Production Streacom Alpha FC8 GPU fanless heatpipe Mod

hulkster

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Hi everyone, I wanted to share my experience on creating a heatpipe GPU mod involving the streacom fc8 alpha case.

I have tried almost every GT 1030 LP card and to my amazement, the Zotac and PNY got in the 60's idle/97 load, and the voltage goes beyond 1.000+. The EVGA one was almost perfect but the temps reached 60 idle/92 load, but with a .6000 to .8000 voltage though. The gigabyte reaches 47-51 degrees idle and no more than 81 load with voltage from .6000 to 1.000.

FYI: The EVGA LP SC 1030 with the fan and heatsink as stock fits perfectly in the streacom FC8 alpha or even the EVO builds.

My specs are:

Intel 4765T cpu 35W
1TB crucial SSD
Gigabyte 1030 LP 30W
asrock Z97e-itx/ac
bluray dvd-r
8GB pny ddr3
pico 150W psu
120W power adapter
broadcom bluetooth/wifi-ac

Total cost:
4x 400mm flat 7mm heatpipes from china on ebay for $40
pipe bending tool for $6
extra streacom cpu mount, screws, heat blocks for $30
m3 hook nuts for $10
mx-4 paste $10
streacom cpu short mh1 heatpipes for $30
streacom cpu standard sh2 heatpipes for $30

Sharing the heatsink with the gpu, the cpu maintains temp of stable 40 idle/60 load. GPU again is stable 50 idle/82 load.

I have every set of heatpipes for the case. What I did was to use the left side of the standard and short set of heatpipes to mount on the left side of the case, freeing up the entire right side for the gpu. I ordered an optional aluminum heatsink block from china to mount it on top of the cpu and gpu mount to lower temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: msystems

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Good work and results. Bends look good, too bad that the pipes don't seem to extend through the whole evaporator block on the GPU though. Where did you buy the extra brackets for the case wall, did you have to contact Streacom support to set up that order?

hulkster

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Good work and results. Bends look good, too bad that the pipes don't seem to extend through the whole evaporator block on the GPU though. Where did you buy the extra brackets for the case wall, did you have to contact Streacom support to set up that order?

Yes, I got them through the streacom support overseas. Perfecthometheater has them too, but they are for the EVO case and alot cheaper like $3 a piece. You think it's in issue if they don't extend all the way on the block? I customized the bends because I wanted them all uniform and did want it to touch the PSU and USB headers on the case. The EVGA, PNY, and Zotac gpu die is located towards the back and the pipes will extend to it perfectly. I didn't want that extra heat. Maybe the 1100 series GPU's will be lower watt and will have a better selection.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
You think it's in issue if they don't extend all the way on the block?

My guess is that it could affect the heat transfer rate.

The heatpipes remove the heat from the aluminum block. So if only half the block's heatpipe contact surface area is being used, then the potential transfer rate is limited. Whether or not you would notice a difference though, I'm not sure. My gut feeling is that it might matter at higher TDP. You'd want the heat from that aluminum block to be removed evenly and not to build up on one side.

Reactions: Staxtis

Staxtis

Trash Compacter
Aug 24, 2017
@hulkster thats look PRETTY DAMN HOT!!!
I think you just find me a solution..!!!
Being honest o thought to transfer it like this but i forget it in a sec because i didnt thought to transfer the 2rightside heatpipes fro cpu towards to left side so i had no mount to put the heatpipes from cpu...
What about your temperatures?
Anyonealso got anyidea to improve it wiht some extra tips?like adding some other materials on it or a specific thermal paste??
So mate you use 2Xmh1 and 2xsh2 for the cpu and the custom one for the gpu that is right?
I really cant remember know the heatpipes that i have..I remember that i bought some other to fit better in my system..
I have the Ashrock Z270 fatality gaming fro motherboard...Would you think i would need exact the same heatpipes with you right?

hulkster

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
@hulkster thats look PRETTY DAMN HOT!!!
I think you just find me a solution..!!!
Being honest o thought to transfer it like this but i forget it in a sec because i didnt thought to transfer the 2rightside heatpipes fro cpu towards to left side so i had no mount to put the heatpipes from cpu...
What about your temperatures?
Anyonealso got anyidea to improve it wiht some extra tips?like adding some other materials on it or a specific thermal paste??
So mate you use 2Xmh1 and 2xsh2 for the cpu and the custom one for the gpu that is right?
I really cant remember know the heatpipes that i have..I remember that i bought some other to fit better in my system..
I have the Ashrock Z270 fatality gaming fro motherboard...Would you think i would need exact the same heatpipes with you right?

@Staxtis
Sorry, the correction is the fc8 evo/alpha can handle up to 95W, but the recommended is 65W.
Streacom didn't think to put some vent holes on the left side of the case for the fan to blow out air.
You should get a T series i7 cpu if you can find one. They are only 35W. You can undervolt the 1050 bios if one is available.

@Staxtis
"I have the Ashrock Z270 fatality gaming fro motherboard...Would you think i would need exact the same heatpipes with you right?"

Your motherboard cpu slot is aligned exactly as mines, i have the asrock z97e-itx. Your cpu slot is about 2cm farther away from the wall. The stock heatpipes that came with the case are still too steep for our motherboards. The sh2 will fit perfectly on your motherboard, mines stick out a bit. The mh1 will be about 1cm or so short at the cpu block but will fit.

hulkster

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
My guess is that it could affect the heat transfer rate.

The heatpipes remove the heat from the aluminum block. So if only half the block's heatpipe contact surface area is being used, then the potential transfer rate is limited. Whether or not you would notice a difference though, I'm not sure. My gut feeling is that it might matter at higher TDP. You'd want the heat from that aluminum block to be removed evenly and not to build up on one side.

I ordered another set of 4 heatpipes and I now bended them precisely so they cover the entire cpu aluminum block. I still get the same temperatures as the original four as pictured. I reapplied half a tube of the mx4 and now got a decent 5 degree temperature drop. I am at 47 idle/77 load now. I can use the original 4 heatpipes if I upgrade to another card and it will rule out compatibility issues. You think the case heatsink has limitations at 65W recommended/95W max? You think also the cpu and gpu are sharing the heatsink which is the reason I can't cool it further?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I think you're probably done. You could try disassembling the case and putting tim between the aluminum walls to help the transfer. Not sure if that does anything though. I did it for the hell of it on the FC5. Those cases usually fit together pretty snug already though.

If you aren't opposed to adding a fan I suppose you could drill some holes in the top and put a fan beneath it, surely will help a bit.

hulkster

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
I think you're probably done. You could try disassembling the case and putting tim between the aluminum walls to help the transfer. Not sure if that does anything though. I did it for the hell of it on the FC5. Those cases usually fit together pretty snug already though.

If you aren't opposed to adding a fan I suppose you could drill some holes in the top and put a fan beneath it, surely will help a bit.

Thanks for the insight! I'll check your thread to see how you did yours. I loved the idea how you got the heatpipes from China like I did. Came in the exact yellow tube packaging. This is the TIM I did for both cpu and gpu. I didn't really want to modify the case.

Reactions: Alucard

hulkster

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Update:

I'm always am trying to improve and evolve, so I wish to share of my findings.

I have added a double streacom gpu mount
An extra set of 180mm 4 heatpipes, and a 2mm heatpad for the top panel
and a 5mm heatpad for the side of the top panel

I am shocked the heat dissipation has increased phenomenally and my temps are stable 42c on idle, and 63 on load! At this range, I might even try a gtx 1050 once a single slot, low profile card ever comes out. I think this is helpful for all streacom owners.