Concept Project Quantum-inspired case for Ryzen APU systems (2.4 liters)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
After seeing some of the concepts here for a Ryzen APU case, I've decided to throw my hat into the ring. This has been some time in development although I have only started working on the current design a couple of days ago.

What started as a mostly nondescript square-ish case now took a more distinct style by giving it a style similar to the case made for AMD Project Quantum. A triangle mesh pattern integrated into the top part of the case for ventilation, with a base piece that attaches to the top with screws that are only visible from the bottom. The base also have a concave curved profile which produces a slimming effect to the case as well as making it appear as if it's "floating" above the surface.

The current concept has some design changes coming up with the base, surface needs to be made wider to accomodate motherboard standoffs better.

I will have a prototype 3D printed out of PETG if necessary to cut costs, but I prefer to go with ABS for production. One of the goals is to use as few different pieces and materials as possible. The only non-printed parts should be screws, standoffs, and the power button mechanism which is yet to be finalized.

Originally the motherboard was to be positioned upside down with a blank cover, but cost of printing that case was too much. Crazy how that works with more surface material to be printed than my bigger case concept with a dedicated GPU, which turned out to be cheaper to make than this prototype.

Case specs? Here you go:
  • Dimensions: 191mm x 197mm x 64mm
  • Volume: 2.4 liters
  • Motherboard support: Mini ITX
  • CPU cooler height: 37mm maximum
  • Hard drive support: 1x 2.5", m.2
  • Power: External AC 12V to 19V (requires PicoPSU or similar for DC power)
  • Material: FDM printed ABS plastic
  • Colors: black, silver, white

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Spent a lot of time yesterday night re-doing the top mesh. It's not apparent from the first pictures, but the hidden edges on the triangle pattern were very messed up. The surface of the pattern was also completely flat, and I wanted to mimic the subtle wavy effect of the Quantum mini PC case.

Aside from that I decided to keep the motherboard elevated more so that the 2.5" SSD is installed underneath, rather than above. This would restrict the maximum cooler height to 37mm but it will make installation and part production a bit easier, I think.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Spent a lot of time yesterday night re-doing the top mesh. It's not apparent from the first pictures, but the hidden edges on the triangle pattern were very messed up. The surface of the pattern was also completely flat, and I wanted to mimic the subtle wavy effect of the Quantum mini PC case.

Aside from that I decided to keep the motherboard elevated more so that the 2.5" SSD is installed underneath, rather than above. This would restrict the maximum cooler height to 37mm but it will make installation and part production a bit easier, I think.

IMHO, the best possible route for installing disk drives in uSSF cases. Also, outstanding job with your project, @CC Ricers !

Reactions: CC Ricers