Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Does anyone know why Abusemark HDMI version is more expensive than the DP version? (6500 VS 3500 JPY)

Also, in the HDMI page it says "This adapter allows connecting 2048x1536 "retina" iPad 3/4 (see below for compatibility) LCD panels to any PC/Mac with HDMI 1.4." What will happen if you have different version of HDMI?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Does anyone know why Abusemark HDMI version is more expensive than the DP version?
The panel is natively eDP (embedded DisplayPort), so DP to eDP is mostly dealing with external controls and driving the backlight, without really messing with the video stream itself. For a HDMI input, the board now needs to deal with signal conversion from HDMI to DP as well.
What will happen if you have different version of HDMI?
If you have an output with an older HDMI version, then it may not be able to support 2048x1536 @ 60Hz, but this is satisfied with the bandwidth available to HDMI 1.3. The more practical reason is the Micro HDMI connector they use was only added in HDMI 1.4 as a valid connector, so technically HDMI 1.3 with a Micro HDMI connector is a non-valid setup.

Reactions: VegetableStu

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
The panel is natively eDP (embedded DisplayPort), so DP to eDP is mostly dealing with external controls and driving the backlight, without really messing with the video stream itself. For a HDMI input, the board now needs to deal with signal conversion from HDMI to DP as well.

If you have an output with an older HDMI version, then it may not be able to support 2048x1536 @ 60Hz, but this is satisfied with the bandwidth available to HDMI 1.3. The more practical reason is the Micro HDMI connector they use was only added in HDMI 1.4 as a valid connector, so technically HDMI 1.3 with a Micro HDMI connector is a non-valid setup.

@EdZ,

Thanks a lot for the explanation!

Anyway so I assume they'll work with the current HDMI (2.0), right?

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Does anyone know why Abusemark HDMI version is more expensive than the DP version? (6500 VS 3500 JPY)

Also, in the HDMI page it says "This adapter allows connecting 2048x1536 "retina" iPad 3/4 (see below for compatibility) LCD panels to any PC/Mac with HDMI 1.4." What will happen if you have different version of HDMI?

Not that I'm against abusemark products, because they're awesome and Tim has great customer support (replaced an adapter after a year because I didn't use it and notice a manufacturing defect) but if 6500 JPY is too expensive, there are people on AliExpress selling HDMI to iPad LCD adapters for around $30-$35 USD with free shipping.

However, you should be aware that they are not using high quality LED drivers for each string, as the abusemark adapter is. So if you need HDMI and just want to bang out a quick prototype, AliExpress HDMI->DP adapters are cheap and should work (judging by feedback, I don't own any myself).

But if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed by abusemark products. I have 6 of their iPad adapters (1 first run, 1 partially defective, 4 operational) and of the 4 working ones, they've never caused me any problems.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Not that I'm against abusemark products, because they're awesome and Tim has great customer support (replaced an adapter after a year because I didn't use it and notice a manufacturing defect) but if 6500 JPY is too expensive, there are people on AliExpress selling HDMI to iPad LCD adapters for around $30-$35 USD with free shipping.

However, you should be aware that they are not using high quality LED drivers for each string, as the abusemark adapter is. So if you need HDMI and just want to bang out a quick prototype, AliExpress HDMI->DP adapters are cheap and should work (judging by feedback, I don't own any myself).

But if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed by abusemark products. I have 6 of their iPad adapters (1 first run, 1 partially defective, 4 operational) and of the 4 working ones, they've never caused me any problems.

Oh I don't say 6500 JPY is too expensive in absolute term, just wondering why the HDMI version is more expensive than the DP version, since the boards look the same. (Kindly note I have no electrical engineering background :p)

Just curious guys, if you get one, will you get the DP, or the HDMI version? (Knowing that most desktop GPUs have both, but most notebooks only have HDMI)

Reactions: Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
small(er) update:

poundsign over-engineered codpiece ._.
EDIT: wow I just got told, LOL. going to see this idea scaled down a lot, or scrap it entirely for two simple bars to hold the borders of the LCD up. The LCD's kinda too flexible so that was an attempt to fill the space.

Just curious guys, if you get one, will you get the DP, or the HDMI version? (Knowing that most desktop GPUs have both, but most notebooks only have HDMI)
I'd be more inclined to HDMI for the convenience. Buying an active HDMI to Displayport converter for a DP display is another kind of headache

Last edited:

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
small(er) update:

What am I looking at here?

Shameless self-plug: you could always laser cut the case design I posted. Should cost you around $15 in materials/cutting time. Easy to assemble (glue) and mount the panel (screws or foam tape).

Or for the really lazy, buy an iPad digitizer and use foam tape to mount the LCD to the digitizer. Tape the abusemark adapter to the rear of the panel, and use a tablet stand to hold it up. The digitizer will provide enough strength to protect the panel in most situations (though not objects hitting from behind)

I prefer DisplayPort myself. Fewer components, cheaper adapters, politics (no royalty fees for DisplayPort), and DisplayPort is much more common on newer video cards like the GTX 1060 (3 DP, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI). But it is definitely the Mercedes Benz of display protocols. If you want to use this panel with a single board computer like the Raspberry Pi, then HDMI is your only choice.

Corruptedfile

Caliper Novice
Mar 12, 2017
@Josh | NFC Yeah that would be awesome since I would definitely like to finish this project the right way. Now as far as the black panel goes, I actually just called up my local anodizing company today and they quoted me 85 for all the panels, so hopefully having 1 less will be a little cheaper. Though I should mention that im definitely not the best with power tools, at least when it comes to making something look nice that is lol. Now for what its worth ill pay for any labor put into making the cutout (on top of shipping) if thats ok with you!
I can sponsor you a panel if you pay for shipping. They are black though.

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Shameless self-plug: you could always laser cut the case design I posted. Should cost you around $15 in materials/cutting time. Easy to assemble (glue) and mount the panel (screws or foam tape).
Any idea where can i go online for a CNC or laser cutting service? Not sure where I can look for locally 'cause they're mostly business-to-business service companies ._.

as for what that is: it's a space filler for an iPad shell. I got a complete iPad (Air) for parts and dug out everything inside. Now the LCD kinda bowls inside the vacant space, so that's to fill it up. Cutting the shell for the controller would be another story yet to happen

EDIT: (goodness I've been typing this for too long that I forgot this is supposed to be an edit, not a new comment ,_,)

Also: choosing display bandwidth capabilities should come first, although manufactures got that covered, but the choice of using all DP displays or a mix of both should be part of the consideration as well. You can plug a DP source to a HDMI monitor with a dumb cable, but when you want to connect a HDMI source to a DP display you will need an active adapter, because it's not in HDMI's spec to switch outputs on-board. This is the reason why some DP-to-HDMI adapters cost way more than the cheaper end ones, and also why the cheap ones can't do HDMI source to DP display (and yet one-star reviews still get posted)

I'm not forcing you to an all-DP or an all-HDMI display setup, it's just that this adapter thing, more people should know. (do correct me if I'm wrong anywhere, I'm working on old knowledge off my head. Also those not factoring in about HDMI2.0)

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Ooh nice, thanks!

Kinda stumbled into another problem I should have seen before asking actually ._. If I were to go into the laser route, then there's going to be 6 small studs I'd have to make elsewhere and use two layers of different thickness for the main body.

then I realised the boards they have are of pre-determined thickness. And then designing for 1.0/3.0 and 1.5/2.5 layers in the same project...
And that's not accounting for tolerances yet. site says actual thickness may not have the same consistency between boards. I'd wish to take on this challenge of multiple layers and multiple thickness aggregating to the same total thickness, but I'll have to skip for now

So yeah. Unless there's something else methodologically I'm going to have to stick to being able to print the stubbles and the crevices together in their respective heights. I'm a bad person this way ,_,

Note that this is only possible if the DP port is a DP++ port (sometimes, but not always, labelled as such). A regular DP port can only output DP.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Is the ++ labelling still a thing from DP 1.3 onwards? o_o

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Is the ++ labelling still a thing from DP 1.3 onwards? o_o
Yes, though infuriatingly many manufacturers omit it. Nvidia and AMD are the big offenders (doubly so for some earlier AMD cards that had some DP ports, some DP++ ports, and didn't label which were which), but many laptops will also have a DP or eDP port that works as a DP++ port but lack the correct label, or often any label at all.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Found this portable 1080p monitor while daydreaming working..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elecrow-IPS...S4-/263077776492?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

From the amazon page: "DC:12V/2A Power adapter".

From what I know, Molex provide 12V & maximum 10-11A on the yellow cable, so can you power it using Molex connector with adapters like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-4PIN-Mol...-12V-2A-for-RGB-control-box-LED-/252865151083

EDIT: If it's possible, then it should also work with other generic LCD panels & controller boards. Imagine creating a small hole on the back of your case, attach one little plug, and voila :)

Last edited:

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
From what I know, Molex provide 12V & maximum 10-11A on the yellow cable, so can you power it using Molex connector with adapters like this?

Yes, this is no problem. I've run much bigger loads off molex connectors (RC battery chargers) and they have no problem to deliver the kind of power you'd need for an LCD.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Thanks, this is good to know!

Other portable monitor examples with IPS panel & HDMI input. Not bad, I'd say.

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eleduino-10...219578&hash=item3f833599cf:g:Cy8AAOSwYlRZLpDW
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-6-Inch-1...982580&hash=item3ae494cf4f:g:ucAAAOSwX61ZHCWD

Now perhaps we can inform custom case builders in this forum to add two DC output slots, 5V & 12V :p

Yes, this is no problem. I've run much bigger loads off molex connectors (RC battery chargers) and they have no problem to deliver the kind of power you'd need for an LCD.

LOL why did you need to run RC batter charger from molex?

Last edited:

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017

Why buy something from aliexpress that has NOT EVER been QC'ed? Abusemark stuff is made in Japan and is QCed and QCed again when it leaves?

honestly.

Reactions: Soul_Est

cokeabuse

Case Bender
Feb 12, 2017
Hi, I've followed this thread for a while. 9 inch IPAD panel with an abusemark driver could be a solution. But .....uh....
Here is a 13.3 inch IPS 1080P monitor .(HDMI, Multi-touch panel, 102%sRGB, 87%ARGB)
https://world.taobao.com/item/55337...230r.7195193.1997079397.10.Ps9ZGW&abbucket=20

This one 15.6 inch IPS 2880*1620 (display port, Multi-touch panel, 99%sRGB). This one is not available now.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-12641715659.5.45ee61bbPyJO19&id=525139716353
A couple mounths before there was a 1080p monitor available for a shot time which has the same case, hdmi port, not a touch screen.

Last edited: