Completed Project Jolokia - Tiny but potent

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You had me at custom loop with separate pump

It's possible, as in theoretically all the parts will fit, but it would be quite the challenge. Since I need to fly I will just go pure air on my build but I'd love to see someone try :D

Really interested to see this appear out of the woodwork :D, amazing work!
Internal PSU too; call me a heretic, but i just don't trust laptop bricks compared to PSUs. I'm sure that there are decent external out there; I've never got to investigate that aspect of running a rig.

External bricks can work just fine, but I prefer my systems to be self contained.

Amazing work as always, cannot wait to see more pictures, especially of the internal layout and size comparison to the Cerberus.

It borrows some features from Cerberus, like the vent pattern, but I literally imported some reference components (GPU, mobo, etc.) and started from scratch.

278x278x94mm?

Something like that ;)

Not to play the bad guy, but if that vandal switch is to scale, which I trust that you would have it so, then using your Photoshop scale trick that I learned from your stream, I could in theory work out the dimensions?

Yes, though you'd have to know that vandal switch sizes properly refers to the cutout size, which is the diameter of the hole in the panel for the switch to fit into. Some places call the switch by the outside bezel diameter but that is incorrect.

But if you take that into account then it should be doable to work out the dimensions so I'd like to see you come up with :)

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Yes, though you'd have to know that vandal switch sizes properly refers to the cutout size, which is the diameter of the hole in the panel for the switch to fit into. Some places call the switch by the outside bezel diameter but that is incorrect.

But if you take that into account then it should be doable to work out the dimensions so I'd like to see you come up with :)

Soon™

Edit; I have a 16mm Vandals switch at home and I'm armed with vernier calipers

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Project Jolokia with the optional handle and feet attached.

Dimensions: 236mm x 113mm x 266mm (H x W x D) excluding feet and handle = 7.1L

I thought it'd be right under 7.0 liters but after double-checking I need to increase the height 4mm, oops :p

Construction is 2mm aluminum for the frame/brackets/feet and 3mm for the outer panels. Handle is a machined billet of aluminum.

Removing the side panel, we get a look at the interior. To achieve the slim profile, Project Jolokia is limited to low-profile video cards.

CPU heatsinks up to 88mm tall are supported. I'm still trying to decide what all cutouts I want on the rear. Suggestions?

There are multipurpose brackets that can attached to the top, bottom, or both. They serve as 92mm fan mounts, handle mount, feet mounts (which can be installed on either side, so the case can be flipped upside down), and mounts for the 2.5" drive brackets.

The frame front is also cut out for 92mm fan mounts. The stock front panel is solid but it could be swapped out with a vented panel (not sure if this will be offered or left to the user) or removed entirely.

The front panel is screwed onto standoffs that stick out past the frame, leaving room for the screws holding the fans/drive brackets/ whatever. It's symmetric as well, so it can be flipped upside to move the power button assuming there's clearance behind it.

Dual 92mm on the front. A single 92mm AIO could fit or if someone ever makes a slim 2x92mm rad it could go at the front.

Here's an example build using the HDPLEX 300W AC-DC and DC-ATX. This is the primary build this case was designed to since it's what I'll be using.

Not pictured but there will be a mounting plate to attach the DC-ATX to the front fan mounts.

And with an external brick and a picoPSU-style unit dual 3.5" drives can be mounted at the front of the case.

It's extremely tight but there's room for a 120mm fan+rad on the side panel. Other than the EK Annihilator 1U block though, I think this would only really be practical with a slim 120mm.

The placeholder rad is using the EK SE 120mm dimensions. There's room for a DC-LT pump in the bottom-front corner of the case, and maybe a DDC depending on what parts are used and how much room is leftover.

The feet can be swapped to the side! They attach to the screw holes that normally hold the side panel on.

And yes, I realize the feet look similar to the Dr Zaber Sentry. But I experimented with different designs and really this is the best design from an aesthetics, functionality, and manufacturability standpoint.

And here's Jolokia with it's eldest sibling Cerberus. I actually have another case design that's mostly finished but Jolokia got bumped up since I need it soon.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms? Let me know, I'm curious what you all think.

Don't get upset if I ignore cries to cut a bunch of features to make it smaller though, the design goal for Project Jolokia was to keep it relatively compact but smallest size possible wasn't a priority :)

And sometime in the next few days I'll put together a time lapse showing the CAD work from basically start to finish (minus the feet, which I did today).

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Strictly out of curiosity, will there be an optional rear panel that supports a vertically mounted full-height card? Y'know, something that would use that new NFC ribbon for a 90degree mounted GPU.

Perhaps by moving the C14 up or down on a different rear, that case could then accommodate a full height card like the 1070/1080 mini?
It looks like this sort of configuration would work with an LP cooler mounted just behind the GPU.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
I love it! Sort of takes ques from the L4 but has your very unique style of injecting it with steroids to make it the "dream" build.

My personal thoughts are (If I was to have one) to move the vandal switch to the rear and add some I/O to the front. Two Type-C Connecters and perhaps tiny little activity lights and a power light.

Either that or make the front meshed to allow for better airflow into the chassis. I'd have 4 92mm fans set with the Low RPM adapter that noctua have and have them all run really quietly and aim for a silent build.

Reactions: cmyk78

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That's a very nice selection of components you can fit in there, very cool. What about FlexATX support? It seems like a simple angle bracket would be enough to mount one of those in the front.

Also, for cutouts on the back: What about vents?

duke00

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2016
If you add 1 Expansion Slot then you can use the small matx boards too. Perfect for htpc with small videocard for casual games and one more card like tv or audio Card.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Strictly out of curiosity, will there be an optional rear panel that supports a vertically mounted full-height card?

I was thinking of adding that! The problem is the rear is part of the frame, which is the most complex part so having multiple versions of that is not feasible.

So I have a few ideas in mind to have a full-height card cutout while still making that space functional for people using the case normally with a low-profile card.

I love it! Sort of takes ques from the L4 but has your very unique style of injecting it with steroids to make it the "dream" build.

Thanks! And yes, it's basically the L4 layout cranked up to 11. I'm going to put the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac with custom brackets to fit the Noctua NH-L12 to the narrow ILM socket mount and a 1050 Ti so I needed something with more room and cooling to handle that kind of hardware.

My personal thoughts are (If I was to have one) to move the vandal switch to the rear and add some I/O to the front. Two Type-C Connecters and perhaps tiny little activity lights and a power light.

That's one of the cutouts I plan to add to the rear, a 16mm cutout for the power switch. That way the front panel can be removed for dual 92mm fans on the front.

There probably won't be any front IO because getting USB cables that aren't stupid long is difficult in small quantities and I don't think this case will ever sell more than 100 units.

Either that or make the front meshed to allow for better airflow into the chassis.

The standard front panel will be solid with a power button because that's what I prefer. But it's just flat rounded rectangle with 4 holes for the screws. So it'd be pretty easy to make different versions of it, and I'll have the dimensions for it posted so people could even make their own panel out of different materials.

I'd love to see what it looks like with some exotic wood front.

That's a very nice selection of components you can fit in there, very cool. What about FlexATX support? It seems like a simple angle bracket would be enough to mount one of those in the front.

Haha, I knew you'd suggest that! And I thought of that too, there is room for a FlexATX and it's cables at the front, all it'd need would be a simple bracket to attach to the fan mounts.

Also, for cutouts on the back: What about vents?

Vents would make sense, but like @3lfk1ng suggested, I'm seriously considering adding a full-height expansion card slot in that area for use with a riser card.

Ich you add 1 Expansion Slot Note then you can use the small matx boards too. Perfect for htpc with small videocard for casual games and one more card like tv or audio Card.

If Mini-DTX happens I'd definitely make a 3-slot variant. But the standard version will just be 2-slot because that's space that's really just wasted for most other builds.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Reminds me a lot my Streacom F7C watercooling project, but with much improved cooling capacities.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Hypothetically if the case wouldn't have the slots but large cutouts instead to be combined with a sheet of steel mesh, would it be cheaper ? I'm worried the CNC'ed vents would be a considerable cost that doesn't scale with volume (can also be a good thing ofcourse).

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Reminds me a lot my Streacom F7C watercooling project, but with much improved cooling capacities.

FYI, the picture link is broken.

Hypothetically if the case wouldn't have the slots but large cutouts instead to be combined with a sheet of steel mesh, would it be cheaper ?

Not necessarily because those vents have to be attached to the sheet somehow. The cleanest looking is to tack weld it so then we're trading CNC punching time for manual labor, and guess which one doesn't demand lunch breaks, health insurance, sick days, good pay for their skilled labor, etc. :p

There are cheaper ways to attach a mesh vent but it'd look ugly.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Not necessarily because those vents have to be attached to the sheet somehow. The cleanest looking is to tack weld it so then we're trading CNC punching time for manual labor, and guess which one doesn't demand lunch breaks, health insurance, sick days, good pay for their skilled labor, etc. :p

There are cheaper ways to attach a mesh vent but it'd look ugly.

What about having large square vent holes cut and then getting large pieces of metal mesh that are cut the size of one side. The metal sheet of mesh would drop over the 4 side screw mounts and then get sandwhiches between the frame and the front plate?

Just spit balling -- I really like how your case has a bunch of different configurations!

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
...if someone ever makes a slim 2x92mm rad it could go at the front.

This. Systems are getting smaller and more efficient. It's high time coolers are too, like the Engine 27 and now 37. Water cooling gear can afford to shed a few pounds.

Ooo, almost forgot. Awesome design @Aibohphobia . En-genius how you allowed all the different equipment combinations.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
External bricks can work just fine, but I prefer my systems to be self contained.

I 100% agree with self contained, that was the other point that came to me but I forgot to put down!
Plug in a mains lead and you're away. Not having a brick on the end of a cable to pick up, carry & store is a big benefit IMHO.

It's an(other) amazing design Aibo. Love the feet that can be fitted for either orientation. The inner LAN gamer always jumps for joy when there is a handle option available! :cool:

One query: you show the GPU labelled as Low Profile and Single slot, but the case shows 2 slots. I am missing something?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Dual 92mm on the front. A single 92mm AIO could fit or if someone ever makes a slim 2x92mm rad it could go at the front.

I was lucky enough to find a brand new Asetek 565LC on eBay but they are very rare...

Except this rare bird, dual 92 slim rads are impossible to come by ; only solution is to find enough people interested and produce a bunch, as @QinX planned to do for his H20-Micro build project.

Regarding your design, I would be quite interested, only if the case can accomodate full-size GPU.

The most elegant solution I found for my build is pictured in my previous post.

To do that, you would need :

- a reversed riser

- room for the GPU bracket just on top of the IO Shield. You seem to have enough room to easily accomodate a single slot bracket GPU.

If people do not use this configuration, they can fill the void with a ventilation bracket.

Or a cross-flow fan, HDD, etc.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
What about having large square vent holes cut and then getting large pieces of metal mesh that are cut the size of one side. The metal sheet of mesh would drop over the 4 side screw mounts and then get sandwhiches between the frame and the front plate?

That would work but IMHO it'd look pretty ugly. I mean, not punching out all those vent holes would be cheaper, but we're only talking maybe $5.

Water cooling gear can afford to shed a few pounds.

Absolutely, and I think it's been proven several times that extra thick radiators don't perform that much better anyway, so I'd like to see more slim rad options.

It's an(other) amazing design Aibo. Love the feet that can be fitted for either orientation. The inner LAN gamer always jumps for joy when there is a handle option available! :cool:

Thanks! And I do love having a handle on my computer and I think all future KI cases will support one in some form or other.

And actually, I've seriously considered several times developing an aftermarket handle solution for the M1 but there's no good way to do it without drilling holes.

One query: you show the GPU labelled as Low Profile and Single slot, but the case shows 2 slots. I am missing something?

Oh, the original reference model was a single-slot low-profile card that I converted to dual-slot and didn't remove the text: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/accurate-blank-motherboard-pcie-card-models.25/

I was lucky enough to find a brand new Asetek 565LC on eBay but they are very rare...

Except this rare bird, dual 92 slim rads are impossible to come by ; only solution is to find enough people interested and produce a bunch, as @QinX planned to do for his H20-Micro build project.

You lucky dog! I swore Asetek made a dual 92mm rad but it's not on their website at all so I thought I was misremembering things.

Regarding your design, I would be quite interested, only if the case can accomodate full-size GPU.

The most elegant solution I found for my build is pictured in my previous post.

To do that, you would need :

- a reversed riser

- room for the GPU bracket just on top of the IO Shield. You seem to have enough room to easily accomodate a single slot bracket GPU.

I have a few ideas in mind for support a GPU like that, but I want something elegant and functional though so I'll have to think about how I would implement it.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks! And I do love having a handle on my computer and I think all future KI cases will support one in some form or other.

And actually, I've seriously considered several times developing an aftermarket handle solution for the M1 but there's no good way to do it without drilling holes.

Oh, the original reference model was a single-slot low-profile card that I converted to dual-slot and didn't remove the text: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/accurate-blank-motherboard-pcie-card-models.25/

Thanks for clarifying that, I missed the original single slot part.
Good thing you've gone 2 slot, as the LP cards are still 2 slot, despite those great looking blue single slot workstation cards from AMD.

The M1 would have to have a carrying strap I guess. I didn't find a solution for a handle on my original SG05, so used to carry it in a webbing sling with fastex buckles and a padded handle that was re engineered from a velcro strap for carrying boxes...it's still in a drawer somewhere!
Maybe when the SG06 I have emerges, I could use it for that.

Exciting times, 2017 is looking up

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
My first real gaming computer was in a CoolerMaster Ammo 533, which had a built-in handle, then I had a GearGrip harness that I used first with my Antec Mini P180 then my NCASE M1.

Then I splurged and got the M1 carry bag which I love, though it's totally overkill just for taking my PC from home to work and back.

So I put a nice machined metal handle on Nova and haven't looked back :p

Last edited:
Reactions: cmyk78

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Yeah, I'm not sure. There's room, but I'd really have to cut away the rear for it.

A single-slot card would be much better, but those are in extremely short supply so it'd require modding a dual-slot card, but then at that point why not just let those people mod the case?

It's fun to think about the possibilities of such support, but how many people would actually use it? And how many people are interested in the case as it is for that matter?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
You could just let a single bracket space. There are some GTX 970, 1060, RX480, RX470 that can be easily made as single slot.
At least you would let this possibility to users, instead of having to do a dirty mod of the case.

If left blank, it would still provide an exhaust in case you have two 92mm intake fans on the front side.

Regarding the dual 92mm radiator, I just sent an email to Alphacool to know if they are even going to produce a slim version.
Few days ago I cut the included hoses of the Asetek AIO to recycle the radiator into a custom loop...

Last edited: