Post Your Rig/ Setup

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, that's the main problem. Does anybody know why they're actually that expensive? Is it the lower volume production? Or are there some components on them that cost extremely much?

It's almost certainly an availability issue - not many are made, and even then the parts are limited to manufacturers and such. We've seen similar price inflation for SSD's (among other components) in the secondary market as a result of this sort of thing, with Samsung's elusive M.2 PCIe sticks being the famous example.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Low volume, plus likely higher-binned chips to allow for lower power consumption (cherry-pick dies that pass validation at lower voltage), plus a smaller captive market. There also might be an extra markup for a higher RMA rate, as laptops run on much slimmer thermal margins than desktop cards, so are more likely to encounter actual board or even die failures from solder thermal cycling.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
Jonsbo V6 and C2

Reactions: Tek Everything

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
yep, a pci slot fan controller, the delta fan I'm using only has 2 pins so I have to control it via voltage.
The only reason the case isn't heating up is because that's a 750ti. I could probably take the gpu fan off and run it passively

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
Here's my humble HTPC

Built it originally with the thought of making it as cheap ass possible (I believe it was only going to cost me like $130-$140) but ended up going for things that were a little more than the bare minimum like choosing the 5350 over 2650 or 3850. Also decided I didn't want to use the stock cooler so I bought a silent one. Then I bought an ssd instead of using a hdd that I had laying around ... lol you get the point! Still I managed to spend only $200 on the entire build!... until the cheap psu that came with the case starting making horrible noises lol.. had to spend an extra $50 to upgrade to the Silverstone 300w. Lesson learned I guess lol don't try to skimp out on the power supply!

Actually ended up costing me more than if I had gone with a nicer case like the Corsair 110 or the Silverstone sg05 without an included psu lol
Slightly regret getting this case now but whatever. Soon I'll upgrade but for now I doubt many people use this case so at the very least my little rig is somewhat unique lmao

I ended up choosing a 60gb ssd over a hdd I had laying around because I wanted a quick and sharp user experience I suppose. Since all that is done on it is stream movies, hulu, anime, youtube, twitch, etc. I figured I woudnt' need any more storage. So far I've still got about 30gbs left. Anyways got that hdd as backup if need be..

Just wanted to add that I love the 5350, its such a little beast! Does so well, plays 1080p like a champ, is quad core and its tdp is only like 25w lol HIGHLY recommended for anyone looking to build an inexpensive apu fitted htpc!

All in all this little thing is pretty quiet as well! Can't hear it during the quiet moments in movies or anything... anyways!

specs:
AMD Athlon 5350
Gelid Solutions Slim Silence AM1
MSI AM1i mini itx
Hyperx Fury 4gb 1600mhz (not pictured, switched the ram out)
Mushkin Chronos 60gb ssd
Silverstone 300w sfx 80 plus bronze
Raidmax itx-0907-bp (not recommended lol)

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
A pic from last summer. It's not changed much since then, although I'm looking at getting an ultrawide. Maybe after the new build is done. Smaller case, bigger monitor seems about right to me. :D

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016

My girlfriends new PC, it needs some cable management so it's not quite finished yet. I will be putting some red and silver sleeved cables in a few months as well as getting an actual desk (right now we're using a TV stand and a small footstool).

Build is using an AMD A8 7600 (might upgrade this to an X4 860k and add a Noctua NH-U9S cooler if it will fit! - the A88XN board is crammed against the RAM and PCI slot)

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016

My girlfriends new PC, it needs some cable management so it's not quite finished yet. I will be putting some red and silver sleeved cables in a few months as well as getting an actual desk (right now we're using a TV stand and a small footstool).

Build is using an AMD A8 7600 (might upgrade this to an X4 860k and add a Noctua NH-U9S cooler if it will fit! - the A88XN board is crammed against the RAM and PCI slot)
Thats a really interesting case!

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I found the maker on Chiphell.com - he does a lot of custom designs. It has a few flaws in terms of design and the way its put together but it's not bad for the size. Price is high but the quality is good

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
I noticed no one has posted on here in a while.. here's hoping some momentum picks up!

I built this as a temporary LAN rig until the rest of my GF's parts come in to tear this thing apart and build her PC haha

specs:
Riotoro CR280
AMD A10-7870k
Cryorig C7
Gigabyte a88xn fm2+
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb ddr3 1600
EVGA GTX 660
PNY CS1311 120GB
Enermax Revolution Xt 430w 80+Gold

Reactions: mukul.k