Concept Tooless Panel Design

mwal

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 6, 2021
So I have a question in pc case design. I designed a pc case with 2mm thick panels in mind, and I wanted a way to have tooless side panels. Unfortunately, because I'm a beginner to CAD using Sketchup, I can't really design functional clips, so instead I used a sort of vertical slide. This consisted of a long open hook/rail on two sides with the vertical rails being slimmer than the overall panel thickness, at 1mm, but extending out from the front and back panel 2mm, and extending to the bottom panel, where two parallel 1mm thick, 2mm tall rails extend with a 1mm gap between. The side panels have thinner side and bottom edges, and slide in at the top, all the way down until the bottom edge goes into the parallel rail gap. Would this work? I may need visual representation.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Not sure if I understand your concept correctly, but if it's a DIY project you could just use standard aluminum (corner) profiles.

Maybe can get some inspiration from one of these projects:

Using magnets:

Using slots:

mwal

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 6, 2021
Just looked at the Sparrow MQ6, and it's pretty much what I'm trying to do, just in my case, much larger with mATX support and a different overall component layout. Magnets will do the trick for the side panels. The sliding panels were like the ones on the Loque Ghost S1.

Last edited: