Project Retron: The Road to American Manufacturing

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hello SFF.Net,

I am the sole proprietor of J-Hack. For the next few years, I will quit my industry job with a salary of 60-70K, to take on minimum wage and see if I can start a manufacturing company in 2020. This thread will chart my progress. I hope it will be useful to anyone who passes by and want to learn about starting their own business, and following their dreams.

----

I have a lot of thoughts to put out on manufacturing in USA. I'm not quite sure I can put it pen to paper. I have always thought it was strange that we build metal chassis an ocean away. I have lamented the lack of a manufacturing opportunities in USA, for consumers and inventors. Oh, there is plenty of capabilities for our other industries, aerospace, heavy machinery, etc. But you will see tons of kickstarters by American companies, projects, being outsourced. I don't think all of them can be captured in USA, but I have always at least felt, some of them are possible.

Sometimes, if you believe in something so strongly, are you willing to put your livelihood on the line? That is my reasoning. Well, there are plenty of reasonings. But at the heart of it all, sometimes you want to see if your dream and beliefs pan out. So that at least one day, you can say you really tried.

----

Aside from my daily duties of fulfilling orders, I'll be working on the legal side of the business operations. Growing up, I was taught, or had the impression, that our government was something to be cautious of. They "steal" our dollars, and are incredibly inefficient. Yet there are so many benefits to operating as a proper company.

The last two years, and this year especially, I have made a point to operate like an actual company. 2 years ago I submitted my application for DBA. Doing business as. If you are a starting out small, this is the path I recommend to take. It's just a quick submission form, and it's inexpensive. You do your taxes like normal, except you declare your expenses. Leftover income is treated as profits. If you don't make more than you spend, you reduce your tax obligations.

This week, I will submit my application to convert my DBA to an LLC. This will grant me more protection, at the cost of increased expenses and accountability.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Sounds really cool. Good luck with the leap and hope you much success and learning from your journey. I will definitely be following along.

Do you plan on having a specific focus in manufacturing yet? Sheet metal, machining, welding, etc.? I picture from my prior life experiences a typical machine shop that does a little of each, but a full manufacturing facility must be considerably different.

My other hobby, cycling, has quite a few American fabrication businesses that have cult followings and are widely popular. Paul Components and King Cages to name a few.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Sounds really cool. Good luck with the leap and hope you much success and learning from your journey. I will definitely be following along.

Do you plan on having a specific focus in manufacturing yet? Sheet metal, machining, welding, etc.? I picture from my prior life experiences a typical machine shop that does a little of each, but a full manufacturing facility must be considerably different.

My other hobby, cycling, has quite a few American fabrication businesses that have cult followings and are widely popular. Paul Components and King Cages to name a few.

Yes. I want to specifically target an all in one manufacturing for prototype to low production. The bigger facilities are better built to handle medium to large productions. I think American manufacturing has dug itself a hole by not making it easy for you to get started. It's a problem that requires solving. Based on my experiences, we're too tied to the old ways of drafting and iterating, while our young engineers and inventors have moved beyond that. We're working in a collaborative environment nowadays. Heck, my local guys don't even take a debit card.

I want to change that. I am not coming up with anything new, or revolution, but just simply following my own ideals and solving the same problems I have encountered during my journey.

For the shop, I will start with 3D printing, CO2 laser cutting. I want to add on more capabilities but I'll need to talk to the bank first. I will need to take out a loan for capital equipment purchases.

I won't be able to capture inventors and designers who are penny-pinching, as I want it to be a feasible business in long term. I want to bring value and quality to the table.

Thank you for your support. I don't spend a single dollar on marketing, and all my growth and progress have been tied to people who believe in the same things as me. Btw, I still remember you have you on my list for a prototype of a certain product. I'll give you an email about it in the coming weeks. ;)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Interesting, I'll be following this ! Quite the step to take, I hope you will succeed !

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I started speaking to a business counselor today. Whether the advice is excellent or mediocre, I am open to learn as much as I can. At the end of the day, I'm the one responsible for the consequences so I try to approach everything with an open mind.

I learned about https://www.liveplan.com/. I am not endorsing it, but my counselor suggested I use that instead of doing the old school word document for the business plan. It's been useful so far. I am still operating on intuition, but the website does help put it down in words.

Reactions: Phuncz

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Wish you success!

Regarding computer case manufacturing in the US, I suggest, if you have some spare time, looking into the closure of CaseLabs. There got to be a lesson or two that you can learn.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Wish you success!

Regarding computer case manufacturing in the US, I suggest, if you have some spare time, looking into the closure of CaseLabs. There got to be a lesson or two that you can learn.

Their failure isn't well documented. I theorize they had leadership breakdown and management failure.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Your venture reminds me of this guy in Chiphell who went all out to buy two CNC machines to design and manufacture his own A4 sandwich case as he was not happy with those on the market. I suppose this was the beginning of his business (Ultra Civilz) and now has his store front in Taobao.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Their failure isn't well documented. I theorize they had leadership breakdown and management failure.
iirc the US-CN trade war was a significant contribution to it. basically the tariffs on Chinese steel & aluminium balooned their cost base and made the business not viable anymore.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Your venture reminds me of this guy in Chiphell who went all out to buy two CNC machines to design and manufacture his own A4 sandwich case as he was not happy with those on the market. I suppose this was the beginning of his business (Ultra Civilz) and now has his store front in Taobao.

LOL wow. Two machines, not one.

Though, doesn't specced entry cnc in China is much cheaper.

But yes, similar situation. I am just not happy with the quality we are getting.

I do not fault Ncase or NFC for going overseas. Our manufacturing is just not setup for that.

There are a couple reasons why I think our industry hasn't been able to do it, and I hope that change that.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
iirc the US-CN trade war was a significant contribution to it. basically the tariffs on Chinese steel & aluminium balooned their cost base and made the business not viable anymore.

Maybe in the short term, but material costs are only 1/5 of it at most. Most of the cost is in labor and machine time. Machine time is how you allocate your equipment to jobs, as certain industry jobs have higher margins (like Aerospace), so it has a cost even if not realized.

The tariff was just a red herring. Unless you're a startup, you should be able to weather a few months of low income. The loss of a major account was what killed them. Tariff remark was just a jab at the political climate in their way out.

Reactions: thelaughingman

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
But yes, similar situation. I am just not happy with the quality we are getting.

I do not fault Ncase or NFC for going overseas. Our manufacturing is just not setup for that.

There are a couple reasons why I think our industry hasn't been able to do it, and I hope that change that.

Sounds great.
If I understand correct, you will also be ready to accept OEM orders, right?
I believe many small case designers would be interested to have someone like you manufacturing their cases in small batches with good quality in the US for US customers. Especially for small batch production the price advantage for manufacturing overseas is pretty small as you always have to count in the high shipping cost to the US.

Are you also planning to invest in some equipment for bending? Would you consider to buy your Machines from overseas?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Sounds great.
If I understand correct, you will also be ready to accept OEM orders, right?
I believe many small case designers would be interested to have someone like you manufacturing their cases in small batches with good quality in the US for US customers. Especially for small batch production the price advantage for manufacturing overseas is pretty small as you always have to count in the high shipping cost to the US.

Are you also planning to invest in some equipment for bending? Would you consider to buy your Machines from overseas?

Yes I will be doing oem work. It'll fleshed out more as I work towards the web presence.

Concerning machinery, the machines pretty much have to be imported. The type of machines I want/need aren't really available here.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I would be definitely interested to support your idea. Manufacturing locally where the customers are makes sense, especially when talking about cases. Shipping a box mainly full of air around the globe is expensive and not very environmental friendly.

Just let me know if you would need some advise concerning choice of machinery from an German Mechanical Engineer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I would be definitely interested to support your idea. Manufacturing locally where the customers are makes sense, especially when talking about cases. Shipping a box mainly full of air around the globe is expensive and not very environmental friendly.

Just let me know if you would need some advise concerning choice of machinery from an German Mechanical Engineer.

I agree.

I have already picked out the machinery.

The choices are slim, at least in USA, unless you're looking for a 100t press brake. Then you have plenty of choices.

Reactions: REVOCCASES