Stalled Project O² - Mostly Without "H"

NYCesquire

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2016
I'm working with heat pipes here

Bending does not have a significant impact on performance, so long as the bend is not greater than 90 degrees. However, changing orientation from vertical does have a significant impact. Ideally, the cold end should be directly above the hot end.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Amazing project you have there @NYCesquire ! I'm hoping you would make a thread about your unique project on this forum so I can easily follow your progress :)

NYCesquire

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2016
I will be making a smaller, though less compatible one around november/december. Look out for a thread then! In the meantime, I will be selling Antimemetic once completed, so PM me if interested :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Now that Cerberus-X is on the horizon and I finally have my future platform planned out, it's time to pick this topic back up.

First things first, the Ryzen platform:

(I apologize for the difference in picture brightness and color temp, I'm doing this manually, I really need to transition to something like Lightroom)

Asus Prime X370-Pro motherboard

The heatsinks have a really nice shine to them. A shame though about the chipset...

Or is it ?! That sticker is not going to last long.

Rev 1.03, for reference.

The Type-C header that'll hopefully some day will be usable.

Ryzen 7 1800X sitting nice and comfortably.

Yes, I installed my RAM after I installed my heatsink. You can do stuff like that when it doesn't have those manga-style heatsinks.

For now I'm running the system without an installed OS, looking to optimize performance and migrate when I'm ready.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Any more progress on this?
It's really cool and tickles my fin fetish.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Recently I decided to sell my GPUs because they should be worth as much as a second-hand GTX 1080. I saw the chance for a GTX 1080 Mini which is hard to get in my region and I took it. While I haven't sold my cards yet, I'm planning to. Because basically the GTX 1080 is about as fast as the two 290X's in some games and in games that don't support Crossfire it's obviously ahead. But it also uses about 1/3rd the amount of power, thus also heat and noise.

Even though I'd like to continue this project, without the 290X card(s) I have to shelf this for atleast a while. Since I have a FreeSync monitor that cost way more than the GPU, I'll be switching the GTX 1080 at a later stage to 'something Radeon'.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
When you get back to this project, I see your board has an input for a 2 pin thermistor, here:

"T_SENSOR"

So if you rig that up to a thermal sensor, which are very cheap, you can monitor the temp on anything.
Which is pretty useful I think for measuring effectiveness of heatpipe systems, and air cooling.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Good point, I'll need to remember it ! Though I'm not sure what I'll be doing with this project in the future. For now I have no reason to stay ATX so unless I somehow have a good reason to stay ATX within the time a decent AM4 mITX passes along, I might completely leave ATX.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It will depend on the evolution of SLI/Crossfire. As it stands now, the compatibility and support for those will only decrease over time and I'm not liking the slow adoption of DX12 and Multi-GPU in these regards. Most resources from game developers seem to be directed (by stakeholders) into loot crate slot machine mechanics, technical progress doesn't seem to be the focus.

Reactions: AleksandarK

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
It will depend on the evolution of SLI/Crossfire. As it stands now, the compatibility and support for those will only decrease over time and I'm not liking the slow adoption of DX12 and Multi-GPU in these regards. Most resources from game developers seem to be directed (by stakeholders) into loot crate slot machine mechanics, technical progress doesn't seem to be the focus.
You know this influence is coming from mobile game, where players love to pay to win (clash royale, etc...).
Once again casual gamers are hurting games industry.

Reactions: AleksandarK

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
You know this influence is coming from mobile game, where players love to pay to win (clash royale, etc...).
Once again casual gamers are hurting games industry.
Could not agree more on both comments.

Game Developers are lazy and greedy. Want only money. They adopt new technology only when they NEEEEED to. Otherwise, completly uninterested.

And yes, casual gamers who pay to win are the worst. We should as a gaming community say no to in game purchases, paid DLCs and "special edition gear only for x dollars".