Concept A couple manufacturing questions

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
When it comes to bending/cutting sheet metal, how exactly does the manufacturer decide how much a part will cost? Do they use software to figure that out, or is there a guy with a PHD doing the maths for each submission? I find myself worrying about the cost of every change i make on my designs. I try to think of the simplest way to make something "be", thinking if it looks simpler it's probably cheaper to produce. But honestly i have no idea. It would be great to have a piece of software that i could toss a cad design into and have it spit out its "relative cost" based on list of operations and typical costs associated with each. Like i'm sure certain types of operations require different types of machines to do, and some of those machines are much more complex and expensive and so the operations requiring its use are likely more expensive as well.

Also, my current project has stalled because i need something that doesn't appear to exist readily to the public. It's a DC/DC converter (19v to 12v) for powering pci-e connectors on GPU's. I know there are a couple of options out there that do something similar, but they are all way too big. I would only need like 200-250w continuous power output. It wasn't originally something i wanted to include with the case, but now seeing as how it doesn't appear that i can expect my customers to be able to readily get one on their own, i'm thinking i may have to include it. The Dynamo Mini would work if the 24pin connector was desoldered, but again i don't think that is something i can expect customers to do on their own. Should i source my own product and include with my case, or reach out to someone like Larry at HDPLEX and see if maybe he would be willing to sell a product like this?

@Aibohphobia

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Regarding the first question, I believe Protocase's proprietary CAD software can give you a rough cost estimate for your design.