Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

sshantt

Efficiency Noob
Nov 1, 2016
I think I've figured it out, if I have the main GPU connectors on 12v3 (GPU1) and 12v4 (GPU2) and the secondary GPU connectors on 12V1 (GPU1) and 12V2 (GPU2) with the 24pin on 12v1 and CPU on 12V2, at maximum load no rail exceeds 192Watts although max load on 12V1 will be very close @189Watts. I'm sort of a noob at this stuff so let me know if i have it all wrong.

Either way, I'm sold on the case. Cant wait to get my hands on one.

btw in the PSU pic, the CPU's are connected to two rails? I don't know much but I thought that wasn't possible... am I wrong?

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I think that should be fine. I don't believe there's an issue with running CPU's off separate rails.

I'm almost done with the 2nd revision of the case, so I hope you like the changes i've made

The photo below is once again stock standard cabling, from the other side of the PCB, before i changed it. Half of CPU1 & CPU2 plugs are split to their own rails. You can see the rails marked on the PCB.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Does the FSP700-80UEPB have true split rails, or the more common single rail with split fusing?

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Good question. That i don't know :) Might have to ask FSP :)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
UPDATE: POLL

Guys I need your help to decide which way to go:
Add 2.5 cm to the height of the case - this will enable the 2nd GPU to be water-cooled.
or
Leave as it is and only the top GPU will be water-cooled. The 2nd GPU will remain air-cooled.

Please vote at:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I think you're reaching the point where you have to step back and consider whether you're designing primarily for air-cooling or water-cooling.

The beauty of the first prototype is that there is not a bit of wasted space, but if you add room for lots of radiators, that unnecessarily increases the size of the case for those who plan to stick to air cooling.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I agree with Aibohphobia, you're basically changing the case to support watercooling, but it seems this is the second time you've increased volume considerably. This is in SFF project cases one of the more common issues: balacing volume, cooling and compatibility. I for instance don't want to do watercooling anymore, especially now that 120-160W high-end GPUs are possible.

Reactions: Roger and Soul_Est

sshantt

Efficiency Noob
Nov 1, 2016
I agree, since all the components have access to outside air, and the airflow seems to be favorable, I personally don't see the need for water cooling. I vote small size. No twitter so this'll have to be my vote :)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm actually split on making the case wider, but I say don't make it 2.5cm but just 1 to 1.5cm wider. Playing devil's advocate that there's a good reason to make the case at least 12.5cm wide- not for water cooling purposes but for air cooling purposes.

At 12.5cm, you'd be able to support fans up to 120mm in size, greatly increasing the options for case cooling fans. Additionally, it also increases the maximum height of the CPU coolers you can install. Combined, you can have a potentially quieter system, especially for LGA 2011 CPUs.

Edit: I now see that these points were already covered in the October 23rd update, so I don't think any more changes should be made to the case dimensions. 120mm fan support is definitely a good idea.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Thanks guys!
Right now about 80% of the votes are to keep the size as it is.
Ive got the poll running for a few more days. It will be interesting to hear additional feedback.

The additional width, as mentioned was necessary. While the z170 platform was fine in the 1st prototype, there was literally no good cooling options for X99.
With the additional width added to the case, not only are 120mm fans possible at the front of the case, but higher profile heatsinks for the CPU too. People will be able to use larger fans on their CPU heatsinks as well.
As a side effect the AIO 240mm water-cooling is now compatible too. With minor tweaks, expandable loops (like the Fractal Kelvin S24) will be compatible with water-cooling 1 GPU as well.
Water-cooling the 2nd GPU would obviously add to the dimensions but .... the GPU's were never the problem. They were always happy living in their own little compartment.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
The only other benefit i can think of, by extending the space available by 2.5 cm is that it will allow for cards that are taller than reference PCB's, like the MSI Gaming X to be compatible:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Thanks guys!
Right now about 80% of the votes are to keep the size as it is.
Ive got the poll running for a few more days. It will be interesting to hear additional feedback.

The additional width, as mentioned was necessary. While the z170 platform was fine in the 1st prototype, there was literally no good cooling options for X99.
With the additional width added to the case, not only are 120mm fans possible at the front of the case, but higher profile heatsinks for the CPU too. People will be able to use larger fans on their CPU heatsinks as well.
As a side effect the AIO 240mm water-cooling is now compatible too. With minor tweaks, expandable loops (like the Fractal Kelvin S24) will be compatible with water-cooling 1 GPU as well.
Water-cooling the 2nd GPU would obviously add to the dimensions but .... the GPU's were never the problem. They were always happy living in their own little compartment.

Hm, the increased width for better CPU cooling is a valid decision, but I wonder whether you could reduce the volume by keeping rev1's width and making it a little longer to fit one of these. A 92mm AIO should allow for way better performance than a relatively thin top-down blower.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I've actually got one of these at home. I used it in my old HTPC build from many many years ago (intel 3770 days ~ 2010), however I used it with a 120->92mm fan adapter so i can stick a huge fan on it. Works very well but with a huge fan.

So my problems with the Asetek 545LC is that:
1) its pretty much the only 92mm AIO on the market. If Asetek pulls it, people would be screwed.
2) it will be nearing end of life being a 6 year old product
3) Its a very thick radiator, 38 mm, which if i was to couple it with a 25mm thick 92mm fan, it would make the total front stick out at least 63mm ... plus you would need about 2 mm for clearance, so about 65mm.

So hence the decision to move to 120mm because it is a current standard. The front has a clearance for 60mm. So you could use a 27mm radiator with 2 x 15mm fans for a push / pull configuration, or you can use a monster 30mm thick alpha cool radiator and a thick 25mm fan.

Besides, the 545LC would look very silly as a single radiator in that case, because you couldn't mount two. The 545LC is not expandable, therefore you couldn't use it for a GPU for example.

Water cooling these days on 92mm is very difficult.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
All good points, didn't know this was the only one of that kind. I don't think you have to have so much clearance in the front, most people will only want to watercool the CPU - and that's reasonable -, so supporting a relatively thin 120 or 240mm rad in the front is ok in my book.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Once again it boils down to how many products should the Orthrus be compatible with ?
Ive had a look at 120 or 240mm aio's and they are almost all 27mm radiators.
With the exception of alpha cools and fractals (rebadged alpha cool) - which are 30mm radiators.
The silverstone TD02-slim is 22mm radiator. If we were to pair that up with 15 mm fans, sure we could get the front down to 40 mm.
However, once again I would be locking the compatibility to just 1 product (much like the Asetek scenario)
If silverstone pull the TD02-slim from the market, no other radiator would fit. Silverstone AIO's are also non-expandable :(
Decisions ... decisions :) .... lucky I have you guys to bounce ideas off :)

On a more positive note, i found a very nice, flat, flush, black, shallow piezo button that I'll use for version 2 :)
It works very nice and is only sensitive in the middle :) works like a charm - for those that like to touch :D

Reactions: irq506 and Soul_Est

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
On a more positive note, i found a very nice, flat, flush, black, shallow piezo button that I'll use for version 2 :)
It works very nice and is only sensitive in the middle :) works like a charm - for those that like to touch :D

Could you share a link for that piezo?

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Sure, of course: LINK
This is a link to the Australian store that I bought it from ... but there's also a UK one that I know of. Im not sure if they have a presence in the U.S.

Reactions: Soul_Est