Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
MarcParis,

Thank you for your wishes, lets just say the family situation is now stable so all good :) everything is back on track.
With regards to the PSU, and cables, they will not come premodded.
I've discussed with FSP and they said they will modify their 1U server PSU to meet "gaming" standards (6-8pin pcie plugs instead to 8pin cpu plugs), and they will modify the cable lengths to suit the case, however they will not braid the cables or paint the psu. That will have to be left for the creative modders out there :)

Thank you for the tip Aibohphobia.
I have rough estimates but nothing firm. Obviously I don't want to over promise and under deliver.
If you know of any good quality manufacturers that I could approach, I would greatly appreciate your help on this as the prototype guys aren't going to make a large volume run, since it would be too expensive.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you know of any good quality manufacturers that I could approach, I would greatly appreciate your help on this as the prototype guys aren't going to make a large volume run, since it would be too expensive.

Yup, Protocase isn't really suited for larger production runs for designs like yours since they lack a punching machine for those vents.

Last edited:
Reactions: irq506

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I haven't worked with any European manufacturers so I can't speak to that.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
No, they're engineers (or at least one of the brothers is) so they're much more hands-on than most but their cases are manufactured by another company there in Poland.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The top panel would need reinforced to take a handle, but it looks like the PSU is in the way.

So a carry harness would be more practical.

BlackRogue

Trash Compacter
Oct 22, 2016
I saw the Overclock3D article on this case, so glad I found the forum post. I think the concepts fantastic and a V2 that supports a 135 watt TDP cpu cooler would be fantastic for an x99 build that I am currently running and would like to downsize

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
@VooDooAddict - the frame can definitely take the weight. I lift the case up with one hand just by grabbing the top of the frame. However, to incorporate a handle wouldn't be possible. The PSU is right under the top of the case. There is no place there for a "screwable" handle unfortunately.

@BlackRouge - Thank you for letting me know. I didn't even realise Overclock3D wrote an article on it. Yes, V2 will support much higher TDP CPU's and also 240mm AIO coolers. Even though things aren't toasty in the case, I thought it would give people the chance to further customise their builds.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
UPDATE: 23-October 2016

Just to give everyone a heads up. The 2nd prototype is underway.

I've made a number of key changes to the design, which did add 3cm to the length of the case and 1cm to the width, however in return it will:
- support 240MM AIO water coolers, for those among you that prefer H2O in your chassis :)
- support X99 platform thanks to the AIO water capabilities
- support 3,5" HDD's in the GPU bays (if both GPU bays aren't used)
- support taller heatsinks, for those of you that DON'T like H2O in your chassis :)

and I'm leaving a few more small changes as a surprise :)

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Does look like some major advantages there for the new prototype even though it'll take up some more space. :)

But is it restricted to water or could you use other liquids aswell? Like milk and stuff :D

Reactions: Soul_Est and LukeD

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
Oh man, what an amazing build, I'm glad I saw it! It's really interesting to see how other people approach the M-ATX form factor, I'm designing my own right now, the popularity of M-ATX just pales in comparison to Mini-ITX. Gotta hand it to you, I think you've pushed the form factor to its limit. I was going for only one gpu, but it's only 2 or so liters smaller than this right now!

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Yeah its funny how size creeps up on you. Especially when you want to add compatibility for multiple product lines.
Its a balance between size / features / cooling.

BlackRogue

Trash Compacter
Oct 22, 2016
The V2 features sound awesome, how many 3.5" drives would you be able to fit if you just have the one GPU installed?

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
There will be mounting points to secure the HDD from underneath to the GPU bracket. You may be able to get an adapter that will let you fit 2 x 3,5" HDD however, i haven't measured it exactly. I'll know once the CAD designs are in :)