Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Do you know if any LapDock would do the trick?
Check This Linus Tech Tips use of TB2
If he could do this with TB2, with TB3 you can power even 100w (theory)
I plan to do this, but connecting it just to a Lapdock.
I still don't know if it would work. If it works with cell phones. Right?

Do you mean the HP Elite x3 LapDock? It's pretty expensive for what you get, unless you've found a supplier for less than $499.

I also own the Motorola LapDock. It's only 1366x768, but very portable and the battery lasts ~6 hours on a charge. With the right female-female adapters for micro USB and HDMI, you can use it with any normal PC. I won't say it's amazing, but I only paid 50€ for mine (new old stock) and for that price it's amazing.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
For those of you wanting a stand for your Ipad screens you can mount a lamp swing arm to it and then just move it closer to you. Wendell over on Level1Techs did this a long while ago (4 years ago i think? It was when they were still TekSyndicate) and Ive done it once (failed experiment on a 3D printed case a year ago). Really works great. I dont have the screen anymore tho since I broke it during travel. Really need to get a replacement panel for it.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Video in question:

-------------

Two areas of exploration for my end of the project:
- adapting the cameras on the iPad to a USB controller to be used on PC (edit: sounds near impossible, even with Pi cameras)
- mounting the glass to the house via magnets (like the older iMacs)

Last edited:

brbbq

Efficiency Noob
Apr 27, 2017
Guys, does anyone know if wireless displays exist? i mean, a tablet without an OS, just with some sort of Miracast adapter? ty

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Guys, does anyone know if wireless displays exist? i mean, a tablet without an OS, just with some sort of Miracast adapter? ty

Yes, such a thing exists:

On a more serious note, there are some projects trying to get the Wii U controller to work with PC (including display mirroring) however they're alpha quality at best and it seems there hasn't been much recent progress: https://gbatemp.net/threads/stream-pc-screen-to-wiiu-gamepad.353031/

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Display controller arrived today. Right before I was going out.
Came back and started testing. display panel works (hooray for panel+case for $40!!! (+17 shipping ): )), but no input from PC.
Turns out Mini-DP to HDMI cable I have on hand wasn't active bidirectional as advertised D:< Had to run to the store to grab a DP to mDP cable instead

IT LIGHTS UP. DESKTOP TURNS TINY. ALL THE SPACE FOR ACTIVITIES
(BTW thanks Abusemark, if you're reading this right now :D )
Operation Mini Display Portable commences soon...

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Display controller arrived today. Right before I was going out.
Came back and started testing. display panel works (hooray for panel+case for $40!!! (+17 shipping ): )), but no input from PC.
Turns out Mini-DP to HDMI cable I have on hand wasn't active bidirectional as advertised D:< Had to run to the store to grab a DP to mDP cable instead

IT LIGHTS UP. DESKTOP TURNS TINY. ALL THE SPACE FOR ACTIVITIES
(BTW thanks Abusemark, if you're reading this right now :D )
Operation Mini Display Portable commences soon...
Welcome to the cool kids club ;)

Reactions: VegetableStu

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Welcome to the cool kids club ;)
See I'd like to do this but I'd like a high response time and I know the rt on the retinas is far from it in terms of for gaming. I may go with that AliExpress display that was posted earlier if it ends up holding up well

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
See I'd like to do this but I'd like a high response time and I know the rt on the retinas is far from it in terms of for gaming. I may go with that AliExpress display that was posted earlier if it ends up holding up well
I'm taking it to my girlfriend's tomorrow to game on exclusively. After tomorrow I can give a good review of the response time.

Reactions: W1NN1NG

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I'm taking it to my girlfriend's tomorrow to game on exclusively. After tomorrow I can give a good review of the response time.
if it holds true I know what ill be doing because I know itd be 100x cheaper to build a retina out than to buy the other

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Oh damn this is interesting

Now I'm thinking of making the cutout on the back just for the outline of the ports and the display cable, and mounting it from the outside. Probably a thermal pad too, to stick between the controller and the shell for heat dissipation (was kinda warm when I was testing it with the board on my hands)
Gonna figure out the mounting and sealing. (initially thinking of rubber-ringing the cover of the board to the shell, but dammit I'll grab a cone of sillicone.)

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
@W1NN1NG I played TW3 for several hours and then a few matches of OW and can confirm that there is no noticeable input lag, and I'm coming from a 1ms response time main monitor. Obviously, the screen is small and not the most comfortable to game on, but it really wasn't an issue for me in my couple hours of play time today.
Sounds like this might be a good option for me then

Reactions: Jonny727272