Completed Project Jolokia - Tiny but potent

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe, there's 3 extra prototypes that will be for sale at some point. Whether there's a production run after that depends on if there's enough demand.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That was a quick turnaround from design to completion!

Yup, I knew exactly what I wanted and I've gotten better at designing for manufacturability so it wasn't a long, drawn-out process for Jolokia (and STX160.0) like it has been for Nova/Cerberus.

Reactions: owliwar

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Yup, I knew exactly what I wanted and I've gotten better at designing for manufacturability so it wasn't a long, drawn-out process for Jolokia (and STX160.0) like it has been for Nova/Cerberus.

Let me know when you are going to design a console case, both fans up lol.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
300w AC-DC HGPlex is getting closer, available for pre-order now…!

But I hear of a re-designed 300w DC-ATX unit on the horizon as well…?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Let me know when you are going to design a console case, both fans up lol.

Probably never, I'm personally not a fan of that layout since it's so reliant on a long PCIe extender.

But I hear of a re-designed 300w DC-ATX unit on the horizon as well…?

I think that's just a minor revision to address coil whine, not a major redesign.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I think that's just a minor revision to address coil whine, not a major redesign.

Gotcha…

Oddly enough, THIS is where I heard mention of a 'new' 300w DC-ATX unit…

Now that I look back at that thread, I do see that the posting party mentions a revision of the 300w DC-ATX unit; my mistake…!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

I can see this with the feet attached to the side with the solid panel & the vented side panel is the one facing up…

Power button is now to the left…

All chassis fans set to intake…

Noctua NH-L12 for CPU cooler; either just with the NF-A9 in the bottom fan position, or add a NF-A12x15 once that is released…

CPU cooler fans set to blow away from the MB…

All heat forced right out the 'top'…!

Thoughts…?

Also, in regards to attaching the feet, can this be done WITH the existing side panel in place…?

Thanks…!

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Okay, after going back over the thread, and reading some of the L4 thread; I realize the solid side panel is NOT an individual panel, but a wrap around that encompasses the top & bottom as well…

BUT…! Third-party rubber stick-on feet could be implemented…

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I can see this with the feet attached to the side with the solid panel & the vented side panel is the one facing up…

Power button is now to the left…

All chassis fans set to intake…

Noctua NH-L12 for CPU cooler; either just with the NF-A9 in the bottom fan position, or add a NF-A12x15 once that is released…

CPU cooler fans set to blow away from the MB…

All heat forced right out the 'top'…!

Thoughts…?

Also, in regards to attaching the feet, can this be done WITH the existing side panel in place…?

Thanks…!

Interestingly, turning it on its side doesn't work at all for me...
I like the small footprint in its standard orientation, and as mentioned, the ability to put a carry handle on it
/2p (/2c if you insist)

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Interestingly, turning it on its side doesn't work at all for me...
I like the small footprint in its standard orientation, and as mentioned, the ability to put a carry handle on it
/2p (/2c if you insist)

I would be using this for a voiceover audio workstation (Hackintosh running Logic Pro X), so it would be lined up between my near field monitors, flanked by an Apollo Twin & a PreSonus FaderPort; both pretty much short/squat rectangular objects…

Dual monitors floating on arms above the hardware array…

So, for my needs & layout, the horizontal configuration works better…!

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I would be using this for a voiceover audio workstation (Hackintosh running Logic Pro X), so it would be lined up between my near field monitors, flanked by an Apollo Twin & a PreSonus FaderPort; both pretty much short/squat rectangular objects…

Dual monitors floating on arms above the hardware array…

So, for my needs & layout, the horizontal configuration works better…!

Yes, absolutely - we all have different ideas/needs/requirements. A very nice little case, whichever way up you put it!
As they say in the USA - YMMV :p

Reactions: Boil and Biowarejak

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

The mounting holes for the vented side panel and the exterior shell on that side use the same spacing as the feet. So the screws would hold both the feet and either panel when in the horizontal position.

I realize the solid side panel is NOT an individual panel, but a wrap around that encompasses the top & bottom as well…

Correct, the feet can't currently attach to that side so stick-on feet or something would have to be used to have the side vent up when horizontal. I'm considering adding screw holes on that side for the exterior shell that the feet could use too, but I haven't decided yet.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Correct, the feet can't currently attach to that side so stick-on feet or something would have to be used to have the side vent up when horizontal. I'm considering adding screw holes on that side for the exterior shell that the feet could use too, but I haven't decided yet.

Since it would be the 'solid side down', I would think even some sub-5mm thick rubber squares would do; more for preventing the unit from sliding on the desk or marring the desk surface; taller feet would only be needed if there were venting on the bottom…

Reactions: Biowarejak