Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Sometime in the future I'm thinking of getting a portable LCD monitor so I can use with a near uSFF system (< 4 liters) that can be used for gaming and programming, and take it with me wherever there is public Wi-Fi available. The monitor size shouldn't be too huge, anything under 20 inches.

As for resolution, I guess it depends. 15" I could probably do with 1366x768, but also going 900p or 1080p would be an option too. I have only looked at a few portable monitors so far. The GAEMS m155 looks nice but what other monitors would provide a similar or better value?

Reactions: SeñorDonut

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017
TN panel? No way...

Gechic 2501H is a great option. IPS-FullHD-HDMI etc. but i find it ugly as hell. It's extremely expensive too.

I was close to purchase a Dell P2017H but i put it off, hoping that i find something slimmer and lighter.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I found the GeChich 2501C which is cheaper but it is discontinued.

How good are Asus monitors? The Asus MB169B is IPS, 1080p, cheap, and very portable. However it uses USB for both its video signal and power. How would you connect that with a system's dedicated GPU?

CaneyJ

Cable Smoosher
New User
Oct 5, 2016

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
9.7inch Retina screen, so it is the highest resolution monitor you can buy right now.

is powered via usb, but it accepts mini display port, so it works just like any regular monitor.
https://www.packedpixels.com/
That's impressive, even buying the bare panel, controller and a case and assembling it yourself you'd be hard pressed to do it cheaper than that.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
That's impressive, even buying the bare panel, controller and a case and assembling it yourself you'd be hard pressed to do it cheaper than that.
I asked them if they were looking into making bigger versions but they said they would consider it for the future.

I imagine they don't have leverage yet to consider releasing other models.