Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@rfarmer I plan to put the cpu heat spreader back on, the delid is just to add better thermal compounds such as a liquid metal from Thermal Grizzly which has been seen to improve temperatures by 20 degrees.

Also one more thing to mention before I quit spamming the forum with this idea, let me put it this way. If a 165 watt TDP CPU can be cooled with a delid and a 120mm radiator to a max temperature of 68C, then let's give a guess that my 140 watt TDP CPU will cool to 65C. I've also seen a single GTX 1080 Ti be cooled to 50C with a single 120mm radiator. So then let's say we had a 360mm radiator in the case, our temperatures could essentially be this:

CPU - 65C
GPU 1 - 50C
GPU 2 - 50C

So since the case can only have a 240mm radiator, taking a third of that cooling performance away, yes we'll have higher temperatures, but I doubt the temperatures will be higher than 80C. So that's why I think it's something to consider. For me personally, high RPM fans won't bother me actually do maybe that's an option too.

I'm still curious though... do you think you could possibly fit some sort of radiator where the drive area is located in front of the power supply? That sure would help alot actually. If you can't do it, I may attempt to mod the case myself. It sure is worth it if it could be made to work. I'm not sure if you're willing to make this large of a modification at this point in time, but here is the idea:

Using a slim 120mm radiator, you could possibly fit that in place of the drive mounting area and instead of the tube routing through the hole you created there, it could pass to the other side through the radiator itself to then go to the GPU's. This would probably remove some thermal issues though if you were successful so IMO it's worth trying.

If you feel you are too far along on the case design to try and revamp the case to this extent, I understand. The drive area might be something you don't want to give up aswell.

Last edited:

Drerex

Case Bender
New User
Apr 4, 2017
@LukeD I haven't really posted here but have been checking in on your updates of the case. I have to say that it is a great looking design and look forward to it being release so we could buy it. Do you have an estimated date for when you will be selling these to the public? Or do you already have a crowdfunding page? Thanks.

deathadder666

Trash Compacter
Feb 4, 2018
@LukeD I haven't really posted here but have been checking in on your updates of the case. I have to say that it is a great looking design and look forward to it being release so we could buy it. Do you have an estimated date for when you will be selling these to the public? Or do you already have a crowdfunding page? Thanks.

I'm new here because I've been on the search for something to hold a micro ATX board, I'm upgrading my system and I want to move from the NCASE (which is absolutely the best mini-ITX case) to something that can hold a micro. This is the case I want so I too want to know if/when I can my hands on one of these.

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@LukeD so for the micro ATX board, I'm assuming that you're going to be using a CPU pump/block combo again for the pump, but where is the reservoir going to go? Are you able to fit a more standard reservoir now or is it going to be using that square thing from before? I'd love to go back to using a micro ATX board so I could still use an i7-8700K and get my quad channel memory without having to use that x299 mini ITX board I found, but only if the reservoir situation is figured out.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Im not going to use a reservoir this time. The square reservoir mount will still be possible, but I won't use it.
Instead I'll use QDC connectors to allow an easy top up of the system and only connect an external pump when I need to fill / empty the system.
Just like i did for the PC Pro build

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
Well here let me ask this, don't worry about the mounting solution because I'll figure that out on my own but, do you think this reservoir will fit infront of the motherboard chipset?

EKWB EK-RES X3 110 Reservoir

It's height is 110mm but more importantly, it's width is 60mm. I'm curious if 60mm is too thick for the width available in the case infront of the thickness of the motherboard chipset. I was wondering if you could maybe do some measurements then @LukeD to confirm. If this were to fit then I'd probably be happy using a microATX board with a CPU Block/Pump combo from an expandable AIO cooler or something. If not then I'm going to use a miniITX. I'd rather use an ATX board since it has more ram slots, because although I found that x299 miniITX board with quad channel memory options, you're right - the X series CPU's would just be too hot. Hopefully this reservoir would fit though but can you go ahead and check for me?

Reactions: Biowarejak

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
It won't fit. The PUMP / BLOCK combo from EK i was using is also 60 mm. And it fits when sitting flush against the centre of the case.
Your best case is to use a flow indicator as a reservoir. E.g. the one from Primochill i used previously.
Just remove the flow indicator inside it and it makes for a nice tiny reservoir :)

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
Oh. That's what that was. Hmmm I mean it's not that big but I guess it would work. It's not like a reservoir I might have found that would fit would offer much more space anyways. I'll have to think hard about this - but I'm probably gonna end up going with an ITX board. This does look like it would be nice though.

KaPow

Case Bender
New User
Feb 8, 2018
Could something like this from phanteks work?
Although I am guessing if the EK reservoir doesn't fit, then the pump wouldn't fit with this either.
looks like 37mm deep, 56mm with pump.

kamil0099

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 4, 2018
I'm going to look into making a white version. Pending some samples, we'll see if it looks good or not ;)
The noctua dh14/15 are too tall. Max clearance is 54 mm for CPU cooler. You would have to go with something like: nh-l9a
You can use an asus b350m motherboard for sure :)

Wow, got a replay from the creator itself! Damn, that felt so nice. You see a big Youtube star video about other persons somewhere in the word case prototype and don't think u will even get a replay at all but here it is:)))) my belief in world is restored.

Anyways, jupi -will await the results of those testings! just please make sure to explain how can I buy it.
Also, uh duh so now I wonder if I can't fit 14/15 how will i replace smaller cooling input on cpu, more fans?
How to put those? 1 noctua 9 on cpu, 2 noctua NF-F12-PWM from the right, 1 from the left and 1 on bottom and 2 from above? I consider for rest Corsair AF120 or SP120 -dunno the difference and quality.
Cables: 8, 4, 6+2, 24 pin?
King mod services mats?

Last edited:

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
Also @LukeD just incase the pump/reservoir combo that @kamil0099 posted doesn't fit, what about going back to the idea of having the pump be part of the CPU block from like an expandable AIO unit or something and only mount a reservoir above the motherboard chipset. I found this reservoir which is much thinner than the one I suggested earlier and hope that it fits.

Swiftech MCRES Micro v2

If mounted sideways like I intend to do, it's thickness is only 38mm and it's height is 101mm. Hopefully atleast this will fit. Maybe you could even fill the loop with an external res/pump and then close it off but I still want their to be a reservoir so that there will never be air gaps in the loop so I feel this is pretty necessary to have.

So Luke do you mind doing some measurements and seeing if this might fit?

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016

Wow, got a replay from the creator itself! Damn, that felt so nice. You see a big Youtube star video about other persons somewhere in the word case prototype and don't think u will even get a replay at all but here it is:)))) my belief in world is restored.

Anyways, jupi -will await the results of those testings! just please make sure to explain how can I buy it.
Also, uh duh so now I wonder if I can't fit 14/15 how will i replace smaller cooling input on cpu, more fans?
How to put those? 1 noctua 9 on cpu, 2 noctua NF-F12-PWM from the right, 1 from the left and 1 on bottom and 2 from above? I consider for rest Corsair AF120 or SP120 -dunno the difference and quality.
Cables: 8, 4, 6+2, 24 pin?
King mod services mats?

I try to do my best to answer everyone's questions :)
I will let everyone know how this case can be bought when its available.

So if you use the small cooling unit like the nh-l9a, you can use a 92mm->120mm adapter and put a slim 120mm fan on it. This will make it a little cooler.
Also, the stock 92mm adapter should be enough to cool 1700 and 1700x not overclocked i believe. It certainly handled a 7700k without issues.
Please note there is no fan mounts at the bottom and top of the case. Only the front: 2 x 120 mm.

In terms of cables, you will need the following:
EPS CPU (8 pin)
ATX24 (24pin)
Whatever GPU power you need.
Some SATA power for SSD's/HDD's.

I ordered some custom cables from CableMod with the following lengths if you want to order custom made ones.

These lengths should be good if you plan on using the Silverstone SFX-L PSU and mATX motherboard:

24 ATX = 450 mm
8 EPS = 700 mm
8+6 PCI-E = 200mm + 100mm

Also @LukeD just incase the pump/reservoir combo that @kamil0099 posted doesn't fit, what about going back to the idea of having the pump be part of the CPU block from like an expandable AIO unit or something and only mount a reservoir above the motherboard chipset. I found this reservoir which is much thinner than the one I suggested earlier and hope that it fits.

Swiftech MCRES Micro v2

If mounted sideways like I intend to do, it's thickness is only 38mm and it's height is 101mm. Hopefully atleast this will fit. Maybe you could even fill the loop with an external res/pump and then close it off but I still want their to be a reservoir so that there will never be air gaps in the loop so I feel this is pretty necessary to have.

So Luke do you mind doing some measurements and seeing if this might fit?

I've got this MicroRes at home :)
Im pretty sure it fits, but i'll confirm

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@LukeD if that fits properly then that would be great - I'd actually consider using a microATX board since that would be a more practical system of a water cooling loop in my opinion.

kamil0099

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 4, 2018
I try to do my best to answer everyone's questions :)
I will let everyone know how this case can be bought when its available.

So if you use the small cooling unit like the nh-l9a, you can use a 92mm->120mm adapter and put a slim 120mm fan on it. This will make it a little cooler.
Also, the stock 92mm adapter should be enough to cool 1700 and 1700x not overclocked i believe. It certainly handled a 7700k without issues.
Please note there is no fan mounts at the bottom and top of the case. Only the front: 2 x 120 mm.

In terms of cables, you will need the following:
EPS CPU (8 pin)
ATX24 (24pin)
Whatever GPU power you need.
Some SATA power for SSD's/HDD's.

I ordered some custom cables from CableMod with the following lengths if you want to order custom made ones.

These lengths should be good if you plan on using the Silverstone SFX-L PSU and mATX motherboard:

24 ATX = 450 mm
8 EPS = 700 mm

Will think about it! thanks for the info.

New stuff: this guy says something to update motherboard for ryzen 2 and I'm confused do I have to buy ryzen 1 to flash bios to my asrock ab350m pro4 or only flash the ryzen 2 or do nothing when buying ryzen 1? SO CONFUSING.