpf punching or laser machine.

I would first need to establish some revenue in order to rent them. The renting terms are pretty costly compared to a loan actually. For those unfamiliar, USA offers subsidized loans for capital equipment an entrepreneurs.

The first year I expect to take on random jobs to pay the bills, as I gear up processes and revenue channels.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
This is fascinating to me as a student of business, and I wish you great success in your venture.

I don’t know if it’s similar in the US, but there has been a move in certain manufacturing sectors in the UK to bring production and subcontracting home from China.
Many companies have found that for small orders, it is cheaper to have them made in the UK, with the benefit of shortened lead times, as there is no long distance shipping or import paperwork to deal with.

I think that the Covid-19 crisis may extend that, as people have realised that relying on facilities far away offer less flexibility and control.
For my part, I hope that small and micro businesses benefit from this; and countries that have lost a lot of their industrial manufacturing bases regain some of it on a new basis.

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
I wish you a lot of success!!

Being independant for manufacturing make me dream! That's amazing to be able to build anything... I'll spent a lot of time on prototyping though ?.

I might help you if you want brand identity, I'm good at that.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This is fascinating to me as a student of business, and I wish you great success in your venture.

I don’t know if it’s similar in the US, but there has been a move in certain manufacturing sectors in the UK to bring production and subcontracting home from China.
Many companies have found that for small orders, it is cheaper to have them made in the UK, with the benefit of shortened lead times, as there is no long distance shipping or import paperwork to deal with.

I think that the Covid-19 crisis may extend that, as people have realised that relying on facilities far away offer less flexibility and control.
For my part, I hope that small and micro businesses benefit from this; and countries that have lost a lot of their industrial manufacturing bases regain some of it on a new basis.

I have had success with it as well, working more locally. However, it leaves a lot to be desired. Being dissatisfied with our capabilities is what set me on this path.

1. American manufacturing is just not set up for small parts. They are very used to making large fabrications, duct work, railings, cabinets, etc.

2. The way they do business is cumbersome. I had to pay for stuff by checks. By checks, I mean, they didn't even have the option of paying by debit or credit card.

3. Our young engineers and designers are connected driven, while our manufacturers are old hats. There is some re-alignment to be done.

So I hope to address these deficiencies.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So the other day, I went to pick up the painting for J-HACK Pure Mk2.

I paid $150 for the job, and I had specifically told them that it was for testing their quality, but they failed to live up to my expectations.

They weren't interested in taking extra care in the work. And it seems like this is the norm.

So I have been thinking, that I should be approaching it from the finishing stand point instead. The quality and workmanship of the finish leaves a bigger impression than how well it assembles.

Getting an sba loan is difficult due to the covid19 situation, so I also feel this is a safe alternative if I can't secure the startup capital.

If you're a powder coating expert, feel free to add your feedback.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
So the other day, I went to pick up the painting for J-HACK Pure Mk2.

I paid $150 for the job, and I had specifically told them that it was for testing their quality, but they failed to live up to my expectations.

They weren't interested in taking extra care in the work. And it seems like this is the norm.

So I have been thinking, that I should be approaching it from the finishing stand point instead. The quality and workmanship of the finish leaves a bigger impression than how well it assembles.

Getting an sba loan is difficult due to the covid19 situation, so I also feel this is a safe alternative if I can't secure the startup capital.

If you're a powder coating expert, feel free to add your feedback.

What about Cerakote vs powder coat?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
What about Cerakote vs powder coat?

I reached out to NIC about how they compare in terms of effort to finish quality. Hopefully they respond.

I am concerned on how laborious it is, and about disposal methods. Powder coat is a solid material so it is safe to dispose of it by regular channels.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Wish you the best of luck with your venture. Would have loved to do something like this but for me it requires some exorbitant loans. The amount of capital required to set up is out of reach for me.

I had missed out on a powder coating opportunity with a well-known case manufacturer here since they are backed up with a lot of work. I'm curious to see more of your experiences with powder coating with other suppliers.

I create a lot of designs, but am 100% reliant on "instant order" manufacturing services like Ponoko. One thing that I have noticed in a lot of these places is that they're mainly limited to 3D printing or laser cutting. But some designs will be prohibitively expensive with either, which is where CNC would come in.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I reached out to NIC about how they compare in terms of effort to finish quality. Hopefully they respond.

I am concerned on how laborious it is, and about disposal methods. Powder coat is a solid material so it is safe to dispose of it by regular channels.
Cool! Seems to be taking off in the cycling world so maybe a good application for PC parts as well.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thank you for those who reached out and volunteered their time.

Currently I am working towards the finishing side the operations, doing paint on the J-Hack Pure Mk2. I'll share information on that as it comes.

Below is the company mission, or my mission, since I'm the sole proprietor. I truly believe in it, and I'm no longer motivated by money beyond the needs to support a modest life-style.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
As someone who went through the similar path (quit a nice job, and started a company with local manufacturing), I wish you all the luck!

I understand the frustration, and how hard it can be to find reliable partners for manufacturing. It looks like it's the same story on the other side of the world as well :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal and Phuncz

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Exciting times, looking for a location ! I can only imagine.

Pretty daunting. For USA business owners the process is as follows.

Know your business and land use type! You need to look up your city code and see where is your business allowed to operate. Since I operate under the "light manufacturing" type I had to determine my search location on zoning that allows light manufacturing. Once I did that, I got a recommendation on a commercial real estate agent and had a meeting to discuss my requirements.

Commercial real estate agent will help you get the deal you need, because they know the market conditions and have the connections to make it happen. Commercial leases are 3-5 years generally so there is a lot of money involved and you do need to go over the conditions well.

At the same time, you encounter a chicken/egg problem. You need to have experience in doing business and show you have income streams but you need a commercial space to operate properly and have clients. I've found why it's such a big barrier to start a business. Everything is damn expensive. You gotta have stupid amount of funds to make money and there's really no where in between.

Need only 400 sqft to assemble custom products? Nope. Need only a 1 year lease to startup? Nope they don't care.

So my advice to anyone out there, who is hopefully living in a business friendly state, is to form an LLC immediately and start documenting your income streams via a bank account. If you're making in excess of $2-300 a month that is when to start.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Pretty daunting. For USA business owners the process is as follows.

Know your business and land use type! You need to look up your city code and see where is your business allowed to operate. Since I operate under the "light manufacturing" type I had to determine my search location on zoning that allows light manufacturing. Once I did that, I got a recommendation on a commercial real estate agent and had a meeting to discuss my requirements.

Commercial real estate agent will help you get the deal you need, because they know the market conditions and have the connections to make it happen. Commercial leases are 3-5 years generally so there is a lot of money involved and you do need to go over the conditions well.

At the same time, you encounter a chicken/egg problem. You need to have experience in doing business and show you have income streams but you need a commercial space to operate properly and have clients. I've found why it's such a big barrier to start a business. Everything is damn expensive. You gotta have stupid amount of funds to make money and there's really no where in between.

Need only 400 sqft to assemble custom products? Nope. Need only a 1 year lease to startup? Nope they don't care.

So my advice to anyone out there, who is hopefully living in a business friendly state, is to form an LLC immediately and start documenting your income streams via a bank account. If you're making in excess of $2-300 a month that is when to start.

OMG I can't believe how your situation is similar to ours in Croatia! I really thought that in US you didn't have so strict bureaucracy and that it was easier to start business but some of the things you wrote felt so familiar.

Just grind it out and don't let anything stop you, beginning is the hardest part, once you have this shit sorted out you will be doing business like nothing else ?

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
OMG I can't believe how your situation is similar to ours in Croatia! I really thought that in US you didn't have so strict bureaucracy and that it was easier to start business but some of the things you wrote felt so familiar.

Just grind it out and don't let anything stop you, beginning is the hardest part, once you have this shit sorted out you will be doing business like nothing else ?

Yes. Thankfully, I live in one of the most business friendly state so the barrier is not as bad as elsewhere.

Some states you have to pay $1000 to before you're supposed to get a penny from your state.