MacPro (Late 2013) mini-ITX case mod

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This case would be amazing for a portable VR rig if it could support a full sized graphics card (980 Ti).
Any plans on also making a version for full sized gpu cards in time for the VR buying craze?

They still need to get this one out the door :p You'll have to be patient for something like that, I think.

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
Hi QinX .. Thanks for comments and your support in hoping that this Kickstarter will succeeds. I have confidence that it will and if funded or not Dune Case will continue to move forward. The market response has been great for the Dune Case as many people love it and want to be the first to get one or wait for it to be reviewed. That has given us validation that there is a market that wants quality build for the PC user.

I respect your comments about the Dune Case. But computers in cylindrical designs is nothing new. There are a number of cases and computers on the market before 2013 that have had cylindrical designs. "Fic Piston" in 2005 did a great job of doing a cylindrical design case and is just one example. But what is different is more the inside than out side and as you can see we did put a lot of effort engineering this right.

I'm not an expert in air flow but I did get an experience CAD designer and engineer from Europe to come to China and work with the factory to come up with the best air flow possible inside the case and best manufacturing practices for the case. I also sacrificed time away from my family in Australia to make this happen. The CAD designer worked with Solid works and other tools to optimize airflow. We started with prototype one, analysed, made CAD changes, then built the next prototype. We did this four times. We used solidworks to Identify heat spots inside the case and with every progression on the case the heat was reduced every time. We also came up with a unique PSU bracket that splits the air into two chambers that has uninterrupted airflow to the top of the case. The cables are nicely hidden in a compartment behind the GPU door mount and not dangling around in the case. In addition there is a large 140mm fan on top that can pull a bit of air out side of the case. The designs of the case is some thing different and in the designs we did our best to isolate the passage of airflow to achieve optimal airflow.

When comparing apple's with banana's you are not going to get the same result. And as stated many times, this is a PC case that can accommodate a variety of processors as long as it supports the Mini ITX motherboard. Also some GPU run hotter than others. If this case was specifically focused on one set of hardware then that is a very different story. If it was, we could of optimized the Case based on specific characteristics of the hardware. It simply isn't. The beautiful thing about this case it can house hardware specs that is suitable for your lifestyle.

All good here bro and I respect your thoughts, but I do believe we have done something new for the PC. While cylindrical designs / 3D shapes have existed for a long time, the uniqueness of this case is more inside than out. Thanks for your comments

Alex

That is not all, I hope? No updates since the failure of kickstarter company. But what about "This is not the end"? So much work and such high-quality well thought prototypes! Dune is simply obliged to reach the market, where there are only ugly monsters, which is a shame to put on the table. This is a great initiative! Please do not give up!

Reactions: Phuncz

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I remember seeing this case a while back, thought that it was a cool way of mixing aesthetics of Apple with benefits of custom PCs :thumb: Quite a pity that it didn't make it :\

Reactions: Sympathizer

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
Yeah, it was the only cylindrical case, suitable for hi-end build and quality enough to compare with the Apple prototype. Moreover, it was the only really nice project of compact vertical design.

Аt first they announced the upcoming return. Maybe after that they were called from Cupertino and asked not to continue anymore?

Reactions: AlexTzone

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
And now there are two of them

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
That looks like trouble...legal trouble ? Also, it feels like Kickstarter is taking on a risk as well, that is, by offering a platform to finance such a project?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Man they are so poking the Apple bear at this point XD At least they followed through making the cylinder case.