Completed Project Jolokia - Tiny but potent

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The Jolokia looks very similar to the L4 from Lone Industries.

It is and I discussed that with him before starting.

Basically the L4 layout and design is close to what I wanted and I tried to encourage him to make modify the L4 to accommodate more powerful hardware. But he's designing for more reasonable configurations while I need to power and cool a GTX 1050 Ti and X99 setup so he agreed that it was okay for me to do this design if it wasn't just a straight clone of the L4 that was slightly wider and longer to fit a bigger heatsink and the 300W HDPLEX AC-DC.

So while they superficially resemble each other, I feel that the addition of multiple fan mounts, 3.5" HDD support, possible watercooling support, optional feet, optional handle, swappable front panel, etc. allow Jolokia to stand on its own and not just as a slightly bigger L4.

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2016
Your current layout seems to be very, very, very niche. I guess it's the fact that you're combining serious CPU Wattage with a "toy" GPU (I love my 750TI LP and might upgrade to a 1050TI LP but I'm fully aware that it's not a real gaming GPU ;) ).

For me personally, I'm happy with an L2/L4 case where I can fit an entry level GPU like the 1050Ti + a decent productivity CPU (i7-7700 non-k or k but obviouly not OC'ed) and just have it be a quiet tiny box. My current 750Ti + 77W (i7-3770k) L2 is actually fanless at idle and it's been doing prime95 / Valley for some time now and I've to see a single fan hit 60%. Room temp is only 21°C though so YMMV)

On the other hand, if I wanted more power than that, I'd want a serious GPU, ideally a 1080+ and with that an i7-7700k at the highest OC my cooling solution will let met get. So far I've been eyeing the Dan Case A4 (or he S4 Mini if it turns out the Zotac can be made to fit in there) but I much prefer the L1/2/3/4, Hutzy / Jolokia form factor.

How much can a 2x92mm rad cool? I.e. what would a comparable more "mainstream" rad be? I'd love to see something like @aquelito 's watercooled streacom in the Jolokia. Is there a thread for that project somewhere?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It is indeed extremely niche. But it's what I want, and whether I can find 5 other people who want one or 500 doesn't matter to me, I'm getting one for myself regardless :p

I'm not sure if I'd call a GTX 1050 Ti a "toy", it's plenty powerful in its own right for most gaming, as long as the settings aren't cranked up. Plus many professional workloads are perfectly fine with that tier of GPU but require lots of CPU horsepower: CAD, CPU-based 3D rendering, video editing, photo editing, programming, virtualization, simulation, etc.

Which is why I'm doing Jolokia, all the other cases in the same form factor put too much limit on CPU cooling, which I don't like.

How much can a 2x92mm rad cool?

A 1x120mm can cool the 295X2, so I think 2x92mm is perfectly adequate for many more builds than people give it credit for, though low temps may have to be sacrificed. For example, @QinX had an i7 and a GTX 970 cooled with just a slim 2x80mm rad: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/h2o-micro-sub-3-liter-custom-watercooled-gaming-rig.23/

I'd love to see something like @aquelito 's watercooled streacom in the Jolokia. Is there a thread for that project somewhere?

For @aquelito's build? I don't think so, he just mentioned it in this thread but I've not seen it here on the forum before.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
How much can a 2x92mm rad cool? I.e. what would a comparable more "mainstream" rad be? I'd love to see something like @aquelito 's watercooled streacom in the Jolokia. Is there a thread for that project somewhere?

I've put the project on hold :) I'm looking mainly for silence so I changed my mind and will have a totally different (and smaller) approach for my next build.
I still like the idea but the Streacom case does not offer enough cooling capacities to do a custom silent WC loop.

To quote a message from @QinX, regarding the performances of his slim dual 80 mm radiator :

I've done a 12 hour Furmark run with Prime95 to test maximal thermal load on the system.

The GPU was running at 67C whilst the CPU was running at 86C.
Considering I also had the GPU running at 115% you can understand that the CPU was the thermal bottleneck and not the GPU. The GPU was a GTX970 and the CPU a Core i5 4570 which isn't that hot in terms of TDP, a 4670k or 4790k would've been worse.

This gives you a rough idea of a dual 92mm radiator capacities :)

Reactions: ricochet

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2016
That entire project by @QinX is just amazing. I'm reading through it now and it blows my mind. Custom waterblocks, simulations, everything. Wow. Sad to see it never went beyond his initial prototypes :(

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That entire project by @QinX is just amazing.

Yup, I still consider it one of the most impressive SFF projects ever.

And what's this that just arrived today all the way from Japan?

Why it's a E5-2683 V3! Which if it works (I sure hope it does) will mean my Jolokia build will have 2-cores/4-threads per liter :D

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Link: http://ark.intel.com/products/81055/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2683-v3-35M-Cache-2_00-GHz
14 cores, 2,0 GHz with Turbo up to 3,0 GHz, 120W TDP

That NH-L12 will have quite the challenge cooling that :D

Actually, from what I've seen it should be fine.
It seems these high core and higher TDP parts have fairly low individual core temperatures. So while the heatsink will have a higher temperature under load, the individual cores tend to stay cooler. imagine this being a T-series chip only with 3-4 times the core count. but also surface area.

I've seen this in videos from linus, and I believe over on [H] chemist_slime showed similar temperatures, though I'm not 100% sure, could've also been @dondan .

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup, I don't think it'll have trouble, I've been satisfied with the performance of the L9x65 on my 140W TDP 5930K.

Plus, I'm a firm believer that the TJ Max temp spec exists as a goal to aim for, not to try to stay as far away from as possible :p

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
75°C or bust!

And during testing for the Synjet project, I accidentally let an i3 run for about 15 minutes at 100°C with no ill effect (overtemp was turned off in the BIOS for some reason). Some people seem to think the instant the CPU goes over 90°C the chip will just burst into flames but that's just not true with modern processors.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
75°C or bust!

And during testing for the Synjet project, I accidentally let an i3 run for about 15 minutes at 100°C with no ill effect (overtemp was turned off in the BIOS for some reason). Some people seem to think the instant the CPU goes over 90°C the chip will just burst into flames but that's just not true with modern processors.

Yeah, of course you don't want to have a 24/7 80C to 90C load on a CPU, but for a couple of hours a day it won't matter. I think overclocking would have a worse effect than high temperature, but that is partly speculation on my part.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Hmm, the 300W HDPLEX AC-DC may not be out for a while, the FSP500-50FSPT is on Amazon now, and the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac can boot without the -12V.

@iFreilicht, I may finally be joining your FlexATX cult :p

Do it!

I thought that the X99E-ITX/ac did need the -12V rail.

I could still run a small batch of external -12V supplies if people are interested. I already got a quote for them, at 300 pcs I should be able to sell them at about 10€ + shipping + tax.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Huh, you'd think the ASRock engineers would know for sure but I removed the -12V pin and it still booted up, then I did a restart to be sure, and it still booted.

I could still run a small batch of external -12V supplies if people are interested.

Yeah, with the rumors about higher wattage units in development I'm not sure if trying to get a custom run of the 500W makes sense anymore.

Reactions: iFreilicht

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A cult with a small fee and I get to keep the FlexATX PSU ? Where do I sign up ?