Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
do you know if they can do G-sync instead of freesync for those of us who have nvidia gpus?

I don't know much of the details because it's a rumor.

The monitor panels I have are also used by Alienware 17R4 laptop. I was told if there is going to be an update, it's probably coming from either MSI or Alienware for their gaming laptops. The most realistic replace the 17.3" 2560x1440p 144hz TN is VA. Since Freesync is really not a thing on laptop computers, if I had to guess, Gsync is more likely.

I just have to warn you, don't expect something like this to be cheap. Be prepared to spend $650-$1000 per monitor. The panel will be very expensive when it is out, and you are getting a custom build on top of a very expensive panel.

b0bby199

Chassis Packer
Mar 8, 2018
The 13.3" version looks good too I agree. I could play at its full 2560x1440 probably well without anti-aliasing since the pixel density is like the first Macbook Retina displays. I'm a bit concerned about the input lag in some of these units though.. how is it for gaming?

So i emailed the support on the website. They said the input lag on 13.3 1440p is 25ms.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I heard rumors that a VA is coming.

IPS response time compare to TN and VA is just not quite there yet.
Interesting, considering generally VA has the slowest pixel response times of the three panel types. Dark transitions are particularly notorious for being poor, leading to the infamous purple smearing on many panels.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
do you know if they can do G-sync instead of freesync for those of us who have nvidia gpus?
Interesting, considering generally VA has the slowest pixel response times of the three panel types. Dark transitions are particularly notorious for being poor, leading to the infamous purple smearing on many panels.

This Asus ROG ZEPHYRUS M GM501 has a 15.6" AHVA panel, 1080p, 144hz, 3ms response time.

This year, you will see more laptops with these types of panel. Don't be surprised if 17.3" is already in the works, maybe even bigger displays.

1070 or up can drive 1080p past 60fps, so Gsync doesn't make sense. G-Sync makes the monitor $100-$200 more expensive but provides less value if your GPU can push the panel past 60fps.

That being said, I can't imagine such panel costing less than $500 as a custom external monitor. If you have healthy budget, then 2018 might be the year to the ultimate portable monitor (short of OLED).

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
This Asus ROG ZEPHYRUS M GM501 has a 15.6" AHVA panel, 1080p, 144hz, 3ms response time.
AHVA is what AUO calls their IPS-type panels. AHVA stands for "Advanced Hyper Viewing Angle," and has nothing to do with Vertical Alignment (VA) panels.

LG makes IPS panels, and Samsung calls their version PLS. IPS was just the name for first of this type of panel, so the later AHVA and PLS panels are called "IPS-type."

Last edited:

seto

Caliper Novice
Nov 26, 2017

Either way, hoping to do 1440p with a 144hz and lowest response time possible for an IPS. If you had to guess, when this year, do you think they will come out with it? I'm only asking cause I will be doing a ton of traveling really soon and was hoping to bring a travel monitor with me. I'm debating to buy a cheap TN to lug around or wait and buy a G-Sync 1440p (Hopefully IPS) when it comes out.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
If someone could find out what panel they use in this laptop, it might be what you are looking for.

The MSI GS65 has a 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), 144Hz, 7ms, IPS-Level. The response time i slower than the Asus ROG ZEPHYRUS M GM501 (

I think @seto is looking for 2560x1440, 144hz.

I am also looking for 17.3" - 21.5", 1440p, 144hz, VA or IPS with low response time in a thin package.

Reactions: seto

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
So my 13" 2k monitor came in today, and I was impressed. The box was wrapped with bubble wrap, came with a neoprene(i think) case/sleeve for the screen. came with a usb cable for power with a usb power/wall connector( i will just plug it in the back of my S4M). an HDMI to mini hdmi cable, a mini hdmi to hdmi female connector, a tablet stand(like the wire metal ones you see for iPads) and a screen protector.

I will post a full review on monday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774KWNCH/?tag=theminutiae-20

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
@MOFO looking at reviews, it seems to be a product with problems:

Update 3/12/18 monitor is exibiting substantial light bleed toward the bottom of the screen due to a manufacturing defect of the lower border of the screen being bent inward and pressing on the sceen. Also the 1440p mode works on xbox one x but only in a strange aspect mode that stretches the image and makes it unplayable, lot of potential, but too many flaws

also it is much thicker and heavier than the Electric magic 13" monitor I bought.

MOFO

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2018
Don’t get me wrong the Electric magic looks great but what caught my interest was the FreeSync and HDR on the Gstory screen.
The EM screen you reviewed is still one of the top picks on my list .
Just leaving my options open.
Any other screens you know that have FreeSync and HDR that are at least 1080p?

visuar

Caliper Novice
Apr 12, 2018
Nightblade's monitor is also sold in HDR (see the other options on the Amazon page).

@Nightblade this monitor does not come with a VGA cable? It looks like it has a (mini?) VGA port on the Amazon photos, but if it doesn't come with the cable then that wouldn't be very helpful (for the occasional server use).

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
it has a mini vga cable port but does not come with one. It comes with an hdmi cable and an hdmi female to male cable.

Petano

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
@Nightblade
Wonder if you have seen this yet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5LJT6J/?tag=theminutiae-20

One question I've been pondering is if anybody has used a graphics tablet as a portable monitor?

I actually recently ordered one. It is ubelievably thin and light.
Picture quality is very good. Not as good as lg 27 inch desktop monitor but quite good.
No dead pixels, quite good colours and speed.
BUT
Because it is so thin it is also fragile. One corner on my slitghtly bended when I had it in backpack together with laptop. Monitor still works but it introduced noticeable backlight bleed in that particular corner. Visible during night.
If you want one i stronly recommend doubletape or glue cover to monitor to increase structural integrity. Cover itself is just magnet and not enough.