Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

Petano

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
I've got the magedok 156a 4k 15.6 inch. It isn't usb powered but has usb c. I've ordered a usb c power bank to power it. I've had it three days so i haven't properly tested as such. I haven't messed with the colors. Image quality looks good. Speakers are tinny but accetable for the size of it. Less than 1cm thickness. You could always use external speakers anyway.
Gaming on it seems good to me not sure what input lag it has. Response time in the manual says 10ms, so i don't know how that relates to input lag.
Biggest critism is the stand, i've managed to drop it twice already so i've ordered a vesa foldable stand from amazon.

How is it working for you after few days?
I am considering it but I have some concerns about power and don't want to carry around another adapter. Does it work with power from USB-C?
(if you would like to try step up converter but I think it would be too weak - https://www.amazon.co.uk/LANMU-Supp...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=265RAQTYGEGSX5Z7V8X5)

b0bby199

Chassis Packer
Mar 8, 2018
How is it working for you after few days?
I am considering it but I have some concerns about power and don't want to carry around another adapter. Does it work with power from USB-C?
(if you would like to try step up converter but I think it would be too weak - https://www.amazon.co.uk/LANMU-Supp...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=265RAQTYGEGSX5Z7V8X5)
Hi no i tried with a power bank. It didn't work. I emailed them and they said no. They said the next model will be powered by usb c.
I tried one of those step up adapters but a different make. It didn't work for me. The screen keeps rebooting. It did stay on for about 5minutes once. So i don't know whats going on with it.

The screen is great but not in the sunlight because of the matte finish to the screen. Gaming seems responsive enough to me.
I got the 13.3 1440p today. I will post later my thoughts. Only just got back home from work.

Last edited:

b0bby199

Chassis Packer
Mar 8, 2018

Picture isn't washed out real world just my camera.

Size comparison 13.3 and 15.6

Ok had a quick go with with 13.3 one. Picture looks great.
Pretty cool that its powered by micro usb. Had a quick go on doom. Seemed great.
The screen is glossy which i prefer.quality is spot on.
I'll have a proper days use and report back any shortcomings. Was only £120. A lot cheaper than the competition it has.

Lunaray

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 12, 2018

Picture isn't washed out real world just my camera.

Size comparison 13.3 and 15.6

Ok had a quick go with with 13.3 one. Picture looks great.
Pretty cool that its powered by micro usb. Had a quick go on doom. Seemed great.
The screen is glossy which i prefer.quality is spot on.
I'll have a proper days use and report back any shortcomings. Was only £120. A lot cheaper than the competition it has.

Nice! Do you see any differences in the colors of the 15.6" vs the 13.3" monitors?

Reactions: Biowarejak

b0bby199

Chassis Packer
Mar 8, 2018
Sorry for the late reply. I was involved in an hit and run car accident and haven't felt like switching on my pc. Between the two the 15.6 is brighter obviously because its not powered by usb. I would say the colours are good on the 13.3. the 13.3 seems to have a more yellowish tint compared to the 15.6. Not bad though.
whites are whiter and colours are more vibrant on 15.6.
I'm no expert though. I know what good looks like to me. These monitors i don't think will compare to the top of the range pc monitors. I like the portability.
But i'm impressed with the 13.3, the picture looks sharp and because of the ease of plugging it in.
I'm still not impressed with the that stand for the bigger screen. It just fell flat on my table adjusting it. The stand is fine for the 13.3 though.
The vesa stand i ordered came today so hopefully i won't drop it again lol.

I think these portable monitors will just get better over a year or two.
These monitors use sharp panels i think. Would love to see something with samsung panels.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Sorry for the late reply. I was involved in an hit and run car accident and haven't felt switching on my pc. Between the two the 15.6 is brighter obviously because its not powered by usb. I would say the colours are good on the 13.3. the 13.3 seems to have a more yellowish tint compared to the 15.6. Not bad though.
whites are whiter and colours are more vibrant on 15.6.
I'm no expert though. I know what good looks like to me. These monitors i don't think will compare to the top of the range pc monitors. I like the portability.
But i'm impressed with the 13.3, the picture looks sharp and because of the ease of plugging it in.
I'm still not impressed with the that stand for the bigger screen. It just fell flat on my table adjusting it. The stand is fine for the 13.3 though.
The vesa stand i ordered came today so hopefully i won't drop it again lol.

I think these portable monitors will just get better over a year or two.
These monitors use sharp panels i think. Would love to see something with samsung panels.

Which 13.3 version did you buy? Any URL?

How do they go for gaming? Any response time lag or something?

VikingJoe

Chassis Packer
Mar 6, 2018
I have been lurking in this thread for a bit now.

Having something that is mobile would be really nice but my needs would be for gaming and most of the examples of what people are using here don't go beyond 60hz refresh and 1080p seems to be the highest resolution unless using the apple retina screens which are pretty tiny.

My dream display would be ~120hz refresh, 15-17" and 1080p or 1440p resolution which got me looking at the laptop displays that are out now. For example, Alienware's current 17" laptops come in 1080p/120hz, 1440p/120hz and 4k flavors and the replacement screens are around $100-$130. With the work some people are putting in to convert some of these displays I am wondering why the laptop displays don't seem to be a popular option?

b0bby199

Chassis Packer
Mar 8, 2018

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I just started looking around at some portable monitors, and in my opinion, it depends what hardware youre going to run with it. If someone has an s4m with a 1070 inside, sure a 120hz monitor will work, but for a small portable build, I plan on using either an AMD 2400g, or a 35w CPU with a 1050ti, so I wouldn't gain anything from having a 120hz monitor.

b0bby199

Chassis Packer
Mar 8, 2018
Nightblade. That monitor looks good. Could you give some feedback when you get it.

Thought id try something other than a pc. I haven't got any consoles.

Portable firestick.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Nice, I've had my eye on it, mostly just the 13.3" version. How long did shipping take to get to you? If this is a viable option, gechic can finally kiss my ass for over-inflated prices on their monitors.

The 13.3" version looks good too I agree. I could play at its full 2560x1440 probably well without anti-aliasing since the pixel density is like the first Macbook Retina displays. I'm a bit concerned about the input lag in some of these units though.. how is it for gaming?

VikingJoe

Chassis Packer
Mar 6, 2018
Are there any higher than 60hz refresh rate portable monitors out there that don't cost a fortune? I found this one from a previous post but it is $800!
https://www.englishtaobao.net/product/558361392114/
I cannot justify spending $800 on a 17" screen and my wife would probably murder me!

I was looking in to converting a laptop display with a high refresh rate but it seems control boards for them are non-existent.

Reactions: FoskcoRS5

Pedro

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2017
I was able to get an old Powerbook G4 15.2 inch Aluminum Chassis laptop. The resolution is 1280x854, so not the best. My goal is to gut it down to the chassis, insert a new controller board for the screen, mount a small keyboard to it and close the chassis back up. It would act as a portable monitor & keyboard combo. This is just a proof of concept and will super fugly as I am trying to make it as cheap as possible.

seto

Caliper Novice
Nov 26, 2017
Here is a pic of my dual 17" portable monitors. They are both 400x250x25mm.

Two of these monitors + SFF PC can fit inside "Personal Item" bag along with a Carry-On suitcase to board an international flight.

The monitors have VESA mounting and can be powered by external battery bank. I plan to connect the power bank to monitor to a Nintendo Switch for future flight layovers.

LUKOS (same as Alienware 17R4 laptop monitor), 17.3" TN 2560x2160@1440HZ 99% sRGB
LUKOS (same as Alienware 17R4 laptop monitor), 17.3" IPS, 4K (3840x2160@60HZ) 99% AdobeRGB

If you guys have suggestions on how to make the ultimate portable monitor, I can pass it over to LUKOS, and if they don't want to do it - I can get the monitors made professionally. I'm always game for better portable monitors :)

Do they make a 17.3 IPS with 144hz?